MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out on a 250+ backroads ride with a friend this past Sunday-when we gassed-up we both zero'd the tripometer. At one point I asked him how many miles we had logged- he was @ 110, I was @ 117-I know the dashboard software is horrible on my 2010 1090RR, but this is nuts.

TIA

Marc

·
Registered
328 Posts
That's only a 5% difference in readings - pretty good if you ask me given the many variables in speedos.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Depends on how reliable his odometer is as well. Stock OEM tires, tire wear. Best to take a GPS with you and run another 100kms, then check against it for distance.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mates-
We are riding on the same size tires front/back, pressure was checked before ride, I have Dunlops, he may have Metzlers.....
Speaking of tires, what do you guys like? It's time for a replacement.

M

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tires are good till the end of the season, rear more worn than the front (of course) -good call!!

·
Administrator
18,816 Posts
Normal acceptable variation in odometer/speedometer readings is up to 10%. Most manufacturers shoot for 5 to 7%.

Almost always optimistic (don't want to be blamed for speeding tickets!). Tire wear, brand, air pressure....lots of variables that have to be dealt with. There are speedo correction devices available if you want to be precise...or use the GPS.

My Old Toyota Tacoma has oversize wheels....it is almost exactly 11% pessimistic.....I have to do the mental math lest I get a performance award....

Interestingly, my Brutale has the most accurate speedometer of any bike I have ever owned.....but no 2 will be exactly alike.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I know my 2012 1090RR over reads distance by about 5%.
My 910R says 140km round trip to work and back, the 1090 reads closer to 145km for the same journey....

·
Administrator
18,816 Posts
Usually the error percentage stays pretty constant....but, of course, the faster you go the bigger that percentage becomes as a number.
So 10% at 30 would only be 33...... But at 80 you would see 88.... Big difference!

At any rate, speedos, even in cars, are not perfectly accurate and vary from vehicle to vehicle.

·
Registered
521 Posts
yes you are correct and my quick maths was not ...I reckon my 2015 1090RR is 10% out all the way ...not a bad thing, might save the odd speeding ticket ;)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Delmar, I like the Q3s, but tire opinions and preferences are as numerous as they are for oil.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Delmar, I like the Q3s, but tire opinions and preferences are as numerous as they are for oil.
Oh, I believe the 1080RR's speedometer is measured by a sensor on the output shaft, so the rear tire and sprocket setup is what determines accuracy. Not sure if it's different on the ABS models.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Ah, but what is the pick up? If you don't have the ABS sensor disc then there is no reliable pick up point to read that would be standard across rims, rear sprocket, brake disc or hub. I think I have a sensor there too (attached to the rear caliper mount?) But I don't think it's for that. Maybe TC or some unknown function that MV didn't disclose, haha. Never checked the wiring diagram to find out, maybe later.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Reckler- I've heard good things about the Q3's-have pirellis on my Duc and had them on my Speed Triple, looking for a change, most tires for me are workable on the street.

M

·
Administrator
18,816 Posts
Ah, but what is the pick up? If you don't have the ABS sensor disc then there is no reliable pick up point to read that would be standard across rims, rear sprocket, brake disc or hub. I think I have a sensor there too (attached to the rear caliper mount?) But I don't think it's for that. Maybe TC or some unknown function that MV didn't disclose, haha. Never checked the wiring diagram to find out, maybe later.
ABS needs a high frequency signal, hence the sensor disc with multiple little slots. A speed sensor can trigger off just one spot per revolution, like a magnet on a bolt head.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts