MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you painted your MV's and had trouble matching the red on a F4 ? My painter thinks that by fixing a couple scratches on my bike the red will not match because of sun fade and because there are so many shades of red. I got the PPG paint codes from here and gave them to him but he's afraid it's not going to match. He wants to paint everything that's red to ensure color.

WTF ? :wtf:

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
That does not surprise me to be honest. Heck I just wanted my carbon tank to be painted just like the stock MV paint and even though I gave him the codes the painter had to work his tail off to get it to match.

With red there is also a chance of sun fade. I have a friend with a red bmw z4 and his painter told him the same thing. :(

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Yes, not as easy as just giving them the codes. It's seems even MV used different reds throughout the years. It can be tough to match.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Or your painter could just say "yeah no problem it'll be £200" and when you see it realize it looks crap to then have to pay him another £500 to do a prop job on it.

What I'm trying to say is at least he's honest!

·
Registered
293 Posts
A good painter is able to do it even if the red doesn't match exactly, but this way he cannot charge you as much as for a complete paint... In order not to notice the possible difference between the 2 reds you have to fade the new one over the old and have the complete part clear coated (not sure about the words fade and clear coat...)

If you don't have a good painter in your area, go for a complete paint.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Unfortunatelly if you don't paint it all u'll paint it twice...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts