MV Agusta Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey J_Spec

I own a 2017 Lusso and live in a small town where peak hour is actually peak 15 minutes, so not much sitting around, but when I was in a large city, in summer, the bike temp rose to alarming levels, like warning lights level, more than once. I love my bike, but honestly I wouldn't have it as my city commute in hot summers.

·
Registered
88 Posts
As far as I know MV Agusta does not have any warehouses in the US. Ducati does not either.

Should not be a problem in this global economy.

Case in point: two weeks ago I've ordered DID chain from Italy and crash washers from Oregon.

1. DID chain from Italy: shipping $13, delivered in 2 days.
2. Washers from Oregon: shipping $9, delivered in 8 days.

I've also ordered a turn signal support bracket for my TVL through MV dealer here in Denver. Received the part in 12 days.

Everything's relative. If you complain about parts availability for the MV... chances are you never owned an airplane :)

My understanding is that right now, there are no parts at the MV Augusta USA warehoue for this bike. All parts are coming from Italy.

·
Registered
371 Posts
MV Agusta Parts in Varese, Italy Emanuella +39 0332 254443

Customer Service North America (Bristol., PA) Jay (215) 781-1770

Parts North America (Bufford, Ga) Ian (706)867-0032 (706) 429-4366

Parts are available. Jay said by September of 2017, with the new partnership of Black Ocean, the part turn around should be no more than five days. Jay and Ian did say they are seeing improvements already. If the part is not received in a week, I would call one of these guys and get the facts. Dealers are still put off by the lack of customer support in the past and are not following up like they should. That is my experience.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks everyone for the advice and info! The MV parts thing is a bit concerning, but honestly, nothing new for those who have been with the marque for a while. I've been riding MVs for nearly ten years now (wow, time flies!) and parts have always been a bear to acquire. I was lucky when I needed a fuel pressure regulator for my 312R (not a common failure). I called Munroe Motors (the folks selling that TV I'm looking at) and they got it to me, from Italy, in just under 2 weeks.

After doing a tour of all the motorcycle dealerships in town, I have yet to find anything that really sparks my interest. Harley, Honda, Kawi, Suzuki, KTM, Yamaha... Nothing compares to the TV (in my eyes, at least). Taking the boat out tonight for a buyer test run, so I'll know tonight whether or not I'll be making a trip down to San Francisco soon..

·
Registered
371 Posts
After doing a tour of all the motorcycle dealerships in town, I have yet to find anything that really sparks my interest. Harley, Honda, Kawi, Suzuki, KTM, Yamaha... Nothing compares to the TV (in my eyes, at least). Taking the boat out tonight for a buyer test run, so I'll know tonight whether or not I'll be making a trip down to San Francisco soon..[/QUOTE]

I hear you. I wont even ride another bike besides my KTM dirt bikes. I think a vintage cafe racer would be cool, but the touring MV is it for me.:conveyer:

·
Registered
56 Posts
If something major breaks - at least in my situation the riding season will be over for the MV because of lack of parts. This is totally unacceptable in this day and age.
What aggravation are you prepared to put up with - because it will come.
I agree entirely. Getting problems resolved by MV is a time consuming frustrating process. After restructuring there is no technical support from MV in the UK, all support being from the factory. The folk in Italy don't reply to emails without multiple reminders. I have error messages on my dash which are unresolved for months. There is only so much even a good dealer can do.

Tried phoning 00 39 800 364 406 MV customer services (from their website) and guess what- that phone number is not recognized! Probably does not even exist. Says it all dosn't it? And a company that has such scant regard for customer service is selling a tarted up dragster for £30,000!!

Despite all that the TVL is the best all round bike I have owned. An MV is possibly too temperamental and poorly supported to be an only bike. But as a second or third bike ........

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
An MV is possibly too temperamental and poorly supported to be an only bike. But as a second or third bike ........
If I get the TV, my only bikes will be MVs! :laugh:

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Looks like I'm going down to San Francisco on Saturday to pick up my new TV (as long as they don't sell it out from under me).

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
I guess this would be a Lusso, then. Unless they have the pictures mixed up with a different bike.
2016 MV Agusta Turismo Veloce 800 Stock: | Munroe Motors

I'm not really sure how the late registration thing works, either, I'm afraid. Lived abroad for too long to know how a lot of this stuff works. :D

And If this is a Lusso and doesn't come with the panniers, I won't be upset. I have a set of soft luggage that isn't going to set me back another $1,400. And I don't mind wearing a backpack for shorter jaunts, I have a couple nice, motorcycle-focused ones from Ogio and Dainese.

Time for a phone call, I suppose.
That rear mud guard is ugly as sin

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
That rear mud guard is ugly as sin
Definitely not its best feature. I don't like the turn indicators that are mounted to it, either. Must find a tail tidy... :nerd2:

Also, I just realized that I've been a part of this community for over 10 years. Wow.

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Definitely not its best feature. I don't like the turn indicators that are mounted to it, either. Must find a tail tidy... :nerd2:

Also, I just realized that I've been a part of this community for over 10 years. Wow.
Me also. 10 years

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi guys, maybe I am late but I ride my TV all summer in Croatia and it gets really hot here. I drove it in the city in temp over 35C and there were no problems. Yes it was hot, and the fan was working all the time but it was not too bad (I rode in shorts). Only one time it show an alarm Engine Hot when I got off the highway after riding at high speed and then I stopped to wait for my friends with the engine on. I turned the engine off and after 3 minutes everything was back to normal (60% heat indicator). It must have been an issue with altitude when Chas experienced this situation. Good luck with your purchase, I love my TV. Only small issue with clutch switch but everything else works just fine.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
This thing is going to take some getting used to. And a lot of adjustments. Needs more preload all around, clutch isn't as grabby as I'm used to, have to really give it some beans to get going, windshield adjustments go from "lots of wind noise" to "a shit load of wind noise," shifting without the clutch or closing the throttle just feels wrong... otherwise, HOT DAMN! This thing is awesome! The noise from the exhaust and burbles on low decel! Tasty.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Something of concern just came up with the TV... there's quite a bit of play in the cush drive. I put it on the rear stand and if I rock the wheel forward and back, I can see movement on the sprocket carrier. About a millimeter in each direction. Normal? (My F4 doesn't do this)

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I replaced a set at around 4000 miles ISTR. Had similar radial play. Cheap at less than £10 for the set, fitting is easy if you have the hub socket and a suitable torque wrench. My dealer at the time stated they were a service item though he went bust a week or two later. Current set are showing a little less wear at 9000 miles. Service next week so will get the new dealer to supply a new set that I'll fit myself before heading off to the French Alps in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
As to the screen, and depending on plenty of variables such as your height and riding apparel, you could try the Puig screen. I'm 6' tall and it made a big difference to wind noise and buffeting for me.

On the motorway and in rain I raise the screen, otherwise I have it in the lower position. When raised I can feel the wind on my shoulders and GPS etc is audible at significantly higher speed than with the OEM screen.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
I may have to check that screen out. My helmet is top-notch, so it's already relatively quiet. And I don't mind having the screen down as it gets more air through the vents. At 6'3", I'm just too tall for the factory screen. Then again, I don't plan on doing any real long-distance touring on this thing. Mostly weekend jaunts, commuting, and general shenanigans.

Also, first impressions ride report: adjusted all suspension back to factory Sport last night, it was all out of whack (except shock compression. How the hell do I get to it!?); and adjusted tire pressures to my liking (28 rear, 30 front). Took to the hills this morning and the front still feels squishy in the top stroke of the forks. Fork feels like a progressive spring rate where the shock feels linear. Not sure if my settings are off or if it's intentional, but it feels odd. Mid-corner stability is sublime and the bike feels happiest in the 3-9k range. Bars feel a bit close, but I have ape arms, so I may rotate the bars or look for risers with a bit less pull back. Also, I always feel like I'm sliding forward in the saddle which does uncomfortable things to my underpants zone. Hopefully there's a custom seat that can remedy this. Otherwise, absolutely smitten by the thing! Can't wait to get it set up perfectly and really get out to the twisties!

Other things I forgot to mention: slow turns feel a bit wobbly (30 mph and below) likely because of the lack of steering dampener, wide bars, and long forks. Brakes are very strong, but lack initial feel. Rear brake has more feel than front, which is odd. Clutch doesn't really engage until the last few cm of lever-out travel and lack of low-end torque makes setting off from a stop either a slow or jerky affair. I have the clutch lever adjusted all the way in and it still doesn't bite until way out in the lever travel. Considering this was a demo and shop bike, I'm guessing it has seen its fair share of clutch-up wheelies (especially taking the cush drive play into consideration).

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I have the comfort seats, alacantra cover means zero/minimal slip. Not cheap though, bought both rider and pillion parts to maintain the look. Quite hard but comfortable enough over a long day/succession of days. No more than three hours of straight blacktop as both tours so far this year were pretty well twisties straight off the ferry. Final one in a couple of weeks has a good 350+ miles of motorway on the first and last days which will be a good test.

As to closeness of the bars, I hear you on that one, like some of the other differences it's a matter of alclimatisation over the first month or two.

Having a TVL my suspension is different to yours. Not massively firm I'll grant you but for my use it works well. Having said that coming off a 12 year old Japanese bike still on std kit it's no surprise that the Turismo was a step up in this department.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I think I'm going to stay away from alcantara seats on the TV, i just need to either shave some padding out of the rear of the seat, or plump up the front. Could just be the pants I was wearing, too. Have to perform more tests before I decide. Also could be how I sit on the bike, I ride with the ball of my foot on the peg, not the arch of my foot like what is intended. May need to lower the pegs a tad in order to do that. Bars aren't a deal breaker, I was starting to get used to it towards the end of the ride. Still a comfortable reach thanks to the width.

But yes, it's mostly just getting used to the bike. Not going to rush into any modifications just yet.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Fwiw I'm 6'1" 185lbs, run the screen in the lowest position and get clean air on my helmet. It is nowhere near a barn door/silent. It gets louder with the screen up for me.

I run the rear preload around midway on the indicator. When I first got the bike I was running it with a lot less. Had Dave Moss set it up, he back off front preload and increased rear. I don't find it unstable or weird in turns at 30mph. It is a fairly quick handling bike though, especially with the short wheelbase and high CG.

I put QD pipes on it (baffles in). I find it sounds better and the engine seems to rev a bit quicker. The engine also takes a few thousand miles to break in.

Also don't add more than the min level of coolant - it'll puke it out when you stop, and then you can get air in the system. The bike tends to run towards the hot side. It is ok when you're going, but long stoplights in high temps (I'm in SoCal) make the bike rather unhappy.

Be happy your rear brake functions. Mine is MIA. I bled it early on but it ended up going soft quickly. I just use the front which I find pretty well sorted. I'll address the rear at some point.

I run the tires at 33-34 psi. I think 28/30 might be part of your handling issue.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts