MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I finalized all the paperwork, got the insurance lined up, and set pick up time for 4PM tomorrow.

She's a white and black F3 800 and she's beautiful.

Any tips for picking it up, like things to verify before leaving the dealers, common problems to look for, things to ask them, etc?

Any freebies that came with your bike other than the charger and suspension tool?

Any accessories that are must buys?

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions as I was shopping and encouraged me! I'm about as excited as I've ever been in the last 5 years for something that didn't involve sex!

I hope to be an active member of this community once I get some experience with the bike!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Congrats. All 3 color schemes in the flesh are hard to choose between. The white/black isn't done justice in pics. No doubt she is lovely lovely lovely

·
Registered
560 Posts
Check for the toolkit! I neglected to do so and found that I didnt have one. Dealers not being super helpful.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot!

What is the toolkit exactly? I got a suspension adjustment wrench with a handle. Should there be more?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
So today I finalized all the paperwork, got the insurance lined up, and set pick up time for 4PM tomorrow.

She's a white and black F3 800 and she's beautiful.

Any tips for picking it up, like things to verify before leaving the dealers, common problems to look for, things to ask them, etc?

Any freebies that came with your bike other than the charger and suspension tool?

Any accessories that are must buys?

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions as I was shopping and encouraged me! I'm about as excited as I've ever been in the last 5 years for something that didn't involve sex!

I hope to be an active member of this community once I get some experience with the bike!
Despite a few early problems I hope you enjoy it as much as I have the 675, (two years and 12000 miles)
Collecting my 800 on Friday:mouthwate:mouthwate

·
Registered
32 Posts
New bike

:f4:

Congratulations on your new bike. hope the pickup went well?

The are a few things i regret I did not do before taking off with my new F3, that is the protection of tank (sadle to tank, where you crotch is...) and get a steering damper, that one can wait until the bike is ride in according too manual and you start pushing through the gears :yo:

And of course fine wax for the bike, wheels and paint (I use Meguiar's)

have fun

/Fredrik

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Spleen, as indicated in another thread, there is no “tool kit” as such. Its two very small Allen wrenches and a fuse puller affixed to the underside of the passenger seat. Along with the chain adjuster tool and handle and battery tender you should also receive an owner’s manual, thumb drive with electronic version of the manual, maybe some stickers and a letter thanking you for you purchase. (At least that’s what I got with my 675.)
I know you’ll be in a hurry to ride it home but please take the time to go over the bike and listen to the instructions given you.
I’m sure you’ve read about all the problems so you should have asked about things like the battery. If your bike has the crap stock battery you should have tried to get a new Yuasa or other quality brand in the deal. I do not know if there is any way of telling if your bike has a good or bad sprag clutch. Guess you’ll discover that down the road. :)
I found my chain was far too tight and had the dealer adjust it before I left. It will stretch but it shouldn’t be as tight as a guitar’s high E string before you even sit on it.
Hope the weather is better down your way so you have a nice, dry ride. We’re getting intermittent showers here in the Quinte Region.
Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow. Picked it up 2 days ago, and I've put 650 km on her so far. Wow, this bike is something else...

I've never gotten so much attention in my life. It's insane how many people love this bike. I feel like I'm making everyone's day just riding it around, lol.

A guy came up to me in a coffee shop parking lot as I was getting back on to go ride some more. He asked me what make it was, and said his wife didn't like motorcycles, but that she had made him come and look at it and now wants them to buy one, lol. He then asked how much it cost, and said they guessed it was around $50,000 lol... Women have flirted with me, guys all over the place give me the thumbs up and ask questions. It genuinely may be too much attention, lol. Well, at least the attention from the men, lol...

I don't know if it's just the break in period or not, and the dealer swears the software is up to date, but this bike definitely still has fueling issues. It's perfect when you ride aggressively, obviously, and I actually genuinely like the engine braking , but cruising along at a steady speed frequently sees the throttle behave as if it is on the line between two values and therefore has decided to switch back and forth between 2 distinct throttle openings. I can feel it surge just a little over and over and over again, about twice a second maybe? If I then just slightly move the throttle it goes away and doesn't come back, so it seems there are just some positions on the throttle that it doesn't like or can't get a clean value on. Annoying. IS this just my bike? Maybe I just have a bad potentiometer in my throttle? (or whatever it uses)

The mirrors are useless. Although I've managed to figure out how to see around my elbows, the vibrations are so bad it doesn't really mattter! At night everything behind me is little neon ovals - the traces of the headlights in the vibrations. Never used to get anything like that on the Street Triple... It also seems the left mirror is worse than the right, so is this something that can be fixed with a little adjustment or shimming maybe?

And if you all wouldn't mind, (Paritcularlly Stephen, my fellow canuck?) I'd love to know good places to buy stuff for the bike? I'm in Canada, and my dealer want's $1300 for the steering damper, and I can find it for $750 or so at corsedesign.it. I'm looking for the following items:

Steering damper
Tank protector
Pillion seat cover

And what else does anyone recommend? Are any of the engine cover bits or frame sliders any good? Is the corse seat at all more comfortable than the stock piece of stone seat? Someone said it wasn't, but they advertise it as if it is, so maybe he/she just didn't notice?

Other than those quibbles above it's an awesome bike, and I'm loving it! I don't know how I will ever be able to enjoy another bike after this one. Nothing could turn as quickly or precisely, except maybe race bikes...

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have the same constant throttle issue with my B3 800. It's annoying but not a huge deal to me. It makes the bike hugely difficult to ride slowly in a parking lot. I find myself riding in rain mode 2 gear higher than I normally would while riding around town. Yes, its lugging the engine and its definitely not the best thing to do but I would rather lug the engine than have an accident.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Spleen,$1300 must be the Ohlins unit, right?
I ordered my Gubellini from GPBikes in Whitby Ont. www.gpbikes.com They do a huge on-line business.
If interested contact Jeff Bolt in GP's parts and accessories department. Tell him you want the same Gubellini as he got for me. He'll know what you want.
As I've mentioned in other threads, MV dealers here in Canada at the time were charging $1049.95 before taxes for the Ohlins damper. They didn't offer the MV Gubellini back then. I understand it's several hundred dollars less then the MV Ohlins damper.
MSRP on the Gubellini from GPBikes was $699. Not sure what it'll be now. If the MV unit is similar in price I'd go for it as it has the MV logo etched into it.
However, it's the same unit with or without the logo. If you can save a hundred bucks (or more) by ordering it from GP then go for it. :naughty:

·
Registered
549 Posts
The throttle takes some getting used to. Eventually you'll learn to ride around it. What you're feeling probably isn't fueling issues, it's from the RBW throttle. There's a thread on this and I believe you can get a different spring to resolve the twitchyness. Or at least reduce it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Stephen. Yeah, it was the Ohlins. I can't help but be pulled by the brand, you do just know it will be good and do it's job. I should read up on that other brand to see. Maybe I can save myself some money there... I think the MV Gubellini one was around 700, yeah.

JerryJoose, you're right, I misspoke a bit. But what I was trying to say is it feels that whatever part of the system reads where my twist grip is is giving a fluctuating reading to the parts of the system that determine how much throttle I want. I really am 99.99% sure it's not me. The Street Triple has a snatchy throttle so I learned to deal with that well a couple of years ago. I know the throttle takes some getting used to, it does on all bikes, but I feel this is something else.

I'm pretty sure my bike has the updated spring, but I'll check and see.

Does anyone have a trick for reducing the vibration of the mirrors? Mine really are next to useless, and I feel emabarassed because I dissed the baby panigale for doing that after I test rode it, lol!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Does anyone have a trick for reducing the vibration of the mirrors? Mine really are next to useless, and I feel emabarassed because I dissed the baby panigale for doing that after I test rode it, lol!

Pull the clutch in when you want to look behind you. Otherwise, it's the Italian motto of "what's behind me is not important!"

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks Stephen. Yeah, it was the Ohlins. I can't help but be pulled by the brand, you do just know it will be good and do it's job. I should read up on that other brand to see. Maybe I can save myself some money there... I think the MV Gubellini one was around 700, yeah.

JerryJoose, you're right, I misspoke a bit. But what I was trying to say is it feels that whatever part of the system reads where my twist grip is is giving a fluctuating reading to the parts of the system that determine how much throttle I want. I really am 99.99% sure it's not me. The Street Triple has a snatchy throttle so I learned to deal with that well a couple of years ago. I know the throttle takes some getting used to, it does on all bikes, but I feel this is something else.

I'm pretty sure my bike has the updated spring, but I'll check and see.

What engine map are you using it? Does this happens when you are riding in the NORMAL map?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
End of a very busy week, collected the 800 last Friday.
Monday: R&G tail tidy and crash protectors fitted, awaiting rad guard and frame plugs.
They are now using a 3d scanner and printer to design and develop their parts, very impressive.
Awaiting permission from one of the directors who is on holiday to post images

Tuesday: HM Racing for suspension set up, finding the bike stiffer than the 675, although that had covered 12000 miles

Today: First service

First impression very good, especially the ABS and quickshifter, a lot quieter, as the Zero One exhaust has not yet been fitted, hope to get some track days in first.:mouthwate:mouthwate

The only downside, difficult to hold constant revs around 3000, a bit annoying when travelling through speed restriction area's.:errr:
But will probably get use to it until there is a fix

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What engine map are you using it? Does this happens when you are riding in the NORMAL map?
I'm using a custom map. I think I have most stuff on sport or the highest available settings, except for throttle response which is on normal. TC is still running at 8, since I've rarely bumped into it yet. I don't ride too crazy on the street. I promise you my wrist is NOT moving even the minutest bit and it still does the surging.

Are there only 2 modes for the ABS, on and off? Why do they call it race ABS, then. Is that just because you can turn it off? I always thought it meant there was a third race mode for the ABS.

I'm still in the honeymooon phase, about 1200km or so so far, but I'm lovig this bike every time I ride it. I commute on it daily.

Still get crazy amounts of attention. I looked out the window at work to where I could see it in the parking lot. Some guy was standing 5 feet away from it doing the exact artwork at a museum pose with his hand on his chin and his other hand holding his elbow...moving around the bike just looking at it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh yeah, I wanted to ask! The engine remains hot for HOURS after I turn the bike off. Is that normal? I'm sure my street triple was only luke warm after 30 minutes. The F3 is too hot to keep your hand on, 2 hours after parking it. Is that normal?

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Spleen,

Reload the fuel map, had that EXACT issue after I took my brothers B3 for its first oil change and map update. Second time they loaded it, bike worked like a charm. Its still more sensitive than a normal bike, but not that exaggerated ON/OFF as described.

And if you can, get the Feb 2014 map.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hey Spleen, just curious how well your F3 handles Montreal's crumbling, third-world roads. Back visiting and can't believe how bad the situation has gotten....:mad:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts