MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about replacing my F4 seat covers with suede or similar. What are they like when wet? Does it pass water through into the sponge beneath and take an eon to dry? Do they fade badly? I've seen some that look brown. Is that sunlight damage? Is the fake suede better at maintaining its colour?

Thanks,

Si

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Alcantara is a under emormous pressure compacted fabric. Which is usually initially about a half inch thick. After the process it is only about a millimeter thick. The Advantage of this fabric is, aside the suede look, that water or any other fluid can't find a way into the fabric. Mean's what ever you poor on it can be easily wiped off. I have several pieces of furniture with Alcantara. I can asure that Coke, Grease, Wine, Blood ... was never an issue. Just wipe it off. My Sofa, Lignet Roset "Togo", Alcantara, is already 15 Years old,it didn't faded at all and looks still as new. Go for it buddy.

·
Registered
330 Posts
the seat is hard but good when you are really going at it. If you have an R the pillon will have a weird coating to color it. it is under recall. I told my dealer and he gave me one to stow away so when mine fades I can keep my spare if I decide to sell the bike. I like the covering cause it is just the right texture so it never grabbs you if you are crawling around the bike during cornering. Its hard though.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
How are they for the everyday user? I.E. will it do like suede does, and get bald from rubbing/everyday use? I've contemplated on this MANY times, but the idea of a baller priced seat getting bald kinda sucks, lol.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
My Alcantara seat gets wet and holds the water, I even "scotch guarded" it from new, this is my 3rd Alcantara seat and they have all soaked water up, and eventually you do wear the pile down, but that does take some miles, a better option for someone who doesn't do wet days I would imagine. :jsm:

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
Here's my 2/100ths...

The fabric seems quite durable, splashes of water don't seem to soak in, I've never submerged mine, however...

One thing I have noticed, when I ride in my riding jeans (Icon, reinforced denim), my butt is LOCKED into the seat, which isn't the greatest when the pace picks up and I want to start moving around a bit. In leathers, though, it is a pretty amazing balance of being able to slide around and change positions, without feeling slippery...Good stuff!

I guess that is just one more reason to wear leathers more often than riding jeans...

Good luck!

Griff
twoeleven

·
Registered
337 Posts
i love them...recently purchased the the alcantara, I washed the bike the other day and the water did not soak the seat as I had expected. It brings an entirely different look that you will certianly be pleased with.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I just had mine done not too long ago, so far so good. Its not too bad at fast pace rides, I would say try it, if you dont like it, change it back to OEM. One thing for sure, it looks damn good.

·
Registered
115 Posts
New Seat!

Just got my seat back from being re-upholstered! Went with the F4 CC Look! :D :naughty: Looks great will upload pics seat off and with it mounted in a bit!

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Most of it is the same material, Moto Corse can do little tricks, like embossing it with a logo you want on it, or their own MC design then charge you 800 bucks for it. My suggestion Tokyo lunch is to go to a Japanese upholstery shop, they will do the same thing MC does for way less. I paid 12,000 yen to have mine done in all black. If you want it done and cant find a shop out there, send it to me and I'll make it happen for you. Took a day for them to do it.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
TheCatWhisperer said:
Thanks for the input. Mike, is it just the covering fabric that holds water, or is it the sponge padding underneath?

Si
I don't know to be honest, It only gets the odd splash when I wash the bike, I tend to keep hose pipes well away from it

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts