MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've never done this before......but a few days ago after coming back to work after lunch when locking the bike I accidentally locked it with the 'parking light' on...for about an hour..., certainly no more.

Anyway when I came to go home..,there wasn't enough 'juice' in the battery to start it and I had to 'bump start' to get home. (tried twice down a hill..had to use 6th gear)

I kinda thought this was a little 'strange'? as what is the point of a 'parking light'? if after an hour you can't get the bike started!. (not that I ever use it or ever will again!)

So today I decided to do a little experiment and test my battery's voltage reading when 'normally' in the bike..
....it reads 13.67 volts

I put the 'parking light' on for 1 hour..

It drops to 10.40 volts!....after just 1 hour!....(gonna try it again after 30mins...15mins etc and see what happens)

No wonder the bike wouldn't start..,and the battery is pretty good..,cranks the bike very efficiently etc.... Landport YTZ10-S lead acid battery.
Maybe not 'top notch' like a Yuasa ...but it's OK

I have another new 'Lucas' battery that I may switch to so I can see if it makes any difference.

But I have to say in my case accidentally turning the ignition key just a 'little' too far round (engaging) the parking light which I didn't notice in the sunlight...for just about 1 hour left me stranded.

Incidentally the 'parking light' appears to just switch on the small 'side light bulb' in the bottom of the headlight...the tail light and 'dashlight' (no dash readings)
Brian:)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How old is the battery...sounds to me like its nearing the end of its life
It's about 4 years old....., I've just put in the new 'Lucas' one and I'm gonna repeat and continue the 'experiment' today to see if it makes any difference.
It's on full charge at the moment.

I just want find out what kind of 'drain' on the battery results by accidentally (or deliberity) putting the parking light on?
And 'what'? period of time needs to elapse before the bike fails to start?

·
Vendor
5,638 Posts
Hi Brian,I replace the batteries in my bikes every 2 years regardless of their condition.Today's batteries have a limited life span.If you get 4 years out of a battery you are doing well.:)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Take a reading while bike is cranking (or trying to) I'll bet the voltage drops even further indicating a stuffed battery. Lead acid batteries are really only good for 2 years, the fact that you got 4 years out of it tells me you look after it, but it does have a limited life span. I'd be interested in your test results, but they would only be relevant for a 4 year old lead acid battery.

I don't have a schedule for when I change my battery but it does get changed if it starts to give me an issue and it's more then a couple of years old, it just gives me piece of mind that it won't leave me stranded somewhere.

Let us know how you get on

·
Super Moderator
24,102 Posts
Brian, add up the load on the battery in watts of light bulbs. Using that you can calculate how long you battery should last under that type of load using the AMP-HOUR rating. More expensive batteries usually have more AMP-HOURS available and more cold-cranking amps.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
:)Okaaay Guys thanks for your input.....it does indeed seem that the battery was on it's way out.

I put the new 'Lucas' battery in fully charged.
I switched the 'parking light' on and took voltage readings @ 5min intervals for 1 hour.

Here are the results....

New Lucas battery fully charged....13.38 volts

Parking light on..,after....
5min...........12.79 volts
10min..........12.77 volts
15min..........12.69 volts
20 min.........12.68 volts
25min..........12.67 volts
30min..........12.59 volts
35min..........12.58 volts
40min..........12.56 volts
45min..........12.50 volts
50min..........12.49 volts
55min..........12.48 volts
60min..........12.47 volts

Bike started each time with no issues.....just a 'tiny' cough on the 60min time but started fine.

Oh and yes 4 years from a battery is pretty good!...I use an 'optimate 4' continually.

·
Super Moderator
24,102 Posts
So, the seven I have on my original Yuasa in the 312R is above average?:smoking:

Same on the batteries in my 2007 S4Rs and 695 Monsters....

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, the seven I have on my original Yuasa in the 312R is above average?:smoking:

Same on the batteries in my 2007 S4Rs and 695 Monsters....
Yes indeed Chuck.....,I still have the original Yuasa in my Suzuki from when I bought the bike new in 2002!!
12 years and still going strong!......cranks and starts every time!:)

·
Registered
619 Posts
My HD had the original batt for 10 yrs, Yuasa makes HD batteries.
My F4 has a Interstate, new when purchase in 2011, still good.
Must be that reverse magnetic field in south of the equator :)

Ed:)

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
:)Okaaay Guys thanks for your input.....it does indeed seem that the battery was on it's way out.

I switched the 'parking light' on and took voltage readings @ 5min intervals for 1 hour.

Here are the results....

Bike started each time with no issues.....just a 'tiny' cough on the 60min time but started fine.

Oh and yes 4 years from a battery is pretty good!...I use an 'optimate 4' continually.

Brian, Clearly it is raining in Northern Ireland today ; ) :smoking:

·
Registered
661 Posts
Another win for Yuasa, I think that they are simply made to a higher standard and with the best materials. Battery fail mechanically-shock and via sulphation or boiling(evaporation). Accurate high quality manufacturing alleviates the shock problem and materials/design optimizes resistance to sulphation and longer charge maintenance. You get what you pay for no doubt!

·
Registered
639 Posts

Here are the results....

Just traded my B750 for a B3 Dragster.
The B750 still had his 11 year old Yuasa :yo:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts