MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Sourcing any info about what type of oil, voulme etc for my 57' 175 telescopic front forks.

Any help will be great.

thanks

·
Administrator
19,841 Posts
I do not know the oil volume or level spec, but a lot of bikes from this vintage used Automatic Transmission Fluid, or just motor oil.
I would guess 30 weight would be a starting point, change to lighter or heavier if the fork action is poor.

Someone in the classic community will know the answers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have just put Citroen LHM Hydraulic fluid in mine. Partly on I have some left over in my cupboard, and partly as Citroen say you can use ATF in their hydraulic systems in an emergency. Put 90ml in each leg. Will report back after my trip round the hills of Northern Portugal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Slightly worrying that you haven’t reported back after your trip or is it still ongoing? :)
I have tried 20 weight in my ‘56 CSTL and can’t really see if it has changed much. My question on the same topic was related to the rear shock fluid. I seem to have a lot of rebound damping but very little compression damping. All help gratefully received.
J

·
Administrator
19,841 Posts
I seem to have a lot of rebound damping but very little compression damping.
I believe what you are experiencing (lack of compression damping) is just normal shock absorber action from that era. Very rudimentary compared to more modern suspension...the shocks primary intent was to control the spring so it didn't act like a pogo stick..... rebound alone does the trick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts