MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 990R 23000km, 1.3 yrs into warrantee.
Have a look at these pics of my oil leaks the top one near the tank is new the lower one quite old. I'm waiting to hear from shop that they have the gaskets needed ?
Can anyone explain the top one, the oil is very blue and sticky. The engine oil is red. HMMM somethings not right with this picture.
Will show this one to shop on Monday.
Yoikes.:violin:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
Hi Jon, the bottom one is quite common, and can be easily repaired using some auto from a gasket together with the original seal.
The top is not a leak, rather excess air filter oil working it's way downwards, just wipe it, no problem with that one.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Don, glad the blue stuff isn't a problem.
As for the bottom leak the shop said they will have to take all the bits above it apart to get down to it. So quite a time consuming job. Glad I'm not paying. Just hope they don't keep the bike too long.

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
Thanks Don, glad the blue stuff isn't a problem.
As for the bottom leak the shop said they will have to take all the bits above it apart to get down to it. So quite a time consuming job. Glad I'm not paying. Just hope they don't keep the bike too long.
"Dons"
I think they have it wrong, the lower leaks looks like it's from the "F4" marked engine cover, very common, 15min repair job.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The oil is coming from where my finger is pointing, right in the corner, you can see a row of bolts that hold the 2 engine pieces together. I gather to undo those bolts to open up the two engine parts they need to take all the stuff off above them.
I tested where the oil was coming from by cleaning & watching carefully fir the first sign of liquid. It takes a hard engine workout to get it to leak too.

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
Okay, if you're sure it's from the casing, then it's a big one, but very rare, I've not seen this on the forum for quite some time, if ever in my time.
Try torqueing those engine bolts up again, at least that's what I would do, and re-sealing the F4 cover just in case, and because it's piss easy to do. Good luck mate, hope you get sorted out okay.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers Don, we tried tightining all those things. The workshop thought is was from there originally too.
After they had a go it seemed all good when I took it out for a normal commute ride, but when I went for a hard revving hill ride it started to seep out again. This time I could track its progress and see exactly where it started right in the inside corner. Actually if you poke around in that little recess you can feel and see black rubber sealant, not sure what that means but it's where the leak starts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts