MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there folks, what type and spec oil do you use ? ive seen in the manual they say to use 10w 60 ? fully sinthetic, but doesnt this mess the clutch up on the plates ? dont know what the bike came with and the clutch is sometimes grabby ?

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Stickybunn said:
hi there folks, what type and spec oil do you use ? ive seen in the manual they say to use 10w 60 ? fully sinthetic, but doesnt this mess the clutch up on the plates ? dont know what the bike came with and the clutch is sometimes grabby ?
MV say the Agip 10-60 was designed for the bike, if 10-60 is not available use 20-50, I was using Motul 300V, BUT I read an oil test a while back were although the Motul came out very good for the engine bit of its job, it came out just about last for gearbox wear, so i'm changing to AMSOIL MCV which oddly enough came out top :)

·
Registered
968 Posts
mikef4uk said:
MV say the Agip 10-60 was designed for the bike, if 10-60 is not available use 20-50, I was using Motul 300V, BUT I read an oil test a while back were although the Motul came out very good for the engine bit of its job, it came out just about last for gearbox wear, so i'm changing to AMSOIL MCV which oddly enough came out top :)
Oil test... commissioned or run directly by Amsoil? :)

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
rents said:
Oil test... commissioned or run directly by Amsoil? :)
Yeah! I did wonder about that I must admit................

·
Administrator
19,860 Posts
You can order the AGIP 10-60 4T oil specified by MV directly from AGIP distributor in PA. Must order a case of 12 liters. It ends up costing about $10~11 per liter when you include shipping.

Main thing about the oil you buy for motorcycles, regardless of brand of bike, weight of oil, or synthetic, etc is that it have the JASO classification MA for wet clutches. Unless you have a dry clutch Ducati or similar...then the "energy conserving" stuff will be OK. But you should always use motorcycle specific oils that have aditives to help them live in transmissions as well as the engine. Those transmission gears just tear the oil to pieces (literally). So never put that good old Castrol GTX in your bike.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's not the lubricity of the oil base that causes wet clutch problems, but is the additive package. Energy Conserving oils have an additive package that features "friction modifiers" to allow for thinner oils yet provide increased protection. These friction modifiers are what damages the fibers on wet clutches.

·
Registered
917 Posts
BKYMOTO said:
It's not the lubricity of the oil base that causes wet clutch problems, but is the additive package. Energy Conserving oils have an additive package that features "friction modifiers" to allow for thinner oils yet provide increased protection. These friction modifiers are what damages the fibers on wet clutches.
Lubricity? Is that really a word???:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts