MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm pretty sure I saw this in a thread some time ago, but couldn't find it searching. After adjusting my throttle I noticed loud of carbon like soot on the mat my kickstand sits on. Filtering it up, this is what I see.

1411698565438.jpg
1411698589604.jpg
1411698612976.jpg

Is the most likely culprit the cover? I can't imagine it would be pressuring out the front corner of the case. The other side of the engine is clean (relatively) and dry.

I've never had the cover off, but can't see what else it may be. Has anyone had and solved a similar issue?

·
Registered
14,505 Posts
David;
looks like 2 leaks....

left front corner of the valve cover (where mine leaks)

and it looks like the shift shaft seal.....usually leaks there are the pan gasket but the oil is too high up

good luck!

·
Administrator
19,860 Posts
Bike leans to left on the stand....any oil residue is heading to that side.

Clean it all up, get some odorless foot powder aerosol spray and coat the suspected areas, start the engine and look for dark spots. There's your leak....

By the way, dye penetrate crack detection developer (Fault Finder is a good affordable brand) works really well and cleans up easily afterward. You only need to buy the developer, not the dye or cleaner (3 sperate cans). Check with your local welding supply house.

·
Super Moderator
22,357 Posts
...or you local Nuclear Power Plant, Ed.:smoking:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
The front one is the little MV cover. Known issue with the bit where the upper and lower crankcases are not quite in alignment. Silicone gasket seal fixes it.
The lower one is harder to diagnose. Could be chain lube, shifter shaft oil seal, sprocket shaft seal or the sump gasket. My money is on it being chain lube...

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the input. The spray foot powder is a novel idea. Maybe I have some baby powder left over :p I'll give it a good cleaning and start from scratch.

On the other hand, adjusting the throttle made wheelie control much more manageable. Far better control and the "choke" actually does its job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts