MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, looking for some thoughts on this one..

I filled up while out for a ride with a passenger on Monday. After filling drove back home 25 miles, parked the bike, cleaned off the bugs, and put her in the garage. I went to get her out this afternoon(a full day later), and found a wonderful yellow stain streaked from the fuel cap down the tank..

When I filled up I put the same amount as I always do. And with driving 25 miles with a passenger after filling, there is no way it was too full. I'm also not sure why it took a full day of sitting before it decided to leak out.. Unfortunately it dried before I found it and is under the clear coat..

The tank seems to have a decent amount of pressure every time I open the gas cap now. I've also pulled the fuel drain line from the bottom and blown back through it. Nothing is blocking the line and I can feel the air through the hole with the fuel cap open.

Taking the bike to the dealer tomorrow.. It needs a few others things such as map update, etc. Needless to say, I am extremely unhappy.. Dealer already said even if they do warranty it, they've already waited two months and counting for other F3 tanks..

Thoughts on what happened? also, possible ways to lighten the stain?

Attachments

·
Old Wing Nut
22,155 Posts
There are 2 hoses for the gas cap....one is the water drain, the other is the cap vent. Any fuel vapors or overflow should go down the vent hose, not out the cap.
See what the dealer says. Can't imagine the paint wouldn't be resistant to gasoline....do you get the dreaded ethanol gas where you live?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Something is wrong with the paint, regardless of type of fuel, a proper clear coat would not be affected by one spill, it would take quite an extended period of time.

Now, if the fuel somehow got in-between the clear and the color, disaster.

Take it to a body shop and have them color sand and polish a spot. My fear is that it will not help, but worth a try for the ten minutes it takes.

·
Super Moderator
24,095 Posts
If there was fuel between the clear and the color, the clear would be able to be removed. it would have lifted. This is not the case here. Any decent clear coat plish should be able to remove the staining with little effort. Fuel has coloring added to it. Two-part panit is very tough stuff.

Find out where the fuel is coming from though.

If your tank is presurizing, the vent is not working.

·
Registered
661 Posts
paint is paint and is rather weak these days. The fuel is probably junk, in my opinion, as most pump fuel is these days. Those look like cornmeal stains, haha. Solvent like gasoline will melt through paint so whatever color agent is in the fuel will end up layers deep in the paint. Suggest paint correction detailing to remove some of the stained top coat, then re-polish. Only other option is to get a full or partial repaint on the tank. Wax your bikes folks, to prevent contaminants from eating through so quickly. even better, paint protect film or at least Klasse acrylic based polish.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Is the F3 cob or did MV cheap out like Ducati and its 899?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dealer found the cap was not venting properly and have ordered a new tank under warranty. Apparently this is common on ducati bikes.. but they hadn't seen an mv do it yet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts