MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My crank is ovalized, would like to know if i should stop to ride the bike still i get a new transmission, or if i can ride it carefully untill i change it. Any secondary effects inside the engine?
Thank you

·
Administrator
19,817 Posts
What is "Ovalized" ? Is there a bearing journal out of round? You are talking about the crankshaft, right?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mean the sprocket (the dented wheel that is pulled by the chain, in the back wheel) got oval, meams its pulling the chain irregularly. Even the tyre is worned out one half more than the other half

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have gone over 260 km/h a couple of times, but didnt go over that speed, and i just feel a vibration on the handlebars, a bit more than normal. Should i stop riding...? Or just ride smooth and not cover 150 or something like it?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, a picture should help, but the only thing i could tell you is the tyre on one side is worned out, and on the other half is still good for another 2000 miles.
The chain is loose too much on one side and too tight on the other half of the turn of the wheel (180°), creating a light vibration on the handlebars. Tried downloading photos, but didnt manage.
Decided to ride smooth and slow until is checked.
Cheers

·
Administrator
19,817 Posts
Kinked and stretched chain...sprockets may or not be good.
Tire wear possibly is from riding on crowned roads. Normal for one side to show more wear than the other. Almost all public roads are crowned.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Tire wear possibly is from riding on crowned roads. Normal for one side to show more wear than the other. Almost all public roads are crowned.
Whilst that's true does the OP mean tyre wear across the profile, which would support your theory, or around the circumference. If the latter something is seriously wrong. There do tend to be minor differences around the circumference but these can be measured in the lower decimal points of a mm. The obvious language barrier in this case would benefit greatly from some pictures.

As to the original question regarding the possibility of engine damage. A chain with un even wear can be detrimental to the gearbox output shaft bearing, especially if the chain is tensioned at one if the slack parts of the chain.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The diference of wear between the two halves of the tyre is too much to be caused by crowned roads, never had this before and im using the same roads, and riding the same way.
A wheel that s been incorrectly mounted, not aligned properly, could turn the sprocket oval. Read this somewhere...
Let me take some pics today, and I' ll get back to you later.

·
Administrator
19,817 Posts
Can't misalign a wheel in a single side swing arm. The hub axis is fixed with only elliptical movement for chain tension.
I can understand a kinked or unevenly stretched chain, but uneven tire wear should not be related to that.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Mixed compound tyres maybe. What is the tyre type.

Also if there is a rear hub bearing issue then the wheel could be pulled out of line methinks.

I wouldn't ride it until the chain and both sprockets were changed..I'd also be looking closely at the hub bearings Eduardo as a chain running tight will be putting the bearings under stress.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
22,319 Posts
^^^What Joe said!!!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree with everything you all said, but the idea the problem comes from a hub malfunction is interesting.
The tyre is a Metzeler Racetech K3
Photos soon, still today

1 - 20 of 57 Posts