MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that the camshafts are hollow and have oil passage holes in them. What is the path of oil flow? I'm not sure I understand the need for those holes if the oil isn't exiting at the lobes like some internally lubricated camshafts.

I tried different searches on google but don't completely understand the holes in the 3 cyl platform for oil in the cams. I know some of you here know the path and what the advantages are!!!

·
Administrator
19,837 Posts
The oil feed is up through one cam bearing journal and feeds the other journals through the camshaft. Lobes are splash lubricated by the oil coming from the journals and collecting in area where the valves sit.

Reactions: airjawed

·
Registered
14,500 Posts
?

I noticed that the camshafts are hollow and have oil passage holes in them. What is the path of oil flow? I'm not sure I understand the need for those holes if the oil isn't exiting at the lobes like some internally lubricated camshafts.

I tried different searches on google but don't completely understand the holes in the 3 cyl platform for oil in the cams. I know some of you here know the path and what the advantages are!!!
airjawed;
There are only 2 motors that oil through the cams that I know of.......
4 valve Ducatis that provide 1-2 PSI at 5,000RPM with cold 20W50 RedLine and lose chrome off the lifters......
Could it be the 2mm oil line??? whose supply is divided at the cam box?????
Yes, I measured the pressure.......the Dagos didn't and had 17 different lifter designs.....which didn't work very well

Look at the MV Criples head problems......
They tried going cheap and it bit them......the reason you gun drill oil passages is to leave a pressurized reserve at high RPM and to feed the bearings equally
Like the small sprag clutch coupled to a BS battery......doesn't work very well does it? They went cheap.....
As with the fuel line routing, with a single line, they're deadheading against the injectors allowing the fuel to heat up.....
1st Gen MVs have 2 fuel lines stabilizing fuel temperature, like all other vehicles except earlier BMW bikes

>:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts