MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had oil regurgitate from a bike in this particular location, to the side of the kickstand (area in blue). I didn't think to take a picture at the time, but the blue area is exactly where the outline of oil was. Should I be worried? And why could I not find any leak? I took it for an 8 mile ride (arguably a longer rider than my last 5...still a little nervous after last summer, bear with me), left it in a parking lot for 10 mins, came out, notice about 400ml (!) of oil in a nice round patch jut off to the side of the bike. The oil wasn't there before, where the hell would it come from.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
definitely oil - just short of tasting it, I did give it a whiff.
the only other explanation would have been someone parking another bike very close to mine in that 10 minute space, just to dump some oil, presumably. i would have noticed the oil on the way in, as I would have dismounted in the pool.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no - that was absolutely the first place I checked. unless someone, honestly, really, for whatever ridiculous incentive, dumped a half liter of oil on the lot next to the bike. freaking mystery.

·
Registered
975 Posts
maybe someone parked an early triumph next to you. check sump/pan gasket near sidestand as they can distort and leak, mine did and loosening pan bolts and realigning gasket fixed it. Don`t ever sit on an MV with the stand down (as in putting your body weight on the stand) they cant handle it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
maybe someone parked an early triumph next to you. check sump/pan gasket near sidestand as they can distort and leak, mine did and loosening pan bolts and realigning gasket fixed it. Don`t ever sit on an MV with the stand down (as in putting your body weight on the stand) they cant handle it.
Well already broke that rule about 100 times, :jsm:

·
Registered
975 Posts
"they cant handle it", might be a bit harsh but the stand mounts to the cast aluminium(aluminum if you`re so inclined) sump and puts side load on same. Cast aluminium doesn`t like that very much. The stand is really only there to support the bike. That`s just my opinion.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi. Pic won't show up for me at the moment. But from the area you describe, check the oil pressure sensor. They break internally and oil runs out the middle of the sensor.

It's the forward most sensor on that side of the engine.

If it is that. There is an alternate part, a whole $8. It's close enough to the exact same thing. Same thread, depth, elec connector, only difference is it measures a slightly different pressure range. Compared to the price that mv want for the same thing. and it works perfectly.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Administrator
20,376 Posts
400 ml of oil would be a huge puddle (a little oil makes a big mess), and you should have seen a noticeable drop in your oil level in the sight glass.
Clean everything thoroughly with brake cleaner and then use a non-scented dry foot powder spray (original desenex works well) to coat the areas of the engine where oil may have come from. The oil leak will quickly show as a brown stain in the white powder.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ed - good advice, will get to it. Interestingly enough, there has been no staining in my garage, which is mildly reassuring (except for about another half liter of coolant spraying everywhere fault of mine). And maybe 400 ml was an overestimate - the puddle was quite large, though, at about 1.25m x .75m oval.

Although I have to say I really like the Triumph hypothesis.

·
Registered
975 Posts
that`s a big pool of oil, and yes a little hot oil makes a big mess but that is more than even a Triumph would probably lose. A Norton perhaps. The powder idea sounds like the go and what`s left over will work in your boots.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
My £ is on the sump gasket has given up the ghost..

joe
The sump gasket does not really keep pissing out oil if the bike's not running, as far as I have seen at least.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
no - that was absolutely the first place I checked. unless someone, honestly, really, for whatever ridiculous incentive, dumped a half liter of oil on the lot next to the bike. freaking mystery.

I did that to my Fazer riding mate once just to piss him off lol...

He smirked when my 312 wet itself in Wales so revenge was sweet.

Donsy, That's interesting on the not leaking when stopped. Other theory water pump oil seal and then leaking from the little vent hole between the oil and water seal ? I guess unlikely given the volume of oil lost....

joe

·
Registered
975 Posts
My gasket was leaking when the bike was on the sidestand ,hot thin oil and a deformed gasket possibly made a bit worse by the weight of the bike pushing indirectly on the sump

1 - 16 of 16 Posts