MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm thinking about getting this stuff:
http://www.oppracing.com/products.php?action=show_images&bodywork_id=106&id=976

After taking apart my F4, it occured to me that it would be really easy to just swap the entire plastic for a track day. The gas tank and airbox would probably stay on, but those could be changed pretty quickly too if I ever get a second set.

Has anyone used their stuff?

My guess is that they are using the same molds for all of the different layups (fiberglass, carbon fiber, so on), so even if you don't have the fiberglass version, I'd be interested in your opinion.

Thanks,
Alex

PS - just for reference, a stock (OEM) mid is $720 retail, so the fiberglass is a bargin in comparison. Plus, fiberglass holds in a crash better than the ABS plastic used by most OEMs.

·
Registered
279 Posts
alex get the titanium silver carbon!

fiberglass is great for track but none will match OEM fit and finish quality for the street.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
^^ I dunno if I'de be dropping $2500 on Ti Silver bodywork for the track...maybe use the OEM stuff with a race upper, or just all together get both :laughing:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I know Patrik and can say that he is a stand up guy. I have had a friends OPP silver carbon fender sitting on my desk for the last year waiting on him to pull the trigger on the paint job. The fender looked great although it was for a 996. I ordered the Silver sides and lower and they will be here by Friday. I will have an opinion on fit and finish after that point. I will also post pics of the mounting process and provide a review so wait a few days and I will show you. Mine will have cleared over stock decals from SRS Sign Design (see the decal thread) and be the show body work.

Chris

·
Ambassador / 007 , , Waiting for new bike
6,135 Posts
altoon said:
I'm thinking about getting this stuff:
http://www.oppracing.com/products.php?action=show_images&bodywork_id=106&id=976

After taking apart my F4, it occured to me that it would be really easy to just swap the entire plastic for a track day. The gas tank and airbox would probably stay on, but those could be changed pretty quickly too if I ever get a second set.

Has anyone used their stuff?

My guess is that they are using the same molds for all of the different layups (fiberglass, carbon fiber, so on), so even if you don't have the fiberglass version, I'd be interested in your opinion.

Thanks,
Alex

PS - just for reference, a stock (OEM) mid is $720 retail, so the fiberglass is a bargin in comparison. Plus, fiberglass holds in a crash better than the ABS plastic used by most OEMs.
I know two boys then have it in fiberglass for track.
He are so much satisfied.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chris,

Keep us posted! The fit/finish info is exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks,
Alex

·
Registered
144 Posts
altoon said:
Chris,

Keep us posted! The fit/finish info is exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks,
Alex
Alex,

I bought a carbon front fender from them for my Aprilia Mille and the quality was so-so. There were a few air bubbles in the resin, nothing major. It still hasn't been fitted, but my inital reaction wasn't great, but it also wasn't bad. One thing I did like was the extremely fast shipping and how well they packaged it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hmmm... I hate to be a contrarian, and I generally try to support vendors who are helping us MV'ers. BUT, I have to say I was extremely disappointed with OPP's products and services. Now, a few disclaimers...

...I bought the full 750 set for my SPR about a year ago. MAYBE they've gotten better.

...they were manufacturing the pieces somewhere in eastern Europe, and shipping them through Austria. MAYBE they've shifted manufacturing.

What I received was disappointing. First, they used molds made directly off factory body work. The good news, of course, is that it should roughly match. The bad news is that they picked up all the logos and other "relief" that appears on the factory panels.

Okay, that's not a big deal.

Worse, though: they sent me the wrong set... twice. I also found that the consistency of the plastic layup was questionable. Thin in some places, thick in others... but generally the wrong depth in the wrong places. The panels were too thick, for example, where they merge... so it took a lot of filing down to get the side panels to fit in the nose panel. Then, though, though, the closed nose was so thin at its point that it's cracked on me in two places, despite no real pressure on it. And the seat has no underside mounting points, so you'll have to invent some system of securing the tail to the subframe.

In all, I was hoping for a more turnkey solution -- drill some holes for the fasteners and hang it on the bike. Instead, I had to do a good deal of engineering to get a good fit... and I've found that the pieces have unfortunately not held up very well.

All things considered, you get what you pay for, of course. You're not buying factory parts... and therefore not getting factory fit and finish. So, if you're okay with some fitting, some trial, some error... and you can tolerate a fast pace of wear and tear, you'll be okay. For the price, it's okay... but I hoped for much more than just "okay."

Perhaps you can ask a few good questions of Patrtick and see if they've been able to improve the manufacturing, or if they'll back you up if things crack. If so, that's great, and I'd certainly appreciate reading an update on improvements at OPP.

If you go this route and run into questions about the tail, I'm glad to provide pictures of my solution, should that help.

Best wishes,
Thomas

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Big box waiting for me when I arrived at work today. I love my job. I do all the work on my bikes here so to the back I went with the big box from OPP.
The packaging was good and should protect in anything but a crush situation. What Tclinton says is correct. The moulds came off stock bodywork which I prefer over stuff that has been modified by the aftermarket guys for ease of manufacture. The OPP stuff is made in Eastern Europe but I am not sure where and it really dosent matter. The molds do have the imprint of the factory decals. This does not bother me because I will sand them, put the stock decals on and clear over. It will be very easy to get proper decal placement.
I did not experience getting the wrong product ever from these guys.
Getting the product can take some time if it is not in stock. I was not impatient as I did not need it until today so I have no complaints in this area. Be sure to ask how long it will take to get if not in stock. I am sure Patrik will be honest with you but things can happen that are out of his control when dealing with some European vendors as I am sure we have all experienced with MV and Ducati.
As Tclinton says above, this is not a turn key product and will require work and skill to be show stopping. The seems need to be sanded, you will have to drill holes which are easy to locate due to the imprint from the stock mould panel. If you are looking at the silver you will not be happy with the silver paste used at the edges and corners. This is the nature of the beast and a requirement when hard angles are involved. I have a plan for this that involves my airbrush and some carefully matched silver.
Tclinton says above that some of the parts were thin and weak. This is not the case with the parts I received. The sides and belly pan are strong and of uniform thickness. The edges are reinforced with kevlar for strength.
I do not see any issues with fit being that this is molded from stock and holding in place on the bike the thicknesses are spot on where it meets the upper. The panals are a much better fit than the fiberglass panals that are on my bike in the latest pics. I will post more on fitment when I mount this stuff up.
To sum up: This bodywork is exactly what I expected. I am very happy with it. I would buy it again. I have some work to put into it to be perfect. You get what you pay for and in this case I think you get your moneys worth. If I were the manufacturer I would smooth the molds where the logos are and the leading edge seam but over all a quality product. I would grad it an "A".

Pros.
Silver Carbon Fiber is a great look.
Weight savings over stock.
Good build.
Good Fit
Reasonable Pricing compared to stock and other manufactures.
Kevlar reinforcement
Can be decaled and cleared with show stoping results.
Guranteed to stop people in their tracks.

Cons
Logo Decal Imprints
Paste around edges
More never ending questions from people at gas stations!
Requires decals and paint

I will post pics when I mock it up.

Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts