MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am looking for links with big pictures or images or for someone to provide images showing DIY tank and air box removal. I am new to DIY and am unfamiliar with the procedure. I want to be able to remove my tank and air box for my respray project coming up soon and carry out maintenance in the future.

Thanks

·
Registered
874 Posts
Hi guys,

I am looking for links with big pictures or images or for someone to provide images showing DIY tank and air box removal. I am new to DIY and am unfamiliar with the procedure. I want to be able to remove my tank and air box for my respray project coming up soon and carry out maintenance in the future.

Thanks
RIng 0410853633

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Hi Mick
Download the manuals, the 1000 F4 manuals are a bit more informative than some of 750 manuals I have, but in there you will find a very detailed description of what needs to come off, and how to do it, complete with pictures.

·
Registered
14,209 Posts
?

msfc;
remove the tank when it has a minimal amount of fuel in it

have a place to put the tank BEFORE you remove it
an old rear tire or box with a folded blanket over them works

do the fuel line mods while you have the tank off and change the fuel filter

replace the rear well nuts in the air box with rivnuts too

its in Donsy's sticky

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will look into it. I have my custom project as priority at the moment. But I do see your point on the fuel lines and would need to attend to it at one point or another. My biggest problem is not really having the right tools, and the parts or the know-how. If lets say they were sold on the forum as an upgrade kit, with colour pictures showing step-by-step installation that could be good. So if someone has access to all the parts, box em up, chuck in instructions for dummies (myself) and post?

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
I will look into it. I have my custom project as priority at the moment. But I do see your point on the fuel lines and would need to attend to it at one point or another. My biggest problem is not really having the right tools, and the parts or the know-how. If lets say they were sold on the forum as an upgrade kit, with colour pictures showing step-by-step installation that could be good. So if someone has access to all the parts, box em up, chuck in instructions for dummies (myself) and post?
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or something mate, but, maybe have a look in the Maint section, some guys have gone through a lot of effort to try and help those prepared to help themselves.
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20

·
Registered
14,209 Posts
?

I will look into it. I have my custom project as priority at the moment. But I do see your point on the fuel lines and would need to attend to it at one point or another. My biggest problem is not really having the right tools, and the parts or the know-how. If lets say they were sold o]n the forum as an upgrade kit, with colour pictures showing step-by-step installation that could be good. So if someone has access to all the parts, box em up, chuck in instructions for dummies (myself) and post?
>there is no royal road to learning.....
>turning wrenches is a learned thing
>your life choices didn't equip you with the tools or desire to fix your own things
>i doubt forum sponsors are going to offer kits and tutorials mostly for legal reasons
>those of us that do have a disease......we like helping MV owners

if you lived in SoCal you could come by and use my shop and tools as a Forum member

sorry

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have to say a big thanks to spypyp who is going to teach me in person shortly. The knurl... If I was a local, I would live in your shop and strip my bike down, do a rebuild and learn everything.

·
Registered
14,209 Posts
I have to say a big thanks to spypyp who is going to teach me in person shortly. The knurl... If I was a local, I would live in your shop and strip my bike down, do a rebuild and learn everything.
no, you wouldn't.....

you would come in do your job and leave.......

Spiros will watch over your antics:stickpoke

and guide you:)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have to say I am very keen to learn about general maintenance for my bike. Don't want to pay other people when I can do a bloody good job myself once I know how.

·
Registered
874 Posts
no, you wouldn't.....

you would come in do your job and leave.......

Spiros will watch over your antics:stickpoke

and guide you:)
I will guide/help those in need. And as Noel put it, watch over the antics :)
Like Donsy said, put in the work and do some research on the forum. Maybe 1 hour 2-3 times a week for a few weeks. You wont be disappointed with what you will learn. You will be disappointed with how much you have paid for servicing your bike in the past.
Familiarize yourself with a few things and it will make it so much easier.:blah::blah:

·
Registered
14,209 Posts
signed off?

msfc;
look at the shit that comes out of dealerships......

Spiros just went and rescued Sam off the side of the road on his CC

the book was all stamped.....everything done except what counts...well then again, maybe nothing was done:wtf:

I do know this;

losing a fuel line in traffic or in a sweeper

can KILL or MAIM YOU

just like a loose battery terminal on my Aprilia:wtf:

·
Registered
14,209 Posts
I will guide/help those in need. And as Noel put it, watch over the antics :)
Like Donsy said, put in the work and do some research on the forum. Maybe 1 hour 2-3 times a week for a few weeks. You wont be disappointed with what you will learn. You will be disappointed with how much you have paid for servicing your bike in the past.
Familiarize yourself with a few things and it will make it so much easier.:blah::blah:
+1000^1000

oh, you'll be so pissed off at what you spent and got:wtf::wtf::wtf:

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or something mate, but, maybe have a look in the Maint section, some guys have gone through a lot of effort to try and help those prepared to help themselves.
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20
Ha ! You're being picked on a little..but with a some justification..

Like the boys say..read the manuals and the forum postings...Then go look at your bike.....I mean really look at it and put some thought into how you are going to approach the task...Then refer to the manual again..Donsy has done a great job in presenting the manuals for our use...and I have seldom if ever seen better manuals for any bike I have.

There are parts you can buy such as the rivnuts for the airbox side panels and metal quick connectors for the fuel line to fuel pump....

It can be very difficult to describe exactly on the internet exactly how to do a job on a bike thousands of miles away and ultimately a project is your own responsibility...Ya can't transfer that onto another forum member...:smoking:

The tools to take the tank and airbox off are pretty well in the bike's tool kit..and it takes minutes not hours.

Seat off, side panels off, remove the bolt at the rear of the tank , loosen the bolts on the left and right side tank mount brackets to make sliding the tank backwards easier...and the bolts on the left and right lower tank brackets.

Disconnect the battery.

Disconnect the fuel pump connector.

Disconnect the fuel lines before you haul the tank up and snap the ( probably plastic) Quik connectors at the base plate of the pump.

It helps to hold up a couple of inches and support the tank a little when doing this..A friend is useful at this time.

That's the gist of it.. The process isn't difficult...

There is a mine of information on search...but of course, like anyone of us, if you get stuck then there is nothing wrong with asking for advice...and...after doing your job methodically and patiently, you will be able to advise others...

:smoking:

joe

·
Super Moderator
21,432 Posts
I have to say I am very keen to learn about general maintenance for my bike. Don't want to pay other people when I can do a bloody good job myself once I know how.

msfc, this is what bugs me. You want help...and you want it at no cost.

In a decent world you aren't paying the carpenter because you can't swing a hammer, you are paying for his "know how". That "know how" is learned though a lot of blood, sweat, and tears going through apprenticeship programs, school, boards and years on the job. It isn't free. That's why we pay them.

Mechanics, good one, are the same.

There are those of us who have put in the time to learn our bikes,learn our craft, and then help others. Be grateful you have one nearby.....

·
Vendor
5,156 Posts
I totally agree with Chuck.Speaking as a mechanic,we have to go to school for 4 years,get paid shit money because we are learning,then it takes years of experiance to become competent to perform work at a high level.The dealership mechanics are under pressure to complete each job as quickly as possible and move onto the next,as a result they take short cuts.You know the saying "time is money".msfc,if you are not mechanically minded don't attempt to repair your MV.Find a good mechanic,normally by word of mouth and pay them to do the work.Then no mistakes will be made.Just my opinion.

·
Registered
14,209 Posts
wrenching?

Mick;
I've been turning wrenches for 61 years, started getting paid for it 54 years ago......

my mantra is;
its your ass thats going to hit the ground......who do you want working on your bike?????

ME?
I'd let my mentor Ralph Britten Jr., FW Egli's workshop boss Seppi Arnold and my former neighbor Mike Haney......oh and Knobby Clark and Stuart Toomey, if I watched him do the work:stickpoke
now those names might not be familiar to you but if you knew how many World Champions they wrenched on you'd understand
and on my berserk 350 Yamaha......my friend Jarno.....but he's gone

some things you just have to learn by doing......like valve clearances with a feeler gauge

here are some things I put together for MV owners;
sources and tips;
http://www.mvagustauk.net/forum/showthread.php?19-sources-and-tips/page2

tools and supplies;
http://www.mvagustauk.net/forum/showthread.php?180-tools-and-stuff-for-working-on-your-MV&p=981#post981

useful links, I didn't start it but added a bunch;
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10615

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
A Word Of Caution

I have agree with Chuck & Mitch.

If you have no mechanical knowledge or ability, no tools, no anything & the only thing you can bring to the table is enthusiasm, I see it as a recipe for disaster. The number of bikes that have been stuffed in this manner I wouldn't like to contemplate but have seen some doozies thru the mechanical guys that I deal with.

Certainly if you have someone watching (like Noel or Spiro) over what you do while you do everything that's a good thing & you won't go wrong but to simply get advice and then set off without knowing what you will encounter is daring at best, stupid at worst. Anyone that has worked on their own bikes will tell you to always expect the unexpected even when doing so called simple jobs.

I know my abilities, I do what I can (competently) and then find and PAY trusted technicians to do the rest - if you look through my posts, I seem to own the most reliable and best ever made MVs, nothing ever goes wrong with them - that's a myth and total bullshit, the real reason my bikes are so good is impeccable maintenance & expert repair - you get out of a machine what you put into it, that's my unshakeable philosophy - pure and simple.

Sometimes a little knowledge can be dangerous, I am not saying don't do your own work I am just saying think it through thoroughly, it is not walk in the park as some of the posts might suggest, unless of course you are have Noel's background then you can do it eyes shut - but we are not talking about Noel here ;)

Cheers
Rob

1 - 20 of 30 Posts