MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I have a problem with my new F4R - it has been purging coolant a lot.

It has done about 550 km, and last time I rode it, it was still belching coolant in copious quanties. And I could hear coolant boiling.

The temp when running along at speed is in the range 106-109. But in traffic this rises quickly, up to 125 C at times, often to 112-116 C.

I have not pulled off the fairing yet to see where the coolant is coming from. It doesn't seem like a leak but more like an overflow.

I know MVs run hot, but this is not right.

Has anyone had similar issues? Any suggestions?

I spoke to my local mechanic (who is not an authorised MV mechanic) and he has another F4R in at the moment with a leaking coolant pump, that the MV dealer is failing to deal with adequately.

I did want to take the bike on our Ducati Club ride in two days, but will have to fall back on to the old ST3... damn. :banghead:

Any comments would be appreciated.

Doc

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Hello Doc,

There have been several instances with overheating bikes due to air in the system. Are you familiar with how to purge this? What level is the reservoir showing now?

Have you seen the water pump FAQ to distinguish between a leaking pump and overflow?

My very first suggestion would be air.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
i would say your fan is melted or is in the process and is no longer as effective as it was, its happened to my fan and it also has happened to a few other 1000R owners.

Im looking for a solution at the moment but other members may already have sorted this issue, I think mike has.

·
Jason + Stanley Knife + D.I.Y = Casualty and
1,061 Posts
i had this problem with mine from new i only got 2 miles on it when it went straight beck to the dealer

turned out to be the radiator cap
it only spewed coolant when idleing when riding it the air flow kept it cool

i'd try that 1st got one you could borrow of someone close
and it'd be a free guess at the problem
worth a try

jas

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
mate, sounds like air in the system. If the bike goes above 115c stop straight away as this is the limits of the stock coolant boiling point.

Check if the fans are operating, ie relays and fuses. The 750s fans kicks in at about 100-105 degrees.

PS didn't you know that when the bike arrives into Australia its upside down? So air might have been trapped in the system. Typical Italians, they keep forgetting that we're upside down downunder.hehehe

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
guys

thanks for the advice - will check these things out tonight after work....

Doc

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
James

What is the best way of purging the coolant/radiator system? Never had to do it before on the MV.

cheers

Doc

JamesC said:
Hello Doc,

There have been several instances with overheating bikes due to air in the system. Are you familiar with how to purge this? What level is the reservoir showing now?

Have you seen the water pump FAQ to distinguish between a leaking pump and overflow?

My very first suggestion would be air.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Doc, sorry I can't help and to hear of the problem. Give Feeneys a call 07 5596 6655 they could probably talk you through what needs to be done...and Congrats on the new bike.

·
Banned
2,732 Posts
Hope that cooling problem is fixed by now, but just for info, I had a similar problem with my cooling fan not cutting in, causing the bike to overheat (if you let it go that far)!. The cooling fan was removed and found to be running okay when tested, it just wasnt cutting in when required.

Eventually it was traced to a faulty relay. Once the relay was replaced (which cost £3.81) all was well. Took a lot of man hours to trace this fault though, so anyone having similar problems with your cooling fan not cutting in dont write the fan off, check the relay

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
The fans are a great suggestion :) Check as they suggested above. I assumed that was checked already but is the right place to start.

To purge the air:

Remove key surround (2 allens and tilt damper out of the way, no need to remove)
Open res cap when cool
Remove side and V fairings
Squish all the hoses leading to the radiators in sequence on both sides of bike. The rubber hoses collapse a little easier if the water had been warm. Just go hose by hose and keep squeezing over and over again. Hard to know where the air might be trapped if that's the problem but you can usually feel it if air is in the line.

Let us know.

·
Registered
367 Posts
minime said:
PS didn't you know that when the bike arrives into Australia its upside down? So air might have been trapped in the system. Typical Italians, they keep forgetting that we're upside down downunder.hehehe
Good one mate ;)

JamesC said:
The fans are a great suggestion :) Check as they suggested above. I assumed that was checked already but is the right place to start.
Someone needs to start bringing out gear for MV's like Aluminium fans etc, oh and make it a much better fan that acutally works in traffic

Jonathan

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi from a new member,

I don't own the R but bought an F41000 new in September 2005. At just under 6000 km's the bike failed on me and nearly caught on fire out in the middle of nowhere with no mobile phone reception! Another story, but the whole electrical system was replaced.

When I got the bike back it was running very hot - it hit 127c at one stage. The mechanic at the dealership had the audacity to suggest that due to summer heat, I should expect higher running temperatures. The cooling fan was kicking in and the fluid had just been replaced. I wasn't happy with this and called the Australian distibutor and insisted they look at it personally. They discovered early signs of a blown head gasket and it was replaced. They claim they haven't heard of any prior similar problems with this model.

Cheers,
MarkM

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
As you say Doc You have a problem, my R see's 106c but only when i'm stationary, my friends S is ALWAYS 8-10c cooler if we pull up somewhere, general riding it's in the high 80's

They do spew coolant untill the tank level reaches the min mark.

I wonder if it is just an indication problem? the dash gauge still reads from it's own sensor in the radiator, you could try running the bike and swapping the two plugs over, one is in the LH side rad tank, the other next to the thermostat housing, I think they will reach each others sensor.

Measuring the head temp where the water (thermostst housing) leaves the engine is another option to see if the reading is genuine, as is running the bike with the fairings off and see if you can tell by feeling the rad from cold at what temp the thermostat is opening, it may be a faulty thermostat

Best option of all though is tell the dealer to fix it!! :)

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
MarkM said:
Hi from a new member,

I don't own the R but bought an F41000 new in September 2005. At just under 6000 km's the bike failed on me and nearly caught on fire out in the middle of nowhere with no mobile phone reception! Another story, but the whole electrical system was replaced.

When I got the bike back it was running very hot - it hit 127c at one stage. The mechanic at the dealership had the audacity to suggest that due to summer heat, I should expect higher running temperatures. The cooling fan was kicking in and the fluid had just been replaced. I wasn't happy with this and called the Australian distibutor and insisted they look at it personally. They discovered early signs of a blown head gasket and it was replaced. They claim they haven't heard of any prior similar problems with this model.

Cheers,
MarkM
Welcome to the forum Mark - Good to see another Aussie on board!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Mate, all I can say is that is NOT NORMAL. I agree with MikeF4UK, get it fixed by a GOOD DEALER,or ring distriibutor direct, I have had fantastic help from them. Mine runs no where near the temperatures you are indicating.

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
This won't be very helpful, but this is exactly the same problem that AMCN had with their latest test. Perhaps with the publicity received about the problem because of that article, Paul Feeney Group may have knuckled down and found the problem already - so it may be worth getting in touch with them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks to agusta01 for the welcome. This is all new for me with discussion forums. I support the comments of MVASyd re getting the bike looked at by a GOOD DEALER. I have had some shocking experiences by two poor dealers and refuse to do any further business with them. My experiences with the distributor has been excellent however. I assume it is inappropriate to name poor dealerships who do shoddy servicing.
MarkM

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
A good mate of mine is looking at either the Ducati 1098 or the 1000r as he is still undecided. If your worried about naming dealers, please PM me as I'll like to pass the info to him to make the final decission.

Thanks.

MarkM said:
Thanks to agusta01 for the welcome. This is all new for me with discussion forums. I support the comments of MVASyd re getting the bike looked at by a GOOD DEALER. I have had some shocking experiences by two poor dealers and refuse to do any further business with them. My experiences with the distributor has been excellent however. I assume it is inappropriate to name poor dealerships who do shoddy servicing.
MarkM

1 - 20 of 70 Posts