MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if there is anything i should look out for when changing my oil pan gasket. I assume that all i need to do is remove the exhaust pipes and drain the oil. Then just unscrew the 10 or so bolts holding the pan on. Is there anything else i should know about before i do this???

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Matty said:
just wondering if there is anything i should look out for when changing my oil pan gasket.
yeah...look out for the oil! :nerd: sorry, couldn't resist. but what he said in terms of pics. i'm curious as well.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well after about 2 hrs of tinkering i was able to get the oil pan off. Not too bad of a deal. Was a little confused by a sensor wire that runs through the center of the pan but was luckily able to find a quick disconnect under the tank. The gasket was def a little FUBAR and hopefully this solves the prob. Alot Cleaner inside there than i thought. Here are a few pics. Gotta put her back together tomorrow. There looks like to be an oil filter inide the oil pan itself too. Probably standard but ive never been inside an oil pan before :violin:

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
The 'filter' inside is a 'strainer' Matty, at least that's what we call them in the UK. Good photos BTW. :)

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well she is back together...took her for a quick rip around the block and no leakin so far....keeping the fingers crossed.......note to self for the next time i have to dig that deep.
1. Header bolts are a bitch if you dont move the radiator
2. dont forget to put on the heat shield on BEFORE you bolt back on the exhaust pipes.
3. Make sure you look before you disconnect the wire coming out of the oil pan. You will have to take the Tank off to find out where it goes when you put it back together.
4. having a lift would make this soooo much easier than just crawling around the floor :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Matty said:
note to self for the next time i have to dig that deep.
1. Header bolts are a bitch if you dont move the radiator
2. dont forget to put on the heat shield on BEFORE you bolt back on the exhaust pipes.
3. Make sure you look before you disconnect the wire coming out of the oil pan. You will have to take the Tank off to find out where it goes when you put it back together.
4. having a lift would make this soooo much easier than just crawling around the floor :)
There is no substitute for real experience. Of course by the time you need to break it down again you will have long forgotten these pointers!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Matt, hopefully you won't have to break it down again for the same problem.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
drmasis said:
Matt, hopefully you won't have to break it down again for the same problem.
so far so good.....did a few speed runs and put about 30 miles on the bike......no leaking so far. Now that i know what to expect that same job would probably take me 2 hrs or so.

it was def good experience though :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts