MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:stickpoke I've had my F4 for a couple of years now and although I usually love it and have nothing but praise to say about it, I have had my share of problems with it as well. One of the biggest and most concerning to me has been the heating issues. I've personally had items on my bike melt and or warped by the temperatures generated by the motor (including the fan blades themselves) in even light traffic conditions. I'm thinking this stuff was obvously not by design and probably won't be good for the bikes long term. I've also heard other here on the forum complain about these same trype issue and was wondering how many of us are dealling with it?
Is it limited to certain years, or models? or is it across the board for all the F4 models?
What if anything have you, or your dealer been able to do to correct it? :banghead:
Do the Brutale guy's have these issues as well, or are they spared because of there naked status?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
My F4's body panels are a little warped where they meet with the bellypan, around the vent cut-out, and getting the dzuz fasteners out can be a pain around there, but I don't think it's got any worse over the last 1000 miles. (Approx 2600 total.)

I've made a habit of running the fans after stopping just to help cool the headers, as it's obviously their close proximity that warps the fairings.

I saw an early F4 at a dealership recently which had a lot worse warping than mine. In fact it was so bad the plastic had cracked because of it.

Mine only has a single radiator, but I've been told by dealers that the 2 rad mod didn't really help. The problem's not in the external cooling ability, it's in the minimal internal pathways to make the engine smaller. (Apparently..)

Si

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah this is one of the typical results of the overheating / fairing clearance / ventilation problems. It's also something that seems to develop over a few long rides too. Like I mean your not going to get this the first time out, especially on if it's a short blast, but if you run it long enough on a couple of hot days you begin to notice it happening. Trust me it drives you crazy, because it looks like crap and there really no fix for it. At least that I know of.
PK

·
Registered
418 Posts
Overheating is a major issue as one can tell by the numerous threads on this site about it. Several weeks ago I got stuck in highway construction traffic jam and bike hit 261 degrees (it was about 75-80 ambient).

I just took my bike in for 600 mile service (ok, 720 mile service) and the guy said "ah yeah thats normal for these bikes, always too hot" he didnt seem at all alarmed at the 261 degree mark. Normal trafic temps for me (i.e., going thru town, a few red lights etc.) is 220-240 degrees.

Frankly, it has me wondering if there isn't a strong basis for legal action here, i.e., breach of the implied warranty of fitness or implied warranty of merchantability; MV knows where and how these bikes will be used, and knows that traffic (low speed) situations are foreseeable and unavoidable. The bikes (at least the 1000s) do not appear fit for their intended purpose, and actual damage has occurred (melted fan blades, warped panels, etc.). For example, I know I would not be able to ride for 25 minutes and then stop the bike and let it sit running for 10 minutes without it overheating. Thus, the bike is not fit for its intended purpose since it should not overheat even sitting still.

Seems to me like a ripe area for a class action to get us all some upgraded fan blades, high capacity fans and radiators, and have it all paid for. Moreover, such an action would sort of force MV to deal with this issue in the next generation of bike(s) and not dump the problem on the owners.

If this exact issue arose in Fords or Chryslers, it would have been dealt with swiftly either by the manufacturer or by the courts.

·
Registered
54 Posts
over heating and other issues with mv

i agree with you , i have reported them to the highway administration and think every owner should. i have yet to send the paperwork back though. everyone complains but noone seems to actually standup and take action.

·
Registered
154 Posts
you guys thought about using water wetter or engine ice to keep the temp down???? ive heard nothing but great things about those products!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I am sure this has been beaten to death but water wetter would not do anything to keep the temp down but allows better heat exchange to prevent local "hot spots" which results "early" evaporation. "Bulk" temperature (heat capacity) of the coolant remains the same under given conditions with or w/o water wetter.

I had my first ride with my bike yesterday. It heated up pretty quickly at traffic lights to blinking 235F and beyond. Today after work, I stripped the fairings off and studied it a little bit. Also checked the coolant level. It was near MIN level and when I pinched the upper radiator upper hose, there was a gurgling air sound. When I squeezed air came out from the tank but it was sucking the air back. I filled the tank with 50/50 mixture to the level where return hose was located. After few more squeeze, gurgling sounds disappeared. When I warmed the engine up, it went up to 205F, fans kicked in and temp dropped to 195F and stayed there (stationary bike). I've noticed No:3 (from left to right) header was glowing red by the mean time. When I killed the engine, fans stopped too.

My conclusion is that the dealer prep was lousy to say the least while filling it up and not bothering to check if there was any air trapped in the coolant system. They've earned one minus score so far from me which I will let them know about.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Obmot said:
Overheating is a major issue as one can tell by the numerous threads on this site about it. Several weeks ago I got stuck in highway construction traffic jam and bike hit 261 degrees (it was about 75-80 ambient).

I just took my bike in for 600 mile service (ok, 720 mile service) and the guy said "ah yeah thats normal for these bikes, always too hot" he didnt seem at all alarmed at the 261 degree mark. Normal trafic temps for me (i.e., going thru town, a few red lights etc.) is 220-240 degrees.

Frankly, it has me wondering if there isn't a strong basis for legal action here, i.e., breach of the implied warranty of fitness or implied warranty of merchantability; MV knows where and how these bikes will be used, and knows that traffic (low speed) situations are foreseeable and unavoidable. The bikes (at least the 1000s) do not appear fit for their intended purpose, and actual damage has occurred (melted fan blades, warped panels, etc.). For example, I know I would not be able to ride for 25 minutes and then stop the bike and let it sit running for 10 minutes without it overheating. Thus, the bike is not fit for its intended purpose since it should not overheat even sitting still.

Seems to me like a ripe area for a class action to get us all some upgraded fan blades, high capacity fans and radiators, and have it all paid for. Moreover, such an action would sort of force MV to deal with this issue in the next generation of bike(s) and not dump the problem on the owners.

If this exact issue arose in Fords or Chryslers, it would have been dealt with swiftly either by the manufacturer or by the courts.

I couldn't agree with you more Obmot. This has become a pretty big problem, that probably should have been addressed by the manufacture a long time ago and it annoys me that their not being forthright or honest about correcting it. For the most part I do love the MV and how wonderful the design turned out, but having to deal with production errors like this, that are serious enough to give you that "sinking feeling" just at the site of some traffic developing ahead really sucks ass. What is really annoying me now is the seemingly scripted responses you get from those involved. I mean I think we've all heard some version of the MV temperature speech. It almost doesn't matter were you purchased the bike from they all seems to sing the same song and try to tell you "it's normal for these types of bikes", "it's a high compression motor and all". I mean how long do they plain on playing stupid for? Every damn modern sportbike motor made now a days is made with a fucking high compression motor, but most of them have a cooling system designed to handle it. And despite what they try to say no combustion motor vehicle made for production use (high compression or otherwise) should ever run over the 220 - 235F range for any period of time.(period) Anyone that says otherwise is either mislead, full of shit, or completely out of their crazy minds. I'm sorry for the rant :cussing: , but the bullshit really has to stop in order for anything to change.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
you shouldnt be sorry, you are right to be angry, mv should fix this problem, if my 05 1000s doesnt have a overheating problem, neither should other mv models, there is a problem somewhere along the line, i mean i ride in traffic and the outside temps are 100+ deg fer. and my bike is still under 220 deg. that is very normal temp. i dont know why your bikes are not the same. but if u ask me, i would say there is a problem and that problem should have a fix, u just have to find it. i would try alluminum fan blades, engine ice, and redline water wetter if i were u.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mv2envy said:
you shouldnt be sorry, you are right to be angry, mv should fix this problem, if my 05 1000s doesnt have a overheating problem, neither should other mv models, there is a problem somewhere along the line, i mean i ride in traffic and the outside temps are 100+ deg fer. and my bike is still under 220 deg. that is very normal temp. i dont know why your bikes are not the same. but if u ask me, i would say there is a problem and that problem should have a fix, u just have to find it. i would try alluminum fan blades, engine ice, and redline water wetter if i were u.
Yeah I just ordered the aluminum fan blades from Muzzy and have already tried the engine ice, water wetter crap, but it doesn't do much for a under designed system. I'm hoping the fans wiil help, although I feel like it's crazy that we have to do all this shit, just to go for a ride. Especially on a bike we already paid more than twenty grand for. I mean am I supposed to reengineer this whole fucking bike now?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I use to run a house fan on my Ducati after a ride to blow cool air at the radiator, for about an hour. I guess I'll start doing that again with this bike.

As far as internal temps go, water only is best for cooling. Unfortunately it's not best for keeping internal parts protected long term. Off hand I'm not sure what the recommended ratio of coolant to water is, but the less coolant the cooler the engine will operate.

Anyone wrap their headers?

Anyone using Amsoil synthetic? My Ducati ran exponentially hot with that oil. After only a few rides with that oil I got rid of it.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Wow, alot of hostility from alot of people.

But I think I could remeber this being a race bike for the street.

I think that also other Italian and jap liter bikes have heating issues (check the forums) with mixed band aids (see honda post-operation fan pulse).

I dont think that these bikes were meant to be putted around in traffic (Except the brute. Now if the brute had a problem, that would be an issue.)

I think if you are seriously unhappy with the product, kick it to the curb and search for something that meets your needs elsewhere. But for us few who love our toy and the heritage it carries, please dont ruin it for us.

Lawsuits are not necesarry as they would just point out similar performance across the board (similar size models). And reiterate the application and intended use of the bike (race rep not cruiser).

I just feel like we are getting out of hand with saying the Mona Lisa needs a fresh coat of paint. If you dont like it, you can sell it. There are many willing people to take it off your hands.
If you are going to stick with it, Man up and brush up on your knowledge of liter bike motors and who to ride and keep them cool.
>Disclaimer: These are just thoughts from TreeMV. Do not take offense or to heart anything posted here. And if i did hurt your feelings I apologize........ Or you could just man up ya silly muppets :smoking: <

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Sorry Mr Tree your talking rubbish, this bike IS NOT A RACE BIKE, the problem is the bike was marketed as a 750 first, and even then it suffered cooling problems in its early life with the single radiator, the twin rad was a fix for the 750 but has not been upgraded since.

It needs a better cooling system--rads, fans etc, and something doing to allow the heat to escape the fairings, but this aint going to happen as long as every one accepts it and does nothing, MV are hardly going to offer bigger rads/fans and modified fairings to cure the problem free of charge without a little persuasion.

I am lucky that I have very little traffic to deal with before I get to 'my roads' but if I lived in the likes of London I doubt you would ever get further than a couple of miles before the thing overheated.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
mikef4uk said:
Sorry Mr Tree your talking rubbish, this bike IS NOT A RACE BIKE, the problem is the bike was marketed as a 750 first, and even then it suffered cooling problems in its early life with the single radiator, the twin rad was a fix for the 750 but has not been upgraded since.

It needs a better cooling system--rads, fans etc, and something doing to allow the heat to escape the fairings, but this aint going to happen as long as every one accepts it and does nothing, MV are hardly going to offer bigger rads/fans and modified fairings to cure the problem free of charge without a little persuasion.

I am lucky that I have very little traffic to deal with before I get to 'my roads' but if I lived in the likes of London I doubt you would ever get further than a couple of miles before the thing overheated.
+1

I wouldnt call it a race bike either cause race bikes have cooling systems that actually work. I live in london and riding the 1000R without it hitting 104-107 degrees celcius is impossible, I wouldnt sell my MV cause its my baby. spoken to emotouk about getting CF Fan Blades + Motor changed to help the cooling, It's being investigated at the moment.

I cut my fairing like the CC to help the air escape and it really hasnt helped the cooling when in traffic lights.

I think MV needs to be pushed to make changes as they clearly have made no intentions to offer a replacement working cooling system under warrenty.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Excusing the problems as a "race bike" is just a cop out. As if GSX-R's, CBRs, ZX-Rs and R1/6's aren't better, more successful racing platforms?

To be honest, I don't find the heat too much of a problem on my '00 750. When stopped at lights I turn the engine off and run the fans while waiting for a green light. When finished riding I run the fans with the engine off until it drops < 90c. But it bugs me that I should have to. This is the first bike I've owned that can't maintain it's own temperature when at idle on a cool day.

I put water-wetter in last year. The only difference I found was that it appears to drop temperature quicker, but it doesn't prevent it climbing up there in the first place.

Si

·
Registered
294 Posts
TreeMV said:
I think that also other Italian and jap liter bikes have heating issues (check the forums) with mixed band aids (see honda post-operation fan pulse).
One of the most refined bikes of all times, Blackbird, does have a known running "hot" issue too. Temps go up to 245F but system is designed to be so apparently. I don't lik eit when it happens but it doesn't bother me on that bike. On 312 though I felt it on my legs like no other bike...

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Many of you who have posted here feel the issue is inadquate venting for the hot air around the engine. For example, if you pull the fairings off the bike won't overheat no matter what.

Matty and I have sent our headers out to different shops for cermic coating which is supposed to dramatically lower the ambient temp. around the header. The last time my 1000 was on the dyno we measured the temp from the silencers at the computer and the two electrical connections under the seat. We got readings of 235f! I purchased some insulating mat from Jegs, (it is the same stuff that MV has put on the inside of the fairings), and stuck it to the plastic between the silencers and seat. I will measure the temps again the next time I am at John's and see if that helped. I will post any "seat of the pants difference" in heat from using the insulating blanket. Matty had his whole exhaust done, I think, and might be able to post his results.

Unfortunately, I did not measure the temps at the headers so I don't know exactly how much cooler they will be with the JetHot coating. I will post wether the bike is running cooler. For the record, Mine has never gone above 224f. But it will drop to 156f on the highway with the ambient temp at 75f. It puked a little coolant when it was new, but that is because they filled it too much. I would say my average temp during a days rideing is around 196f.

CAG

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
my bike runs from 165 on cold days to 215 on hot days stuck in traffic. Thats the highest ive seen. I dunno why there is such a dramatic difference in temps from one bike to another. water wetter must make a huge difference

1 - 20 of 131 Posts