MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have recently acquired a set of Arrow panpipes and tried to remove the two allen bolts that join the panpipes with the butterfly plate.

They are corroded into the pipes. The torque required to remove them has rounded out one of the bolts ( prev to me ) and the second one is stuck fast so I'm going to apply some penetrant to do a bit of magic. It may still require drilling out...There are numerous options before that...

However, the point is this...I would advise that as a simple preventative measure, owners undo the bolts one at a time and put some anti-seize grease on the bolts and then refit them.

Save yourself some considerable grief further down the line with 3 minutes effort.
joe

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are the four exhaust "tail" pipes under the seat F4 bikes Malcolm,

They are in pairs and the two pairs are joined underneath with a metal "butterfly" plate which is bolted through into the silencers. It's these bolts which are worth greasing pref with high temp grease but imo copperease will work too...and put some on the head of the bolt to stop that getting rusty too.

joe

·
Registered
842 Posts
Ah, all becomes clear, thanks :) I was looking at them the other evening wondering if I could use them to fabricate a number plate hanger ......

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Donsy, any Englishman of the right age (pre too much electronic music) will know what pan pipes are, though I doubt even Mick Jagger's mouth is big enough to play the MV ones !

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
hahaha

Donsy, any Englishman of the right age (pre too much electronic music) will know what pan pipes are, though I doubt even Mick Jagger's mouth is big enough to play the MV ones !
Who's that bloke who still plays them BIG mothers "George Zamphier" or something.
Loved the Mick Jagger part Rich, funny you had to think of him. :)

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Noel calls suspension linkage bearings " Roses" and someone called the arm a "dogbone" the other day...

and to me any cover on top of an engine is gonna be a rocker box cover... ;))

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Noel calls suspension linkage bearings " Roses" and someone called the arm a "dogbone" the other day...

and to me any cover on top of an engine is gonna be a valve cover... ;))
I agree Joe :naughty:

·
Registered
14,495 Posts
?

Joe;
the English call spherical bearings rose joints, here they are Heim joints

here the ride height adjuster is a dog bone....the one on an Aprilia even looks more like the dog treat
across the pond they're con rods

here con rods connect the piston to the crankshaft

i was responding to a Brit so i used rose joint

if you had capitalized Pan pipes......there shouldn't have been any confusion.....well except for the computer kids

:popcorn:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts