MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

have the chance to buy this engine - do you think it is a CSS engine? Engine number only one "S" but the small cover with 3 holes. What do you think? Regards Jarno

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
One of the most important difference is in the camshaft.

The CSS camshaft has a special "vernier" camshaft timing setting system.
The "vernier"is a coupling system with two discs with a different number of holes on each of the discs and assembled togather with a pin.
With this system, you can have a very accurate setting of the camshaft.
The CS engine has a normal camshaft without this setting system.

All the true CSS engines i have seen were stamped with a second "S"

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
One of the most important difference is in the camshaft.

The CSS camshaft has a special "vernier" camshaft timing setting system.
The "vernier"is a coupling system with two discs with a different number of holes on each of the discs and assembled togather with a pin.
With this system, you can have a very accurate setting of the camshaft.
The CS engine has a normal camshaft without this setting system.

All the true CSS engines i have seen were stamped with a second "S"
That is exactly correct - hence you think of CSS as Camshaft Super Sport and CS as Camshaft Sport.

There is race that I'd like to do but I need a spare engine to do it, if you decide you are not interested in buying the engine would you mind passing the details onto me please?

Thank you.
Regards
Rob

·
Registered
276 Posts
I know this thread is old but it needs some clarification.

The S stamp shown is the incorrect style. I suspect it was restamped.

About the cam vernier - all the overhead cam MV 175 Sport motors had a vernier cam, both CS and CSS. The interesting adjustable cam (split cam) found sometimes was not exclusive to the CSS altho it may have been so later in the CSS 5v.

These bikes are 60+ years old and the moving parts are quite interchangeable between Turismo, Sport and early CSS models. Caveat Emptor.

·
Registered
178 Posts

The S stamp shown is the incorrect style. I suspect it was restamped.

About the cam vernier - all the overhead cam MV 175 Sport motors had a vernier cam, both CS and CSS. The interesting adjustable cam (split cam) found sometimes was not exclusive to the CSS altho it may have been so later in the CSS 5v.

These bikes are 60+ years old and the moving parts are quite interchangeable between Turismo, Sport and early CSS models. Caveat Emptor.
Thanks for those informations, i thought that all CSS had special separate cams setting system that was different to the sport model and easy to spot. If some CSS heads had difference only in the cam profile, it may be difficult to do visual difference between CSS and CS head without a cam profile model.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Does this mean that the engine internals of Turismo, Sport and CSS are except for cam, cam mounting and valve springs, interchangeable?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts