MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, just got my first mv brutale and ive just discovered oil leaking from the head after i ride. The bike has practicallt sat for a year :/

How do i fix this? Or is this a shop job? I'm a uni student so I'd like to do it myself to save money.

·
Super Moderator
22,332 Posts
Hey, Fish...welcome to the madhouse!

You use the phrase UNI so I am going to assume you are not in the US. Where on this Blue Marble do you reside?

If you go here: http://www.teamdouble3racing.com/manuals.php you can download your bike's manual for free thanks to the efforts of Donsy and other members of this forum.

What you need to do is not hard. These bikes are easy to work on. Read the manual a bit, look at the bike to see what you need to do, and go about it methodically.

We will help along the way. There are thindgs to look at as you go that will make your bike better.

Think well-nuts, rear hub, chain adjustment to name a few.

·
Registered
14,500 Posts
?

Chuck;
He's a student.....

Consult the manual

Simple fix, remove the valve cover ....clean all mating surfaces and use a very thin coat

of silicone form a gasket on all surfaces including the cover bolts and O- rings

While sealing things ...do the F4 cover too

Check the O-rings on the cylinder head drain tube too

:popcorn:

·
Super Moderator
22,332 Posts
I realize he is a student Noel...but WHERE?

Typically, US students say I'm in school or I'm in college...not I'm a UNI student....

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys,

I'm studying in Sydney, Australia. Doing civil eng and accounting :).

Thanks for the advice guys! I cleaned and reinstalled the gasket with permatex rtv for now, i'll definitely order a new gasket soon, i was just a bit impatient.

Anyway, I go start the bike, and pretty soon as the bike warms up there's a tonne of smoke coming from the front. I turned it off, and the smoke disappeared quickly. I then start the bike again and pretty soon the smoke is back but not as thick. I've taken a youtube video (linked). Is this a serious issue? or is it just burning stuff off the front headers? When I was cleaning the valve cover surfaces, oil did get flung off, so could it just be the oil burning off? Or is this something electrical? I'm afraid I'll burn the whole complex down lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M9h_JCxSHI

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, so I decided to run the bike longer to see if all the smoke would go away (now with a fire extinguisher at hand). Turns out it was the oil burning off the pipes, it eventually stopped smoking. Looking at the valve cover, it looks like nothing is leaking (so far), i've placed some cardboard underneath to see if there any other leaks over night. I'll also fit the Mitch hub tomorrow, and then i'll take it for a short ride to ensure there are no more leaks.

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
You make me worry about the future of this Country when UNI students post on the internet before actually looking to see where the smoke is coming from brother.
It's unlikely that it will leak while not running, since the oil runs to the sump when the bikes not turned on. When you go for a ride tomorrow, keep an keen eye out for oil vapours and smoke buddy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol, I facepalmed myself when I realised what it was. Contemplated deleting that post but decided to leave it up to remind myself how dumb I was.

Definitely will, hopefully all is okay :)

·
Vendor
5,335 Posts
Take it easy on him guys.He is new to the brand and learning.He is also a good bloke because he bought one of my hubs lol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
K so valve cover is no longer leaking, good. But now the actual head gasket is leaking as well. This is a considerably more involved process to fix :/ uni has ramped up and i don't think i have the time to deal with this. I may just throw in the towel and take it to a mechanic.

·
Registered
14,500 Posts
?

I kind of doubt your headgasket is leaking........

my right rear cylinder stud has been broken a long time.......and no leak, at 31,000+mi

the 8 valve cover bolts will leak

the oil return tube will leak

the F4 cover will leak

the oil pan gasket will leak next to the side stand

:popcorn:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wish you were right, however, it's definitely the head gasket. There's oil directly on the underneath of each exhaust pipe immediately facing the head gasket, it's being squirted out as I ride. Everything else is dry. Fingers crossed the shop doesn't bankrupt me.

·
Vendor
5,335 Posts
Just double check mate because there are relief holes from the spark plug wells to the area of the headers and excess oil could be dribbling out there.Just thinking.:)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts