MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the deal. I have been riding my f3 675 for about a month now, around 600 kilometers and the problems started springing up. At first, it was the gears not indicating the correct gear I am in. And now, when I rev it up and clutch it, the stupid bike stalls out..... I have read that the stalling is due to a throttle sensor problem and the gear displaying incorrectly is due to a gear sensor problem.

So I have talked to the dealer about this and this is what happened:

Gear display problem: try called in a rep from Mv Agusta headquarters china and the guy plugs in a computer to my f3 and runs a diagnostic on it. Idiot couldn't even read English and so basically it was me who did everything and everything checks out ok so he says there's no problem. The moron told me that Mv Agusta in Italy told him that the gear displaying incorrectly is because I am in too high of a gear for that speed and the bike wants me to shift down?!

Stalling problem: this time, the owner of the dealership told me that it was due to rider error and that I shouldn't pull in the clutch to coast to a stop light. Even of that's improper riding technique, a bike should never stall like that. I have owned a few other bikes and mopeds in my life and NONE of them have ever stalled like that on me.

So now, I am seriously pissed. I paid 54,000 usd for this bike for these idiots to tell me some crap like this?! Is there a contact for Mv in Italy that I can talk to as get this issue resolved? If not, I will never buy an Mv again and I will tell everyone I know that rides not to buy one either. This is absolutely ridiculous.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Mate, you will like to dial this number:
+390332254443
This is the MV headquarter hotline oer at Italy. Actually I have contacted this number few times but nobody picking up. Not sure why but you may give it a try.
And regarding the wrong gear indicator, just get it replace with a new improved gear indicator sensor and it will do. About the stalling, I believe you've not got the latest software update? Get the latest update and you will immediately feel the difference.
Good luck.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Where are you located?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mate, you will like to dial this number:
+390332254443
This is the MV headquarter hotline oer at Italy. Actually I have contacted this number few times but nobody picking up. Not sure why but you may give it a try.
And regarding the wrong gear indicator, just get it replace with a new improved gear indicator sensor and it will do. About the stalling, I believe you've not got the latest software update? Get the latest update and you will immediately feel the difference.
Good luck.
Thank you. I called them tonight and they informed me that they sent an email to the Chinese importer to change the gear sensor part for me. They also said that they would follow up with the importer about the stalling issue.

They said that they were on holiday this past month so maybe that's why there was no reply.

It just upsets me that the importer is such a piece of crap. They need to find people that are more responsible and will uphold the brand integrity in china. I paid triple the price to have an f3 here when I could have bought it back in the US for around 14k. For the price I paid, I expect top notch service!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Clutch in bike stalls

Wangtang, there are several threads dealing with the "stalling on clutch in" issue. Please read my thread, “Happy anniversary to me, NOT!!!!”
where I document my problems and their fixes.

The short answer is, your dealer needs to sync the throttles. Italy knows about this as they sent over a new set of throttle bodies with a new Throttle Position Sensor attached for my F3 675. But the bike still stalled. I had mentioned to the tech to check the sync as someone posted about that on this forum.

As for the gear indicator, that's a known issue also. No one needs to plug anything in anywhere. Just tell that dip stick dealer to order the dad gum part!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wangtang, there are several threads dealing with the "stalling on clutch in" issue. Please read my thread, “Happy anniversary to me, NOT!!!!”
where I document my problems and their fixes.

The short answer is, your dealer needs to sync the throttles. Italy knows about this as they sent over a new set of throttle bodies with a new Throttle Position Sensor attached for my F3 675. But the bike still stalled. I had mentioned to the tech to check the sync as someone posted about that on this forum.

As for the gear indicator, that's a known issue also. No one needs to plug anything in anywhere. Just tell that dip stick dealer to order the dad gum part!
Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear that your bike is running smoothly now! Any updates since they last serviced it?

I was on the phone with the importer for china this morning and they are shipping the part from Italy. They also told me the stalling issue is being worked on with a new mapping? Is this true?

Thanks you guys!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear that your bike is running smoothly now! Any updates since they last serviced it?

I was on the phone with the importer for china this morning and they are shipping the part from Italy. They also told me the stalling issue is being worked on with a new mapping? Is this true?

Thanks you guys!

The, "new map" answer is a catch all smoke screen to buy time. Every dealer gets it from every rep because that's the standard line from the factory. The scary part is that I think Italy actually believes it. :jsm:

I have had every map loaded and run on my bike. From the original as used during the February 2012 Press Launch to the latest released on February of 2014. None of them eliminated the major problems. (Factory = :loser:)
You CAN NOT fix a mechanical fault with a software update and that's a fact Jack! About time Italy woke-up and smelled the espresso!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These bikes have been out for 2 years now. The geniuses at MV still haven't found a way to fix these problems?!?!

·
Registered
126 Posts
These bikes have been out for 2 years now. The geniuses at MV still haven't found a way to fix these problems?!?!
MV largely have. It's local dealers that constantly compound issues with a lack of understanding. In the UK, the local importer has been taken out of the equation and MV have started dealing directly with dealers to try and sort this communication.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
MV largely have. It's local dealers that constantly compound issues with a lack of understanding. In the UK, the local importer has been taken out of the equation and MV have started dealing directly with dealers to try and sort this communication.
Shug, I disagree with your assessment. As I've stated before, MV has pushed the R&D out to the dealers. My Canadian dealer told me that this new ordering system and dealing directly with Italy was to have been in place two years ago. Lack of understanding does compound issues but I feel it's Italy that has the problem. If you've read my posts you'll know that it has taken two years to get approval for my dealer to spend the time that was needed to diagnose and then correct the problems on my bike.
As to communications I ask you; Where are the Technical Service Bulletins highlighting the known issues and the approval for their fixes? If, as you say, MV is trying to sort out the communications then every dealer should already have a stack of TSB's for sprag clutches, gear indicator sensors, kick stand switches, throttle sync, etcetera, etcetera. If MV did this we'd have a lot fewer people posting; "I have problem XYZ and my dealer can't figure it out. Anyone here have the same problem? What was the fix?"

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
The thing that gets me and I am sure this is a matter for the whole of the motor industry? MV are only proactive about things that they know could come back and bite them in the arse, like the issue with the swing arm bolt/pin, they found out a batch was faulty, could result in failure/crash/death and so they issue letters out to owners/dealers to call in and get it fixed immediately.

Less critical things like sprag clutches/gear sensors/stand sensors, they know their faulty/poor design but because they will only cause you an inconvenience (and it's assumed because you have an Italian bike you also have roadside recovery) they will only replace them on failure. This is fine but what if the sprag clutch on mine decides to give up the ghost next year after the warranty has expired, it's a known issue for which a remedy has been produced (?) but because I was lucky or unlucky enough for it not to go on me within the warranty I've got to pay for it and it's no small job to replace apparently.

This now worries me that I have an expensive ticking time bomb that perhaps I should offload and go back to a reliable Japanese bike? Not really a good way to install confidence into people buying into MV or buying another one is it?

Having said all that though it's all immaterial because as soon as I get on mine and ride up the road all those things are forgotten and I remember what made me want to buy it in the first place :laughing: I think for many people owning an Italian bike will be a love/hate relationship, which as long as the loves outweigh the hates they will just put up with it?

If they want to do right by their customers they should at least extend the warranty on items they know have a history of failing, Toyota did this with their 1zz series engine they put in the MR2 Roadster/Spyder when it was discovered it suffered from oil control ring failure, in the UK they extended the warranty on the engine to 7yrs :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Shug, I disagree with your assessment. As I've stated before, MV has pushed the R&D out to the dealers. My Canadian dealer told me that this new ordering system and dealing directly with Italy was to have been in place two years ago. Lack of understanding does compound issues but I feel it's Italy that has the problem. If you've read my posts you'll know that it has taken two years to get approval for my dealer to spend the time that was needed to diagnose and then correct the problems on my bike.
As to communications I ask you; Where are the Technical Service Bulletins highlighting the known issues and the approval for their fixes? If, as you say, MV is trying to sort out the communications then every dealer should already have a stack of TSB's for sprag clutches, gear indicator sensors, kick stand switches, throttle sync, etcetera, etcetera. If MV did this we'd have a lot fewer people posting; "I have problem XYZ and my dealer can't figure it out. Anyone here have the same problem? What was the fix?"
I have followed your issues with interest and yes, I agree in your case there is a greater issue WRT the factory not grasping the nettle.

However, what I do hear a lot of (in the UK) is people having the same issues over and over that have been addressed by the factory (sprag clutches, remaps etc) and some dealers not having that info, or being reluctant to do anything. And if there are some 'good' dealers who know instantly how to sort the common issues, there must be communication from the factory.

So there's a couple of tiers here - there are common glitches that keep cropping up, which have fixes, but don't always get applied due to local issues. And then there are the larger (although less common) issues with some bikes that require more input - which don't always get the instant response you'd hope from a top level.

The compound effect of this is perhaps a view that the bikes aren't as good as they are - although lets be realistic, it's a tiny Italian factory, so expecting a Honda just isn't wise. I'd love if we could have the passion and flare of an MV with the mass-produced reliability of a Honda, but at the moment, I'm afraid it doesn't exist.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
My two pence worth,
We in the UK are very lucky, we have a core of really good dealers, and a few not so good ones. If you deal with the right guys you normally get a good response, they are regular visitors to the factory and are on first name terms with the team out there. Being close in geographic terms and in a close time zone helps a bunch, some owners just can never get that service no matter how hard they try due to these issues.

Despite all this, the situation with my bike is still unresolved, the bike has been inspected, a warranty claim agreed and parts identified, six weeks later I still don't ave my bike back. MV's spares system is overwhelmed with authorised claims and old mother Huburds cupboard is bare, in my case awaiting a wiring loom. So not a a happy owner.

One point Ackers mentioned was warranty claims outwith the two year time cycle, one thing I will say is MV do look after owners well in this respect, and far better than some Japanese marques, like Suzuki.

I believe we sad dedicated MV owners know all this, and despite the lure of German efficiancy and the high Honda levels of reliability we still are drawn to the little fire engines from Gallarate and always will be.

jimboF4

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
One point Ackers mentioned was warranty claims outwith the two year time cycle, one thing I will say is MV do look after owners well in this respect, and far better than some Japanese marques, like Suzuki.

jimboF4

That's good to know, it's a similar attitude that kept me a Kawasaki owner for 20yrs :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts