MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI EVERYONE
I was going to title it "boobs" or something to get as many peole to read and respond, but hey serious talk here.
yeah right maybe for girls

My wife and i are in the middle of this coversation, and i don't think there is anything wrong with it....or now maybe i do.

My two year old boy, is infactuated with motorbikes, everything is broom broom, daddy broom broom..
so i did what any dad would do. i bought him one. A ttr50 which i will put him on with me. (he is too young to ride on his own, i knw.) and i would never let anything happen to him, again like any parent.

My dilema is this. My wife thinks that by my boy being brought into this world of bikes, like litteraly from day one, he has been surrounded by them all the time, if something were to happen to him one day even when he was older. or even a lot older (god forbid, touch wood...) that i would feel guilty and carry a particauarly large wait on my shoulders, because i introduced him to this.

I thought to myself, no way, bikes are good things, motorcycle people are good people, nicer than most sports anyway, why should i feel guilty about introducing my son to something that is fun and like many things (unfortuantely dangerous), but ultimately a great sport.

But now, that little comment is messing with my head.

what are people from around the worlds opinion on this, should i feel guilty?

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
first thing, i have no kids and not married, etc.

but i think that you should instill the idea that bikes are to be respected, because they are dangerous and that he will have to wait till he is older. Push bicycles or something.

but it's cool that he digs it. too bad the wife doesn't.....

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"but i think that you should instill the idea that bikes are to be respected"

definately agree with that one, very well simplistically put
thanks mate

·
Registered
798 Posts
Well, this really strikes home with me because my 12 year old son is now asking for a motorcycle. My wife does not want him to get one, but I am on the fence. I mean, I had a mini-bike when I was his age (even before), so why not. On the other hand, I know that I am the type of person that would feel guilty if anything ever happened to him while riding. The thing is, if he is drawn to it, he will end up getting one eventually on his own anyway. So I think the earlier he learns to ride, the better. One thing is for sure, he will not be self taught or taught by me. He will get professional instruction.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
anothermvfanatic said:
"but i think that you should instill the idea that bikes are to be respected"

definately agree with that one, very well simplistically put
thanks mate

cool..... but good luck teaching that word to a two-year-old..... :blah: :blah:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Boath my son and I started on three wheelers :jsm: but not at the same time. First of all all todlers shoud be tought that motorcycles are HOT and not to walk up to them and touch them. My son got his first dirt bike at around 9 or ten. It was a Honda XR70. and he would love to go rideing. We had Chatter boxes on our helmets so I could give him advice while we ride. At some point he grew into an XR100 and shifting became a chore for him (had a hard time with the clutch) and lost intrest. Also too many things to do all the time,fishing,kyaking,R/C planes,scouts(now working on eagle)School stuff,Band,sports,ect. You`ll love it. Just instill responsability(that word again but I probably spelt it wrong). They make all sort of battaty pawered toys for little kids to ride on now. It`s never too eirly,enjoy. Chris

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
P.S some kids scare you because they never realy get good at it and some scare you because they do.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I came from both sides of the equation.
I will try to make this as brief as possible, so forgive the poor structure.
Growing up I was infactuated with bikes, both street and dirt. Parents would never let me have one. In fact one year they got me a toy one for Christmas (1/24 scale). I did however get a "scooter" at 15yrs of age, more to get me to and from football practice, but they would never let me get a real bike. "not in while you live in my house" was the rule. Life sucked and I kept dreaming. Keep in mind that my parents nor brother were ever intersted in bikes...I was just somehow drawn to it.
At 19 (while still at home) purchased my first bike, and kept it at a friends for about one month. I then wrecked my Jeep drag racing (cj5 that I put a 350 chevy in/with t-10 4speed). I was a hot rodder guy. Anyways brought the bike home and said, i have to get around so that was the begining. From the ages of 19 to 28 always had a bike more as alternative transportation. From 28 to 35 now, sportbiking.
But i think the fact that I was told I could not have a bike solidified my desire to have a bike. I often tell my parents to this day that if they would have let me have a bike when I was young, I would have gotten it out of my system.

Now, about your son. I have a 5year old son whom I bought a pw50. He just started riding without the training wheels. He was interested in riding and I welcomed it as it would be something we could do together (dirt bikes, Ive got a ktm450). I figure I am not going to stop riding, and since he is exposed to it from me, then why leave them wondering. I let him make the decision to learn or not. I do worry about the future and street bikes and figure that if it is in his blood he will ride when he is older, if not, then he wont. But if he does, he will more experience that will enable him to make better decisions in the future. How shitty would i feel if I kept him from something then when he turns 18 he goes out and buys a liter bike as his first bike, and gets hurt. I would think, I should have given him the oppurtunity to learn the skills for the things he desires. Secretly I hope he never rides on the street and he will get it out of his system at a young age.
Ultimately the decision to make is the childs with limits set by the parent. If he wants to learn, let him, better now than later. Who better to teach them the responsibilities of riding, you, or his buddies when he is 18.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
before i begin,
remember:
1. i am a pediatrician
2. i have ridden 150K plus miles all over the place
3. my dad saw his best friend die on a bike in brooklyn in the 1940s and never allowed me to ride as a kid

i can see both sides of YOUR issue
but.....
buying a bike for a 2 year old is RIDICULOUS and wrong, IMHO

kids never go on bikes until age 8..... until they can touch the peg
i'm talking about a street bike
he CANNOT ride with you for 6 more years

you want your kid on a motocross type bike at age 5?
i hope not.....
if you do... come with me to the rehab units with the paraplegic and quadraplegic kids stay who rode at ages 4 and 5

remember.....
i've ridden for years
and i've ridden everywhere there is to ride
and i love bikes
and i have a 12 year old daughter.... who has never been on my bike... nor asked

and a wife who's ridden 2-up with me (has never had her own bike) 80K miles over the years (and will go away for 1,200 miles this coming weekend)

FWIW, of course

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Greg,
good points.
The problem with kids is that you want to share everything with them and spend as much time as possible with them, like riding together (trails, not street)

In your opinion, what age would you allow a child to learn to ride (dirt bikes)?

One thing I left out was that my wife was raised on 3 wheelers and she was thinking about getting a 4 wheeler (which I think are more dangerous than dirtbikes)....the pw50 was a preemptive strike to prevent a 4 wheeler from materializing at the house.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Like you are doing for your boy it was my father which introduced me to bike's world; he was a biker too and bought me my first one when I was 9 years old. Indeed my mother was worried, and she is even now that I'm 43 any time she knows I'm out for a ride, but never tried to stop me. She just tells me "be careful" or "don't run too fast", this even when I'm going on track! :)
The first time she saw me on my 1st sport bike she got very anxious and began to say it was too fast, too dangerous, too uncomfortable, too expensive, that the previous one seemes much more fit to me and ended her speech smiling with a surprising (as she was already in her sixties) "And now don't even think to go away until you take me with you for a ride!", and I gladly did! :) She has never tried to stop me in my choices about bikes in any way because she knows that it would just make me sad and/or uncomfortable.
Laura, my girlfriend, is a biker herself and it was me to teach her and I helped her to buy her first bike 4 years ago. I know what my mother feels 'cause I feel just the same about her when she's out with any of our bikes. But I will never try to stop her as my parents never did themselves. She really loves bikes and when I met her the first thing she liked of me was perhaps my bike. Her parents forbid her to ride a bike when she got the legal age to do it, but it seems they didn't succeed: as soon as she was independent she followed her likes and dislikes and didn't care too much about their parents being so worried. By the way, their parents at last have become used to see their daughter on a bike even though they still worry a little, and understood that there's nothing to do about it, she likes bikes too much to stop right now.
IMHO if your boy will like riding bikes he will do despite anything you and your wife will do or say, exactly as anyone of as would.
It's plenty of dangerous things to do out there in real world and we do them every day. Riding a bike may be dangerous, but taking a plane or a boat may be dangerous too. Many people die in car crashes but no one will ever try to prevent someone else from buying a car. Living itself is dangerous, at the end we must die somehow...
In the meantime IMHO it's better to live doing the things we like with the people we love. Your boy has a great opportunity to do so since he may share his passion with you and you can teach him a follow him in his first paths. If he will don't stop him but lead him and show him both danger and beauty, I really believe he will be grateful to you all life long as I'am to my father for the great opportunity he offered to me and the wonderful new world which he made me discover giving me that little yellow bike 34 years ago.
And believe me, there are really few things I regret in my life but the greatest of all is that I never had the opportunity to ride with my father anywhere and share that passion for bikes with him like I do now with my friends and Laura.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
lewdog998 said:
Greg,
good points.
The problem with kids is that you want to share everything with them and spend as much time as possible with them, like riding together (trails, not street)

In your opinion, what age would you allow a child to learn to ride (dirt bikes)?

One thing I left out was that my wife was raised on 3 wheelers and she was thinking about getting a 4 wheeler (which I think are more dangerous than dirtbikes)....the pw50 was a preemptive strike to prevent a 4 wheeler from materializing at the house.
i see too many parents trying to encourage their kids to be PROFICIENT at dirtbike riding before bicycling... which is nuts, quite frankly

i think a kid OUGHT to be GREAT a 2-wheeled UNmotorized travel for 2 years before beginning trail riding.....
because, bikes go way faster and falling off USUALLY brings more significant issues

i'm not trying to be overly protective...
i'm personally that my DAUGHTER doesn't want to ride with me because i fear for the day that some 16 year old boy takes her for a ride on his motorcycle....
even if she were IN ALL THE GEAR... that would make me drop dead of a heart attack

double standard, maybe
but, she's my ONLY kid and i'd like her to outlive me:)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
lewdog998 said:
Greg,
good points.

and yes.....
4-wheelers ARE MUCH MORE DANGEROUS than dirtbikes in my mind, as well

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
My son wasn't bothered with powered bikes until he reached about 10. :flat: I didn't encourage or discourage him from riding, then he was doing some stat tests at school and asked if he could have a dirt bike. I told him if he worked hard and got good grades in the tests I would buy him one. He did the tests, I bought the bike and now the bugger wants my MV! :stickpoke

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sir,

I think you passed the desire over to your son via your DNA when he was conceived.
You responsibility and challenge, will be to bring an understanding of safety and respect for motorcycles into his mind.

Regards

Johnni

·
Registered
161 Posts
better to buy them their own bike than having them riding pillion.. my son still can't 'touch the pegs' and i've just fitted the emoto solo seat so it could be a while!!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
spalding12 said:
i see too many parents trying to encourage their kids to be PROFICIENT at dirtbike riding before bicycling... which is nuts, quite frankly

i think a kid OUGHT to be GREAT a 2-wheeled UNmotorized travel for 2 years before beginning trail riding.....
because, bikes go way faster and falling off USUALLY brings more significant issues

i'm not trying to be overly protective...
i'm personally that my DAUGHTER doesn't want to ride with me because i fear for the day that some 16 year old boy takes her for a ride on his motorcycle....
even if she were IN ALL THE GEAR... that would make me drop dead of a heart attack

double standard, maybe
but, she's my ONLY kid and i'd like her to outlive me:)
Greg, I agree.
Thankfully my 6year old daughter has no desire to ride yet. Nor will I encourage her. (she is never going to move out either)
Regarding learning to ride a bicycle.....thats was my rule as well. He could not touch the bike till he had the bicycle down. I think I may be in trouble as he is a bit of a daredevil at 5. That being said, any sport or activity that has the human body moving faster than you can run is potentially life threatening. If I could lock both of them up and guarantee their safety, then you can bet I would do it, but thats impossible. Its a crazy world out there, and a wonder we live as long as we do. FWIW...a good friend of mine that was a expert level water skier/ barefoot etc. broke his neck waterskiing and became a quadraplegic(?).....shit can happen anytime, anywhere.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I don't have any kids that I am confronted with...yet???
But from my own childhood experience, I think a mini dirt bike with the appropriate safety gear is just as safe as any other mischievous activity they get into. Or safer if they decide to get into drugs. Kids need to develope passion for sports from a young age to keep them from trouble.

I went against both my parents wishes and took out all my savings (while under age for a license) and bought myself a Honda. I rode recklessly and in the traffic where I lived, I had accidents once a month if not more! But my body was like gummy bears, I bounced right back without any injories. I once had a head on collision with a car where I flew over the car and landed several feet behind him, got up, and endded up riding my bike home!

The only injories I have suffered are after I hit the middle age...not before.

I think kids bodies are a lot more pliable and injury proof by the flexibility nature of their structure...just make him wear saftery gear...

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
kamranmarashi said:
I once had a head on collision with a car where I flew over the car and landed several feet behind him, got up, and endded up riding my bike home!
Truly immortal. :jsm: You must be the Highlander! :king: Connor McLeod. or is that Kamran McLeod :pI must try that glucose stuff mate :smoking:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts