MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would there be any power gain with a 'performance air filter', 2005 model? If so, any recommendations for the best to go for?
UK based.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Not convinced about any individual power gain, but if you are fitting exhausts, decat, remap etc may as well fit one - ive got a BMC in my 1090, also removed the intake snorkels....induction roar makes it sound faster if nothing else :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A decat pipe is ready to be ftted, also silencers (!!). I would like to get an Arrow twin can system but they have stopped making it, if anyone knows where I can find a set I would appreciate it. Is the BMC oiled foam? If so, I'd prefer a dry fabric type.

·
Administrator
21,052 Posts
BMC is oiled gauze fabric...like a K&N

·
Vendor
5,527 Posts
Have you got something against oiled foam filters because they are the most efficient filter.
I have a MWR filter,easy to clean and service.
Most aftermarket filters are the oiled foam type.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Not convinced about any individual power gain, but if you are fitting exhausts, decat, remap etc may as well fit one - ive got a BMC in my 1090, also removed the intake snorkels....induction roar makes it sound faster if nothing else :)
Wait a sec doesnt removing the snorkels mess up the power band? On my RC51 you could install shorter or longer ones and it will move the power band around a bit.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you got something against oiled foam filters because they are the most efficient filter.
I have a MWR filter,easy to clean and service.
Most aftermarket filters are the oiled foam type.
Oiled foam seems to be a bike thing but personally I prefer dry fabric or paper filters.

Wait a sec doesnt removing the snorkels mess up the power band? On my RC51 you could install shorter or longer ones and it will move the power band around a bit.
Intake stacks, trumpets, bellmouths, to use a few terms, do indeed affect power delivery. MV must have spent time developing their intake system and IMHO, unless the engine is drastically modified, those intake stacks should be retained. Although it is possible that they may have been developed around noise emissions, so modified stacks could improve performance. It would need experimentation.

·
Vendor
5,527 Posts
Oiled foam seems to be a bike thing but personally I prefer dry fabric or paper filters.

Intake stacks, trumpets, bellmouths, to use a few terms, do indeed affect power delivery. MV must have spent time developing their intake system and IMHO, unless the engine is drastically modified, those intake stacks should be retained. Although it is possible that they may have been developed around noise emissions, so modified stacks could improve performance. It would need experimentation.

It is not only bikes that use the oiled filter.
Quite a few of my customers at work ask me to fit them to their 4WD's because they are so efficient on trapping finer dust particles.
Each to their own as the saying goes.:smile2:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If a vehicle is being driven in extremely dusty conditions then an oiled filter may be an advantage, but for normal road use I prefer dry fabric or paper filters. Probably 90% of vehicles on the road use such filters without a problem. I also dabble in modified turbo cars and have never had an issue with paper or fabric dry filters, even oil sample analysis hasn't shown any abnormal dust particle contamination.

·
Registered
565 Posts
my bike was custom mapped after fitting filter/header/silencers, and picked up 12bhp at the back wheel. Its smooth and linear and much softer throttle response than OE. No power band as such. I did not experiment with/without intake snorkels on their own so cant comment on any effect they have other than noise :)

To save confusion by "intake snorkel" I mean the plastic tubes that fit on the OE airbox and just point towards the front mesh vents ....not throttle body intake tubes. Essentially you then have a larger hole either side on the airbox versus more restricted tubes....

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To save confusion by "intake snorkel" I mean the plastic tubes that fit on the OE airbox and just point towards the front mesh vents ....not throttle body intake tubes. Essentially you then have a larger hole either side on the airbox versus more restricted tubes....
My comments were about throttle body stacks, so my apologies for the confusion there.
What MV do you have and where did you go for mapping?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yeah I thought you were talking about the intake runners. I didn't know you can remove the tank inlets.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Yeah I thought you were talking about the intake runners. I didn't know you can remove the tank inlets.
Yeah they are just the bent rubber pipes, I think its done mostly for noise and the induction roar is much more angry sounding :)

·
Registered
565 Posts
My comments were about throttle body stacks, so my apologies for the confusion there.
What MV do you have and where did you go for mapping?

Its a 2015 1090RR, with 151bhp at back wheel, prob 170bhp crank ish

mapped by Hilltop motorcycles http://hilltopmotorcycles.co.uk/

Wish i had found them in the first place as I had tried a couple of other methods first. Its never run so well, smoother than standard.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Excellent, thanks for that! They are in Hinckley which isn't a million miles away from me, unlike my usual luck!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Excellent, thanks for that! They are in Hinckley which isn't a million miles away from me, unlike my usual luck!
I used the same place after fitting Fresco exhaust and MWR intake kit; got 110 at the wheel (125 crank?) on a Stradale. Runs perfectly. Getting a Silmoto header next year - good thing about the Hilltop ECU tune is it automatically adapts to all bolt on mods.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts