MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now please don't get the idea that I'm someone who speeds everywhere like a hoon! However, there's a bit of a debate going on in another forum about the effectiveness of this stuff. The trouble is that no-one has tried it, so the statements are all really just opinions.

I was wondering whether anyone here has tried this stuff (you spray it on your number-plate and it supposedly stops your registration being recorded by road-side speed cameras). If you have, did/does it work? I'd like to take some informed opinions back to the other site.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think this is a typical no good TV-Shop product :baddeal: . If you still believe in it you should propobly have a friend of you testing it first. :nutkick: :popcorn:

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
William Blake said:
I think this is a typical no good TV-Shop product :baddeal: . If you still believe in it you should propobly have a friend of you testing it first. :nutkick: :popcorn:
LOL :)

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I've heard hairspray will do the trick also and I do believe it's illeagal and most likely for a reason...but as WB suggested I wouldn't trust it.

I am however tempted to go there myself now that the police are playing dirty with speed cameras in wheelie bins and fruit crates on our favorites twisties...after they lowered the speed limits as well. :cussing: :2up:

There is also a product called veil that you can put on the front of your bike or car which makes it very difficult for the laser to get a lock on you but it apparently is difficult (not impossible) to get a nice shine on your paintwork with it.

A

·
0 Posts
hi svent
my mate here in melb tried a number of options on the plate thing, as he quite frankly is a hoon, with an animal of a bike, (tlr 1000r) and photoblocker did not work, the only one that works 100% was confiscated by police when we rode to phillip island last year. he was fined $500 on the spot when pulled over. It was a number plate cover that has some kind of glare on it, when photod it blurs, when you look at the plate on an angle you cant see the plate. As i said we or he was pulled over the cop saw it , and took it right off him, and gave him the fine. Harsh. Now the cheeky buggerof my mate, has a gas kit on his number plate cover. Which is very funny actually when he feels like letting the bike rip, he presses a button mounted next to his indicator lever, and it injects a gas like thing that fogs up the plate completly. If you want to know more about it, i can ask him where he got it. One of his other ventures was the hinge lever on the plate, which again when he felt like going hrd, he pulled a lever which he mounted under the seat, andit would lift the number plate up under the seat. Similart to a hinge on a door. When i think of all these little things he has done or concocted just to avoid a fine, it actually makes me laugh. Not that i condone this kind of behavioiur.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I saw a demonstration by the roads authority of this stuff... the light from the flash on the camera reflects back and the number plate appears white in the photo. HOWEVER, the roads guys demonstrated that adjusting the contrast on the digital photo eliminated the glare and the number was clearly visible.

Of course you could argue they manipulated the image, but to do that you'd effectively have to admit that you unlawfully tried to obstruct your number plate!!!

Doc

Sventekoz said:
Now please don't get the idea that I'm someone who speeds everywhere like a hoon! However, there's a bit of a debate going on in another forum about the effectiveness of this stuff. The trouble is that no-one has tried it, so the statements are all really just opinions.

I was wondering whether anyone here has tried this stuff (you spray it on your number-plate and it supposedly stops your registration being recorded by road-side speed cameras). If you have, did/does it work? I'd like to take some informed opinions back to the other site.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hey, as an anarchist I like you friend's approach.

After all, all is fair in love and war, is it not? And this is war.

Get him to do some "how to instructions" but don't post on the board. :shitfan:
We could circulate by email to list members......

Doc :devilsmok :devilsmok

anothermvfanatic said:
hi svent
my mate here in melb tried a number of options on the plate thing, as he quite frankly is a hoon, with an animal of a bike, (tlr 1000r) and photoblocker did not work, the only one that works 100% was confiscated by police when we rode to phillip island last year. he was fined $500 on the spot when pulled over. It was a number plate cover that has some kind of glare on it, when photod it blurs, when you look at the plate on an angle you cant see the plate. As i said we or he was pulled over the cop saw it , and took it right off him, and gave him the fine. Harsh. Now the cheeky buggerof my mate, has a gas kit on his number plate cover. Which is very funny actually when he feels like letting the bike rip, he presses a button mounted next to his indicator lever, and it injects a gas like thing that fogs up the plate completly. If you want to know more about it, i can ask him where he got it. One of his other ventures was the hinge lever on the plate, which again when he felt like going hrd, he pulled a lever which he mounted under the seat, andit would lift the number plate up under the seat. Similart to a hinge on a door. When i think of all these little things he has done or concocted just to avoid a fine, it actually makes me laugh. Not that i condone this kind of behavioiur.

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anothermvfanatic said:
hi svent
I 'would' be interested in knowing more about that. The WA police are only slightly behind the SA police in terms of ignoring road safety for revenue raising...

·
Registered
422 Posts
DoctorMV said:
I saw a demonstration by the roads authority of this stuff... the light from the flash on the camera reflects back and the number plate appears white in the photo. HOWEVER, the roads guys demonstrated that adjusting the contrast on the digital photo eliminated the glare and the number was clearly visible.

Of course you could argue they manipulated the image, but to do that you'd effectively have to admit that you unlawfully tried to obstruct your number plate!!!

Doc
A similar test was done by a local TV station in Dallas, which proved the above results also. Photoblocker spray does not work on their digital cameras. They showed images of cars with photoblocker spray crossing the intersection and you could clearly see the plates.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Saw a one of these police action things on telly the other day and at night they came up to the back of a car and you could see it was reflecting back the light and the number disappeared . So they pulled them over and did them. I think they found quite a bit wrong and reported the lot.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Here was one test done by a new channel in the U.S.

The test was around Nov 2006

http://www.kcci.com/news/10291218/detail.html

DES MOINES, Iowa -- Can drivers really beat Clive's red-light cameras?

Police wanted to know, so NewsChannel 8 put their system to the test.

This summer, Clive police started sending out tickets to owners of vehicles who were caught on tape as they were running red lights.

Several companies now sell products that claim to fool the camera's flash.

But do they really work?

The products were tested under daylight and evening conditions. Even police weren't sure what would happen. Clive police Sgt. John Brodersen has seen hundreds, if not thousands, of images of red-light runners.

As a supervisor who reviews pictures and videos before the city sends out a $75 ticket to the registered owner, Brodersen needs to verify the license plate. If he can't see the plate, he can't send a ticket.

A company called PhotoBlocker claims its creations will cut down on the likelihood of getting a ticket. The company sells two different types of license plate covers and a patented spray.

Clive police agreed to help NewsChannel 8 test the products because they, too, want to see if anything out there defeats their new system.

"Doing this independent test is something that I felt we still needed to do, just for our own assurances," Brodersen said.

Three products were tested. The PhotoBlocker spray is supposed to make a license plate so shiny that it'll prevent red-light cameras from taking good pictures.

The reflector cover product has embedded particles that are supposed to reflect light flashes. The PhotoShield cover product alters the appearance of a license plate.

Police noticed that immediately.

"I could see where this could be a challenge to capture a clear image," Brodersen said.

To maximize safety, police drove an unmarked squad car with emergency lights and standard Iowa license plates.

The car approached the intersection at 142nd Street and Hickman Road, and officers blocked oncoming traffic.

The car ran the red light twice using the PhotoShield cover. Then the reflector cover was put on the license plate.

"Looks pretty good. I would not give it a second glance," said Lt. Gary Walker of the Clive Police Department.

Walker said he doesn't see how the reflective plate cover will make much of a difference. But what really counts is how it performs in front of the camera. Then it's tested.

Then the final test is the PhotoBlocker spray.

To the naked eye, the plate appears to have a shiny coating, similar to a lacquer.

NewsChannel 8 also tested all three products at night, when the flash is crucial to catching license plate characters and red-light runners.

Police seemed skeptical that the stuff would really work.

But the proof is in the pictures. Back in his office, Brodersen saw the results, which were mixed.

"This one here I would say does absolutely no good," he said.

The reflected license plate cover product has embedded shiny particles designed to reflect flashes of light. In the tests, it didn't work.

Day and night, the license plate is clearly visible. The product fails the tests. With the PhotoBlocker spray, the camera clearly read the license plate during the daylight test. So it was a clear failure.

But at night, it was a slightly different story. Brodersen saw that the plate is more reflective, and he has to verify whether one character is a B or an 8. It wouldn't be enough, though, to get this car owner out of a ticket.

"It creates a little extra work, but it's about 15 seconds of extra work," Brodersen said.

So the spray failed the daytime test. Police said they think it failed the nighttime test, too.

Lastly, the PhotoShield cover test results were reviewed. Police had a hard time making out the plate when they saw it with their own eyes from just a few feet away.

The red-light camera had just as much trouble.

"In this one, they would not be able to prosecute it," Brodersen said.

In both the day and night tests, the camera cannot clearly see the license plate. This product passes.

Drivers could think it's good news that with this product, the camera can't see license plates. Here's the bad news.

Police said because they can't see the license plate either, a driver using the cover is asking to get pulled over.

If they catch a driver with the plate cover, even if he or she stopped at a red light, the driver faces a $63 ticket for obstructing the license plate.

"I just don't understand why people would even go to this extreme. It's pretty simple. Just make a complete stop, and it's safe and you don't have the risk of a $75 citation or a $96 citation if an officer should spot you," Brodersen said.

If police see drivers run a red light, it is a moving violation that results in a $96 ticket. If a camera catches drivers, it's $75 civil fine and not a moving violation.

So far, Clive police have sent out more than 1,000 tickets.

Clive officers said they think as long as they can see the license plate, it's OK.

A spokesman with the Iowa Attorney General's Office said lawyers in his office think that if drivers do anything to their license plates that prevents law enforcement or their cameras from making out the plate, it's illegal.

PhotoBlocker claims its products are legal.

·
Registered
293 Posts
You can have special licence plate with both colors reflecting...
here is an example on a bike I know. For best results, the licence plate has to be very clean.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts