MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys

sitting at lights, bike stalled itself.

wouldnt restart. It wouldtry but just not turn over. I knew battery was charged and the battery less than 6 months old.I got no errors on dash.

Got the bike home and plugged her into charger to be safe, turned her on and i got the Phase Sensor Error.

Sprag clutch already been replaced so anyway tow to workshop, they say new starter gear required.

Sounds right? MY15 with almost20,000kms?

My next questions anyone know what new starter gear is worth? i live in a country where only one exclusive dealer so no way to compare quotes

Appreciate the input

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Guys

sitting at lights, bike stalled itself.

wouldnt restart. It wouldtry but just not turn over. I knew battery was charged and the battery less than 6 months old.I got no errors on dash.

Got the bike home and plugged her into charger to be safe, turned her on and i got the Phase Sensor Error.

Sprag clutch already been replaced so anyway tow to workshop, they say new starter gear required.

Sounds right? MY15 with almost20,000kms?

My next questions anyone know what new starter gear is worth? i live in a country where only one exclusive dealer so no way to compare quotes

Appreciate the input
Starter gear or sprag clutch?

Do they not extend the warranty on the prior replaced parts since you mentioned that they replaced the starter clutch prior. If they replaced it prior and it failed thereafter (within a certain period), they should be liable to replace it again at their cost. Im not too sure on your laws, but that is my understanding.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Starter gear or sprag clutch?

Do they not extend the warranty on the prior replaced parts since you mentioned that they replaced the starter clutch prior. If they replaced it prior and it failed thereafter (within a certain period), they should be liable to replace it again at their cost. Im not too sure on your laws, but that is my understanding.
Definitively said starter gear and that it wasn't the sprag clutch.

·
Super Moderator
22,306 Posts
The starter gear engages to the sprag clutch. It is possible that the failed sprag situation caused damage to the starter gear.

Ask the dealer which part, in the attached diagram. he is replacing. If it is the Freewheel Gear, it should have been part of the Sprag replacement.

It would be very unusual to damage a Starter Pinion Gear.

1.JPG

·
Registered
40 Posts
What has this to do with Phase sensor? Sounds more like the crank position sensor on the left end of the intermediate shaft, easy fix

·
Registered
372 Posts
What has this to do with Phase sensor? Sounds more like the crank position sensor on the left end of the intermediate shaft, easy fix
Phase Sensor error happens frequently when the sprag slips and fails.
@PTsalas they usually do cover the sprag when out of warranty. They do not extend warranty on replacement part.
That's what I was told when I got my replacement engine. I thought it would be covered for additional 2 more years but MV told me it's just what warranty is left on bike.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I've been getting the phase sensor error more and more often lately. Mainly when it's cold. I let it sit for a little bit or plug it in to charge for a bit and it eventually clears up and starts. My battery is lithium so cold doesn't help for sure. I'll have go look into the starter gear as my sprag was replaced a few years ago under warranty.

Does anyone know if upgrading the generator would help with starting issues? I was looking at this race one and wondering..

http://bdkraceeng.co.uk/tc/products.php?360&cPath=40

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
19,804 Posts
The generator portion (the stator coils of the alternator) won't do a thing for starting.
Don't replace it if it ain't broke (and you aren't running heated gear and big lights etc that draw a lot of current while you're riding).

If your battery is in good condition the increased charge rate won't help. Suggest you upgrade your battery cables to a heavier gauge wire. That could make a big difference.

I would be surprised if the starter gear is worn/damaged.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I've been getting the phase sensor error more and more often lately. Mainly when it's cold. I let it sit for a little bit or plug it in to charge for a bit and it eventually clears up and starts. My battery is lithium so cold doesn't help for sure. I'll have go look into the starter gear as my sprag was replaced a few years ago under warranty.

Does anyone know if upgrading the generator would help with starting issues? I was looking at this race one and wondering..

MV Augusta 675 800 Race Alternator MVRG675F3 - BDK

Just make sure to properly 'warm up' your lithium battery before doing your starting routine.

On cold mornings i put my Oxford heated grips on on full for 5 minutes or longer. Then there is enough cranking amps to turn her over sufficiently fast.

If i don't wait long enough and she turns over a bit slower, then i sometimes get the phase sensor error (I suspect it draws that much current that there is not enough to properly sense the crankshaft position via the sensor - giving the error)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the plot thickens.

So after 10 days i ring the shop and they say still waiting on the parts should be ready within the week. Get a call that bike is ready and they replaced tensioner and washer + timing chain.

IM like WTF, not what you said the problem was originally

Then said starter gear was ok but open cam header and timing all out of alignment so replaced chain and tensioner.

Grand total of SGD620 (= usd450.00)

I have no way of knowing if price is correct or if they have even carried out the right repair... exclusive dealer in the country so im totally blind

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Well the plot thickens.

So after 10 days i ring the shop and they say still waiting on the parts should be ready within the week. Get a call that bike is ready and they replaced tensioner and washer + timing chain.

IM like WTF, not what you said the problem was originally

Then said starter gear was ok but open cam header and timing all out of alignment so replaced chain and tensioner.

Grand total of SGD620 (= usd450.00)

I have no way of knowing if price is correct or if they have even carried out the right repair... exclusive dealer in the country so im totally blind
To be honest , I would believe your timing chain jumped a tooth before the story of you stripping a starting gear.

With regards to your question:

Go on to Startwin Trading website and check the price of parts.

https://www.startwintrading.com/

Also , ask them for the old parts and check to confirm that it is a new chain tensioner. You can see the tensioner easily on the LHS of the motor even with the fairings on. If its new then its obvious they changed it.

If your tensioner failed and it jumped a tooth then it would still start but operate roughly. If it jumped several teeth then surely a valve might have connected with a piston?

Does your bike have a hydraulic cam tensioner or manual?

450 dollars is not bad, to get to the top of the motor to do a valve check takes a few hours. A major service with a valve check costs more than 450 dollars where Im from.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've been getting the phase sensor error more and more often lately. Mainly when it's cold.
What year is your bike? I have been getting this too since the engine was replaced with a 2018 engine. Never noticed this before my old engine dropped a valve. 2018 engine already had the sprag replaced...

About the timing chain and cost. Seems kind of low for the amount of work that needs to be done. The low price would make me skeptical if the work is actually being done. Take the advice @PTsalas gave you.

·
Registered
517 Posts
What year is your bike? I have been getting this too since the engine was replaced with a 2018 engine. Never noticed this before my old engine dropped a valve. 2018 engine already had the sprag replaced...

About the timing chain and cost. Seems kind of low for the amount of work that needs to be done. The low price would make me skeptical if the work is actually being done. Take the advice @PTsalas gave you.
My bike is a 2014 and still the original engine. I had the valves checked about a year and a half ago and they were all in spec. I had the throttle replaced once, sprag and the gear position sensor replaced under warranty, but everything else is still all original.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Sorry delay Guys

Thanks for input!

So i live in asia so histoically labour is cheap and therefore most of cost is in the parts.

Mechanic told me he replaced the starter gear/sprag cluth but problem still existed. So turns out was the timing chain.

I was given the old timing chain when i picked up the bike and she ran great for about 3 weeks, then we got starting issues again. Not as bad as when the timing chain needed replacement though. So back to dealer and you guessed it 'new starter gear' was installed

im on my 3rd new starter gear/sprag clutch (bike 3yrs old / 20,000kms) and since replacement she has been running awesome again

Now 2 weeks after the starter gear the bike overheating, coolant spraying from overflow and temp spiking so waiting for mechanic to get back from holidays to dissect this issue.

what a love/hate relationship i have with this machine, first 15000kms almost faultless (almost) and when she runs well i don't want to own any other bike in the world but when she doesn't i keep telling myself its time to go back to japanese machines....and this is noise is getting louder and louder in my head

ride safe

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright lads, so we solved the overheating after going piece by piece and not working it as individually it seemed to all work fine we just ended up replacing everything. new Radiator Fan, Thermostat, coolant and a few clamp rings.

She going well again. So happy days.

·
Super Moderator
22,306 Posts
That's the second radiator replacement we've read about in the last week or so.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts