MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we all remember Peet swapped his 1000R out for a 1098, his main reason was fuel consumption, well I have been following 1098 road tests etc and the 1098 gets about 30mpg and the reserve light has been known to appear at 70 miles :jsm: :jsm:
So Peet if you still frequent here, share your thoughts with us :stickpoke

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
HUH!!!!!! sorry for my ignorance but I just don't get it? Swapping a bike just because of fuel consumption? How much fuel can you save by going from a hi-pro inline 4 to a hi-pro V-twin.

I think you will loose much more money from the change over from one bike to another than the amount of money you save on fuel? Maybe changing over to an electic scooter - that I understand.... Please explain?

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
barry996suzuki said:
I had an mv f4 but swapped it for a new Duc 1098 because the MV was dirty and couldn't be bothered to clean it....so I changed it!
good reason! :f4:

Peet hasn't forgotten his f4:

Posted By Peet
My Top 5: 1. MV Agusta F4. 2. Ducati 916. 3....

My Top 5:

1. MV Agusta F4.

2. Ducati 916.

3. Ducati 1098.

4. Benelli Tornado.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
MV-999R said:
And last time i talked with hime about the F4R vs 1098S he was very pleased with the change :)
Except the top speed and the fact the factory claimed rev limit was down by 500rpm... :stickpoke

Anyway I'm sure he loves the bike and it would be nice to hear how he feels they compare...c'mon Peet we can take it :errr: :laughing:

From what I've heard they really are a great bike and I'm happy for Ducati but I won't be selling my MV for a 1098 but I do look forward to taking one for a ride.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
barry996suzuki said:
I had an mv f4 but swapped it for a new Duc 1098 because the MV was dirty and couldn't be bothered to clean it....so I changed it!
I've seen Barry's bikes and they are spotless, :smoking: so if his F4 was dirty I'd better get rid of mine and get a 1098 too. :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mi TOP

1. MV AGUSTA F 4

2. Ducati 998 R

2. Benelli TNT Titanium

3. Mv Agusta Brutale

4. Ducati 1098 s

y punto pelota

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Are we doing top 5's??

1. F4-1000 senna
2. F4-1000R/312
3. F4-750 senna
4. F4-1000S
5. F4-750SP

·
Registered
28 Posts
Maximum Velocity said:
Are we doing top 5's??

1. F4-1000 senna
2. F4-1000R/312
3. F4-750 senna
4. F4-1000S
5. F4-750SP
Is it just me, or is there a pattern.....can't quite put my finger on it....

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Hi Mike, yeah my mail down here too is the 1098 fuel consumption and tank range is really poor. The tank range will be a problem in OZ for sure. You need at least 200k's from a tank if going for a decent ride.
I had the embarrassment of running out of fuel on my Brutale between stops heading down to last years world superbikes and it is not fun being picked up by a Triumph guy and leaving my bike on the side of the road in the middle of now where.

·
Registered
443 Posts
minime said:
HUH!!!!!! sorry for my ignorance but I just don't get it? Swapping a bike just because of fuel consumption? How much fuel can you save by going from a hi-pro inline 4 to a hi-pro V-twin.
......... Please explain?
Explaining is easy - it isn't the cost it's the RANGE (or lack thereof) :jsm: !!!! If you are riding in the country where the twisties are (Ozarks for example) it can be a problem just making 1 fun run and then finding gas before you have to push :) . Run out of gas once or twice in the boonies and the quest begins for performance and at least 150 mile range.

Tom
Gainesville, Mo. (Ozarks = motorcycle heaven)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Simple tip...

Get one of those cheap siphons and put it under the seat for *emergencies*. Only a buck and really helps keeps the price of gas down. :yo:

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
MVASyd said:
and it is not fun being picked up by a Triumph guy and leaving my bike on the side of the road in the middle of now where.
Espicially when most insurance companies don't cover you in that situation.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
If you need to carry extra fuel for emergency, you can buy 1.5litre aluminium drinking bottles with a metal lid and fill it with fuel. A couple of these bottles will get you out of trouble and its not too heavy to lung around in your backpack.

You can even turn it into a molotov cocktail!!!!

·
Registered
276 Posts
divaine said:
Mi TOP

1. MV AGUSTA F 4

2. Ducati 998 R

2. Benelli TNT Titanium

3. Mv Agusta Brutale

4. Ducati 1098 s

y punto pelota
CON DOS COJONES SI SEÑOR. Estoy contigo macho.ja,ja,ja :smoking:

I would like to know the real Peet´s reason to make that bike change.

I will never change my MV by a Duke. Anyway, may be the "Desmosedichi", but not sure. :f4:

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
minime said:
If you need to carry extra fuel for emergency, you can buy 1.5litre aluminium drinking bottles with a metal lid and fill it with fuel. A couple of these bottles will get you out of trouble and its not too heavy to lung around in your backpack.

You can even turn it into a molotov cocktail!!!!
I oh so nearly bought a KTM Superduke last year, the thing that stopped me was the stupid tank range, fuel light on at 70 miles and out of fuel before 100, I worked out the rides we normally do and having to plan it around fuel stops was just a pain in the arse.

With regard to the 1098 most mags are baffled why the fuel capacity is officially (I think) 16 litres, yet from dry they are only taking 14.5litres :confused:
it's just unacceptable these days.

My MV's fuel light will normally illuminate with anything from about 100 to 125 miles under it's belt, and then do another easy 30+ miles, In running in mode I was seeing more than 140 miles before the fuel light was appearing

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
On a Ducati site I frequent, more and more 1098 owners are grumbling about the small tank and hence poor range. I can't honestly believe Peet changed from a F4 to a 1098 with that as his main reason for swapping :wtf:

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
john said:
On a Ducati site I frequent, more and more 1098 owners are grumbling about the small tank and hence poor range. I can't honestly believe Peet changed from a F4 to a 1098 with that as his main reason for swapping :wtf:
It was about consuption ($$$) rather than range...but as Tiago eluded to, there was more to it than just that....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts