MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished work this morning and had trouble starting, usual checks came up ok and on pressing the starter it was like the battery was struggling to crank it over, then" Phase Sensor" lit up on the dash. Turned if off and tried again and done that another 4 times before she finally kicked into life, each time it ran through the usual checks and always came up OK and a few seconds later the fault came up on the dash.
After it started I had to stop for fuel within 2 miles, after fuelling up it started as normal, on getting home, 24 miles, I put it on a battery checker (BC Bravo) and it came up as 100% charged and alternator pass, with13.9 and 7.1 showing.
Longest the bike has sat without getting ridden is 7 days and started fine, it is normally used everyday.
Yuasa battery will be ordered tomorrow (Monday).
Any ideas what the phase sensor would be monitoring?
Luckily I have a nice MV dealer within a mile of my house so will pop in tomorrow and ask him to whack it on the diagnostics for me to see what's going on and I will post an update.
And no I didn't take a picture of the dash cause I'm an eejit and was just finished a night shift.

Now must get off here before I see a spoiler, Moto GP time.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Red800
I suspect you are about to join the starter Sprag clutch club, difficulty starting and then the bike throwing a phase sensor error are the first signs. Tell your dealer to get a replacement on route to you and ensure they order the very latest Sprag.

A well know 3 cyl fault which MV have been trying to sort for at least two years. A better battery is always a good move but the I would also look at getting heavier duty earth, starter and solenoid cables, just made some up for my B800 which I amfitting today, and the TV very soon. Again another MV weak point.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping you weren't going to say that jimbo ? but apparently my old Italia has developed the issue as well.
Since you know what your doing jimbo make a couple of them for me as well and I'll even give you the pleasure of fitting them for me as well hahaha only kidding but since we are in the same county I wouldn't mind popping along for a look when
Your doing your upgrade to the Turismo I'm in Weston jimbo so Tim will be getting a visit tomorrow.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Red800,
I am in WSM as well, been doing a few photos of my heavy duty cable installation on the B800, will post that up in next few days when I have checked my handy work out. It is a fair bit of work involved getting down into the guts of the bike and as everything is so tight a bit of a pain.

Certainly a winter job when you have a few days spare, the only difference between the B800 and the TV will be cable lengths.

Hopefully Tim can get a few sprags in because they need them more frequent than spark plugs!!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice, I'll look forward to your how to jimbo, have to be a holiday job for me as its my daily ride, I'll drop in and see Tim in the morning when I finish work and in the mean time I'll have to get the recovery number on speed dial, I don't mind not making work but getting stuck at work is never good.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like battery to me. One can hope.

It did sound like the battery had been left for a few weeks and was starting to go flat, but when I stopped for fuel 1.9 miles later and under 5 minutes, I know it was that as the clocks had reset, and when I restarted it was like it had been on on a charger all night, no problems at all phase sensor error didn't show. Anyway hopefully an easy fix, did I just say that!

·
Registered
96 Posts
It did sound like the battery had been left for a few weeks and was starting to go flat, but when I stopped for fuel 1.9 miles later and under 5 minutes, I know it was that as the clocks had reset, and when I restarted it was like it had been on on a charger all night, no problems at all phase sensor error didn't show. Anyway hopefully an easy fix, did I just say that!
From what I hear the TV's have the old sprag so this is likely not the battery, but the time to get the revised sprag...

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Had the phase sensor issue once on the old battery. Never had it since the new one. Never bothered with the cables.

Phase sensor is a timing sensor. The sprag slips it causes the ecu to loose the timing temporarily.

A decent battery and I reckon you'll be all sorted.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From what I hear the TV's have the old sprag so this is likely not the battery, but the time to get the revised sprag...

No I'm pretty sure it wasn't the battery, although the battery does seem to be lazy under starting.
When I got home after the starting issue I put it into a bc bravo charger and tester, one of the checks it does is a starting check, under normal starting it seems to take longer than I think it should to fire up.
If you will excuse my technical explanation it starts like, chug chug chug chug chug chug vroom, when it was plugged into the charger one of the checks is a start test, to check alternator, when I started it plugged in it started like.. chuvroom and I thought now THATS how a bike should start.
So my question to the masses is.... I need a battery with a more cranking power, would I be better with a standard battery yuasa, Motobatt type or going over to a lithium type, I'm an all year rider in the UK so it can get a bit nippy in the winter. All pros and cons advice considered.

standard battery on the T3 is a BTZ12S SLA and has a CCA of 210
In comparison the B3 battery is a BTZ10S SLA with a CCA of 190

On the sprag side of life Speaking to my dealer he has a couple updated sprags on route from Italy and has earmarked me for 1 of those.
Cheers for advice

Bruce

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I have a lithium and it doesn't like really cold UK days. It feels like its flat which it isn't. Trick is to turn the ignition on and leave it for a couple of minutes which wakes the battery up.
You might be better of with a decent heavy duty yuasa or similar.
That said anything's better than what you have now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi! I need to announce that I am about to join the club! Do we have any badges here or sth? Sould I do a tattoo?

Few days ago - after visiting my fiancée I get "phase sensor error" and sth like "stop engine" after startup procedure - then - I tried to turn key on and of few times and finally error dissappeared and I managed to get back to my garage. Then I found this thread and I was pretty sure that I am about to change my sprag clutch in about 1 or 2 months of having hard time to start my F3. I charged my battery full. But today I wasnt able to start it at all! Its not about battery for sure!

I already ordered parts from # MV AGUSTA - Online Genuine Spare Parts Catalog (they are saying that despite covid-19 situation they are processing orders and sending them) and found this movie:
- I plan to do it by myself.

But one question comes to my head - to some experienced F3 675 owners - how do you think - will it fix problem and my F3 will start? What is the possibility that the starting problem and "phase sensor error" is caused by sth different?

I need to add, that few times it happened to me that after starting the engine - when it was warming up - it suddenly stopped. Then I was able to start it up without any roblems - is it related?

Cheers! And hope you all are doing well!

·
Administrator
20,388 Posts
What year is your F3 ??? And, yes, this sounds like a failing sprag clutch. Once started and warm the problem is not prevalent as when engine is cold.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My is 2012 (675). Digging in the web around this topic I found opinion, that 675 causes less problems than 800 in this matter? Is it true?

·
Super Moderator
22,639 Posts
Very much true. The problem is mostly with the 800 series.

·
Registered
15 Posts
yes, you can laugh now: you said - issue exists rather on cold engine - so.... I put my F3 into the sun from the garage for an hour.... yes you can laugh :) and it started today! and after that - I was stopping only for max 1h so the engine was still warm. Didn't have problems today.... this thrill when I am going to start engine is priceless :D but parts are in its way to my garage, so when they arrive - I will change this sprag clutch... hope until this time I will not stuck anywhere :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts