MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out for a ride on a cool morning and alarmed to see my temp gauge flashing 112 at me when riding through a village. The temp went down again when on the open road but as I got home it was hot again.

Neither of the fans are working. Checked all fuses ok. (all 15amp as opposed to some noted as 7.5 in the manual I have, but my MV is F4 1000R which is a later model than that in the manual).

Checked the coolant.... all appears ok at the correct level.

Can I test the fans when they are in situ, or is this a remove the rads job?

I feel it must be a sensor prob as both fans not working.

What else should I check? I should add I suffered some corrosion this winter, as brake light switch and headlamp switch were not working when I got the bike out in the spring. I stripped those down which resolved that issue.

Anything else I can easily check?

Cheers

Tont

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Then download the later models manuals and check again. There's more cooling threads going on than chain tension treads at the moment, try the search function.

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
The test procedure for the fans is on page 53 of the manual. Reading through it you can test the fans by removing the temp sensor lead marked M ( should be the one fitted to the Cylinder head sensor ) .

Loosely speaking the terminals of the lead can be bridged with the ignition switch in the on position and then the fans should operate.

Note there is a fan relay in the circuit.

Currious as to why you have 15A fuses ... Edit ( explained as this is correct for year )

If you need a relay give me a call 07875 299281...and we'll have a coffee at Wellesbourne ; )

joe

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Joe. Will have a look at the lead when I next get five minutes!
Just downloaded the later manual (thanks Donsy) and note that all the fuses on MY 2006 are 15amp. Not sure why the change. I also note that the spares slots are empty in the manual pic as is my fuse box - the tight gits!

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Thanks Joe. Will have a look at the lead when I next get five minutes!
Just downloaded the later manual (thanks Donsy) and note that all the fuses on MY 2006 are 15amp. Not sure why the change. I also note that the spares slots are empty in the manual pic as is my fuse box - the tight gits!
Ah I see so you do have the correct fuses..: ) ..My 1000R is a 2007..Now I am curious as to the fuses..I'll go have a look.. Anyway, time we said hello down at the airfield as we missed each other before !

All the best,

Joe

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes must do. I was just saying the same to Adam this evening. He had been over to Tadmarton today on his Jota.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Joe, are you over at the airfield most weekends then?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, fuses ok.
Manual then says... If the fuse is in good condition, check the cooling
fan relay mounted on the right side of the motorcycle
as indicated in page 38..... I go to page 38 and nothing about cooling fan relay?! So haven't checked that.

I did do the check on the connector of the temperature sensor marked by an M on the lead, and made a
bridge between the two contacts, and the fans did not run with ignition on, so assume it must be that?!

Can these be bought anywhere or do they have to be MV?

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Ok, fuses ok.
as indicated in page 38..... I go to page 38 and nothing about cooling fan relay?! So haven't checked that.

I did do the check on the connector of the temperature sensor marked by an M on the lead, and made a
bridge between the two contacts, and the fans did not run with ignition on, so assume it must be that?!

I have a box full of relays...So I can post you one or bring one over to you at Wellesbourne Cafe : )

And I dont want anything for it...!

·
Vendor
5,280 Posts
Ok, fuses ok.

If you bridge the black/white wire on the fan relay to earth the fans should come on.That will check the fan motors are OK.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry, but I am being really thick here, as I can't identify which is the fan relay. Where is it located as its not clear in the manual?

·
Vendor
5,280 Posts
Sorry, but I am being really thick here, as I can't identify which is the fan relay. Where is it located as its not clear in the manual?
The fan relay is on the R/H side of the bike where your knee would be positioned sitting on the bike.There is a bank of fuses there also.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was tucked behind the fuse block, no wonder I didn't see it!One of the spades looks a bit corroded

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I tried the bridge from the black/white wire to earth, and neither fan came on.. bugger... but why neither fan working? Can't be both of the knackered can it?

·
Vendor
5,280 Posts
I doubt it,check connections to the fans.Are you sure the fan fuse is OK.Also just swap the relay with your headlight relay to check that.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Mitch,
I swapped the relay for the headlight one and the fans burst into action!
Now, I've just got to retrieve the well nut that dropped into the air tube when I took the cover off!
Cheers,
Tont

·
Vendor
5,280 Posts
1st,good news you just need a new relay.
2nd,whatever you do don't open that throttle until you retrieve that wellnut.:jsm:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don't worry, well nut retrieved and replaced with new!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts