MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have this, and connect the permanent cable? If so, would enjoy suggestions and/or pics of your setup. Cheers.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I bought a used F4 and the previous owner installed a tender. I don't know what brand it is and I can't take pics right now since the bike is in my parent's garage. The permanent hookup is near the keyhole for the lifting the tail unit.

Anyway, WTF are these for? Do bike batteries run out of charge frequently?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
psperl said:
I bought a used F4 and the previous owner installed a tender. I don't know what brand it is and I can't take pics right now since the bike is in my parent's garage. The permanent hookup is near the keyhole for the lifting the tail unit.

Anyway, WTF are these for? Do bike batteries run out of charge frequently?
No, its just that the majority of MV's are not commuters, that is, not used on a regular basis. So keeping the battery in good condition between rides makes sense :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Obmot said:
Anyone have this, and connect the permanent cable? If so, would enjoy suggestions and/or pics of your setup. Cheers.
I saw this at the CW Show and inquired about it from the North American distributor and he told me it wasn't a tender, just a charger. Now from what I understand (anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong) a tender will pull a little bit of the charge out and then put it back into mimic actual use. Otherwise the battery will begin to develop corrosion in the plates and they'll split inside causing the battery to no longer hold a charge.

So with what he explained to me, this device is only for batteries that are dead and need to be recharged.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Hi there, i use one, my bike is on it permanently when not in use, it keeps the battery tip top (im on the original battery and my bike is nearly 4 years old now). Used on on all my bikes, works as a charger, top up and conditioner.... highly recommended. My MV is always ready to go.

·
Registered
144 Posts
EVO Chris said:
Hi there, i use one, my bike is on it permanently when not in use, it keeps the battery tip top (im on the original battery and my bike is nearly 4 years old now). Used on on all my bikes, works as a charger, top up and conditioner.... highly recommended. My MV is always ready to go.
Looks like I misunderstood what the rep was telling me.

EVO Chris,

What's the difference between a conditioner and a tender?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Info on Optimate 3

Optimate III 12v Battery Charger Optimiser

Tests the battery for possible deep discharge or sulphating. If necessary, the OptiMate III automatically engages a special high voltage recovery mode (up to 22v) with controlled very low fixed current, so as to de-sulphate very flat batteries, for up to 2 hours, controlled by internal timer.

Charges at 0.6 Amps constant current (<bulk charging>stage) for maximum safe rate recharge until such time as the battery is normally able to crank the engine.

During a 30 minute timed verification stage the OptiMate III ensures that eve well-used batteries are brought to full charge saturation. If necessary the programme reverts automatically to the bulk charging stage, repeating steps 2 & 3 as many times as may be necessary until the battery is thoroughly charged.

During a times 30 minute pause in its programme, the circuit monitors the battery's voltage retention when <off charge>. This is to identify batteries unable to retain their charge adequately without charger support. (The charge LED continues to indicate).

The green LED indicates for batteries, which pass the voltage retention test. They are then offered charge current according to need for 30 minutes so as to support connected electronic alarms or other small loads. The voltage retention check (step 4) is then repeated and alternates thereafter with step 5 for as long as OptiMate III and battery remain connected. Suspect batteries are identified by the red LED indicating. The circuit will continue to offer the battery float charge support until disconnected.

Best regards,
Bob....

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Quite an intelligent piece of kit then really! :) Thanks for that Bob :smoking:

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I use one, (actually it's a Datatool one, but it's just a re-badged Optimate as far as I can tell.)

The main advantage for me is that my bike's alarm, (Datatool Veto Evo), will drain my battery in a week if left with the movement sensor activated. So I can leave it on charge all the time.

The "permanent" fitting wires screw directly onto the battery terminals so don't worry about having to make loom changes. I keep the socket under my seat, and just pull it out to plug it in.

Si

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
TheCatWhisperer said:
The "permanent" fitting wires screw directly onto the battery terminals so don't worry about having to make loom changes. I keep the socket under my seat, and just pull it out to plug it in.

Si
I have the same set up on both my Duke and the F4, :) I plug one of them in for 3 - 4 days and then swap over so it keeps both bikes batteries in good shape through the winter months.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts