MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from my first ride with the Arrow Thunder shorty exhaust. The sound is REALLY EFFING LOUD! Loud enough that I'm afraid it might be a bit too obnoxious even for my taste. If you've ever been to the superbike races, that's the only thing I've heard that sounds anything like it. Roaring down the road the engine finally sounds like the Ferraris that inspired it.

The buttometer says power delivery is no different than w/ the shotgun Arrows I removed, but the sound is so incredible my heart was racing w/ every twist of the throttle. If I decide to keep this I'll have to go get it dyno'd and PC3 tuned to see what the performance numbers are really like.

I'll post pix and see what I can do about creating a sound file tomorrow.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
giomanach said:
I just got back from my first ride with the Arrow Thunder shorty exhaust. The sound is REALLY EFFING LOUD! Loud enough that I'm afraid it might be a bit too obnoxious even for my taste. If you've ever been to the superbike races, that's the only thing I've heard that sounds anything like it. Roaring down the road the engine finally sounds like the Ferraris that inspired it.

The buttometer says power delivery is no different than w/ the shotgun Arrows I removed, but the sound is so incredible my heart was racing w/ every twist of the throttle. If I decide to keep this I'll have to go get it dyno'd and PC3 tuned to see what the performance numbers are really like.

cool stuff man!!

is this the little stubby one that was used for one of the GiMotorsports ones I think??? (pic? :stickpoke )

buttometer...that's funny..... :laughing:

:yo:

·
Registered
968 Posts
Some "real life" pictures would be great.

I'm waiting with anticipation! I love the look of the stock exhausts but the thought of the Ferrari sound is making me feel funny.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
Yeah, ditto.

I love the stock exhaust, but looks like you'll be able to see the entire wheel which i think is kinda cool.

·
Ambassador / 007 , , Waiting for new bike
6,135 Posts
giomanach said:

i know very vell this short pipe!!!!
the sound is FANTASTIC!!(MIKE21&WIFE can confirm) i'm agrre,the sound is like GiMoto's competition bikes!!! :naughty: :naughty:
pier

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm going to install mine soon. Looking forward to it. Since I already removed my passenger pegs, now I can remove the whole exhaust hanger. Should clean up the whole back end nicely.

Loud? I don't think it'll be any louder than the darn Harleys running around here. :jsm:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I still haven't figured out how I can get a decent recording MADE, let alone posted. Which is funny, since I'm no longer writing for a living and now work as an audio engineer! I just don't own any of the recording equipment I need in order to get the sound file into my laptop. I own 7 microphones, an excellent mixing board, and all kinds of other equipment...I just don't have a way to translate that sound into the digital world. I'm waiting to hear back from a friend of mine w/ a hard disc recorder to see if he can help.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
If you have a video camera, or even a digital camera that takes video...just have somebody record you driving by a couple times....as well as at idle...save it to your putor, then upload it here...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Geez...while it would be fun to race around with such a loud exhaust, don't you guys worry about attracting the attention of the cops with every blip of the throttle? They're going to zero in on you from a half mile away, even if you're not speeding-- yet. In my experience the sound pisses off cops more than the velocity, almost, because it creates the perception that you are really getting wild. (Which is what we would like about it too, I guess.)

I've found that when i ride with loud pipes, I end up having to ride MORE conservatively in order to keep the noise down, I'm so paranoid of attracting too much attention. (Oh, I forgot: that was the point of this, right?)

Furthermore, even tracks are now enforcing sound restrictions. When tracks are getting serious about enforcing sound, just imagine how bad the sound situation must be on the street.

Don't forget your hearing.

But, despite saying all this, I do like a good sounding bike. I think MV Agustas have a great sound stock-- that's one of the cool things about them, that they sound great while still staying within the law. Although sometimes I wonder about that. Maybe they had a friend take care of that federal sound test for them.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
manalagi001 said:
Geez...while it would be fun to race around with such a loud exhaust, don't you guys worry about attracting the attention of the cops with every blip of the throttle? They're going to zero in on you from a half mile away, even if you're not speeding-- yet. In my experience the sound pisses off cops more than the velocity, almost, because it creates the perception that you are really getting wild. (Which is what we would like about it too, I guess.)

I've found that when i ride with loud pipes, I end up having to ride MORE conservatively in order to keep the noise down, I'm so paranoid of attracting too much attention. (Oh, I forgot: that was the point of this, right?)

Furthermore, even tracks are now enforcing sound restrictions. When tracks are getting serious about enforcing sound, just imagine how bad the sound situation must be on the street.

Don't forget your hearing.

But, despite saying all this, I do like a good sounding bike. I think MV Agustas have a great sound stock-- that's one of the cool things about them, that they sound great while still staying within the law. Although sometimes I wonder about that. Maybe they had a friend take care of that federal sound test for them.
You raise some good points on the noise including the hearing loss issue.

I don't get the point of annoying everyone for blocks around every time I ride my motorcycle. The loud pipes thing is either too "Squiddly Jr High" or "Low-rent weekend" for me. IMO

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've tried 3 systems so far. The shorty Thunder setup is loud and fun, and has a removable baffle. (easy to remove the circlip) Sounds great both ways in or out. But very loud & nasty baffle out! Performance is about the same as my favorite, the Arrow full system, headers, midpipe & titanium silencers baffle in or out, depending on mood. It runs good either way. On the 750 Brutale, be sure to run a performance eprom with any of the Arrow systems.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Do you need an e-prom to run that exhaust on a 910s? I may install this exhaust instead of the midpipe and stock exhaust.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts