MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if you guys have already covered this, and I am sure you have...

Is it true that you cannot paint a plastic (aka Polyamide - nylon) F4 or Brutale tank (Acerbis) because the tank breathes and bubbles the paint?

I thought I would throw this out there because I am calling them tomorrow for the story...I am truly bummed if this true. I have been told that the color is molded in there. The colored tanks, especially the red, will not hold its color forever. I have read that the tanks that are matte black won't fade (for obvious reasons)......

·
Registered
474 Posts
Yes you can paint Nylon.

Many bike panels are Nylon or nylon based. Aprilia plastic fuel tanks are nylon from memory. Just get it rough enough for the primer to stick.

Which tank are you meaning?

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have been told the same thing about plastic tanks from Dirt Bike pals. They say that the plastic tank breaths vapors a bit... Who knows...

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
The F4 tank is metal as James stated, the Brutale tank is plastic. However, it's not a molded-in color like a dirt bike. You shouldn't have a problem painting either and if you're painting a Brutale don't sand past the primer and I'd imagine you would be fine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, more details....Brutale tank

It's a Brutale tank - a red one. I don't know if you guys saw it but I bought a Brutale off eBay in January that had front end damage. The bike landed on its right side, and slightly rubbed off that "point" on the end of the Brutale tank....

So, I had recently made up my mind that I really wanted to make the bike as clean as I could, so I bought another Brutale gas tank brand new. I got a smoking deal on it for $350 - but it is the matte black.

I have the matte black tank here and it says ACERBIS in several places, at the bottom and on the right side.

My real plan was to get the original red tank prepped, keep the perfect paint in the middle and have it customized like the Brutale America tank. I think the matte is OK - but the paint seems and decals seem much much better on the red tank.

Thanks for all the suggestions - and also, I did not know that the F4 tank was metal.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Glad to see it end up in good hands! Cool point of fact about Acerbis making the Brutale tank :)

I think the painting issue depends on the tank manufacturer. IMS and Clarke are popular aftermarket dualsport/dirt tanks. IIRC it's paint adhesion depends on the specific tank construction. For a plastic tank already painted I think you would be good to go, assuming a capable painter (ask Jack).

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
JamesC said:
... For a plastic tank already painted I think you would be good to go, assuming a capable painter (ask Jack).
If that was directed at me, I wouldn't. :) I know just enough to be dangerous. Talk to a painter.

I like the idea of the America edition. Whatever happened with that bike on e-bay. Did it sell? The America edition...

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Gladio said:
Whatever happened with that bike on e-bay. Did it sell? The America edition...
OMG. He lowered the Buy It Now to $16K.

That's it. I'm never buying another new bike.

·
Registered
474 Posts
comparing a Brutale tank (nylon) to Dirtbike stuff is not the same. Most coloured dirt bike stuff is Poly Ethylene. You'd have troubles painting it from what I hear, but I've never tried.

Never had issues with the following plastics
ABS
PA
PC+PBT
ASA
AES
PP

Go for it with the America Tank :drummer:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts