MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks. Paint is the same color as the frame and valve cover. Only cost me $230 for everything. As you can see I still have to mount the front wheel

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
question on pint code for 2013 brutale 1090rr gold color? any body know? i like to paint my wheel gold same as my bike color

·
Registered
819 Posts
question on pint code for 2013 brutale 1090rr gold color? any body know? i like to paint my wheel gold same as my bike color

This doesn't specifically answer the question but may be an alternative. You should have numerous automotive paint supply stores around LA. Would call around to find out which ones have a gun that can scan whatever it is you are looking to color match. Usually if one can get a match of 90% or better its going to be indistinguishable between the 2 by virtually every person on the planet. And if its 98-99% then its a dead on match. Nothing will technically be 100% match unless its from the same (fresh) batch of mixed color.....applied at the same time, in the same fashion, on the same material(s), and weathered exactly the same. An impossibility in the real world so don't worry about getting 100%.

Most of the supply places should have one, or more, of these handy tools. Or, any painter worth their salt will be able to color match it by tinting the closest color you folks can pick out from a swatch book......time consuming though.

Keep in mind that unless one is butting up the new color right next to the old/original color(i.e. 2 panels that bolt up right next to each other) then the tolerances on color variance can be more forgiving. Meaning if you have color on the tank and will be painting the wheels, then the color might not be 100% exact but could still appear that it is because they aren't right next to each other.

Top coats/clear coats are very important when painting on metallics, so make sure whoever does the job is a well experienced painter who knows how to get the same results in matching the oe color.

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Correct

This doesn't specifically answer the question but may be an alternative. You should have numerous automotive paint supply stores around LA. Would call around to find out which ones have a gun that can scan whatever it is you are looking to color match. Usually if one can get a match of 90% or better its going to be indistinguishable between the 2 by virtually every person on the planet. And if its 98-99% then its a dead on match. Nothing will technically be 100% match unless its from the same (fresh) batch of mixed color.....applied at the same time, in the same fashion, on the same material(s), and weathered exactly the same. An impossibility in the real world so don't worry about getting 100%.

Most of the supply places should have one, or more, of these handy tools. Or, any painter worth their salt will be able to color match it by tinting the closest color you folks can pick out from a swatch book......time consuming though.

Keep in mind that unless one is butting up the new color right next to the old/original color(i.e. 2 panels that bolt up right next to each other) then the tolerances on color variance can be more forgiving. Meaning if you have color on the tank and will be painting the wheels, then the color might not be 100% exact but could still appear that it is because they aren't right next to each other.

Top coats/clear coats are very important when painting on metallics, so make sure whoever does the job is a well experienced painter who knows how to get the same results in matching the oe color.
As professional auto refinisher for nearly 30 years, I applaud your very good and highly accurate post.

·
Registered
181 Posts
As professional auto refinisher for nearly 30 years, I applaud your very good and highly accurate post.
Yes I was impressed by Variums post too. My experience after dropping my bike and it needing repair to the tank paint was paint codes proved impossible to get and it was up to the painter to work his magic. As Variums suggest it takes time and effort but I'm pleased with the results. I guess the trick is finding the right paint shop.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts