MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brutale dragster 800 rr my15

So I used to top up my tank to the brim after riding and then on leaning on it's side stand, there was an issue with a filler cap seal or overflow blockage. Anyways the upshot was that the gas leaked out of the top of the tank due to expansion on a hot day. It's yellowed the paintwork on the top of the tank.

My question is will wet and dry 3000/5000 polish and wax remove the staining?

advice before i set to please.

tia

·
Super Moderator
22,324 Posts
Well, the answer is: it might, or it might not. It will depend on how much of the clear is penetrated and how aggressive you are with the polish.

A patient approach is need because that paint is thin.

·
Administrator
19,819 Posts
And on another note...you should NEVER fill the tank to the brim. There is a tube going down in the filler neck. The fuel should just be touching at the bottom edge while on the side stand. That is the full tank point.

Bikes with evaporative emissions system in place (all USA spec and the euro 4 bikes globally) will get contamination in the charcoal canister and have poor running conditions/hard starting if you overfill the tank.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agreed and its a hard lesson learnt for this particular make and model. However, it's never been an issue with any other bike I've owned.

I'll go easy on the clear and see what results i get.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey guys, I'm a professional detailer and I'm very sorry to say there's no way to get rid of fuel oil burns on paint. It has to be repainted (not easy with MVs since the stickers are below the clearcoat).

Gasoline is a very strong solvent and burns deep down to just above primer, making it impossible to fix.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys, I'm a professional detailer and I'm very sorry to say there's no way to get rid of fuel oil burns on paint. It has to be repainted (not easy with MVs since the stickers are below the clearcoat).

Gasoline is a very strong solvent and burns deep down to just above primer, making it impossible to fix.
In that case, I'll leave the paint well alone! Thanks for letting me know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts