MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went for a ride this morning and noticed a periodic puff of blue smoke in my mirrors. (Who said you can't see anything in them!) I stopped riding and revved the bike by the sid eof the road and saw nothing. As soon as I was riding again I could clearly see blue smoke billowing out behind me every four or five seconds.

Anyway, I got home and took the fairings off and quickly spotted that the underside of the oil filter was wet with oil, and stains on the header pipes when it had been dripping, presumably only under load, which is why it didn't do it when I was stopped.

This is a 2000 model F4 750. Are there any known problems with oil filters on this model? I see that there's something in the workshop manual about cleaning up the area where it threads in. I have no idea if this was done when it had it's 600 mile service, (before I owned it.)

Anyone else had this problem?

Si

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I have herd of oil filters cracking.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I had filter unscrew itself on my 2000F4. Think I received recall notice from 3X on this.
First mod for filter was a different sealing washer ,a new filter now comes complete with retaining clip .

·
Registered
503 Posts
Strange...I've never had a filter seal leak until the past week. I did an oil and filter change on my Moto Guzzi and the filter leaked. I tightened it but it still weeped. Yesterday I removed the filter and inspected; couldn't see anything unusual so I replaced it. No leak now. Must be a flaw in the seal.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
2000 model F4's had about 4 "updates" to the filter and housing, first off they changed the seal from square to round (ithink) then they had to remove the sharp edges from the "O" ring area seating, then another two filters, first the 750 one with clamp, then the 1000 with clamp, I would just change the filter and follow the supplied instructions :)

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Could be just a manufacturing defect. I've seen other oil filters weeping oil between where the housing join together (if that makes any sense).

TheCatWhisperer said:
I went for a ride this morning and noticed a periodic puff of blue smoke in my mirrors. (Who said you can't see anything in them!) I stopped riding and revved the bike by the sid eof the road and saw nothing. As soon as I was riding again I could clearly see blue smoke billowing out behind me every four or five seconds.

Anyway, I got home and took the fairings off and quickly spotted that the underside of the oil filter was wet with oil, and stains on the header pipes when it had been dripping, presumably only under load, which is why it didn't do it when I was stopped.

This is a 2000 model F4 750. Are there any known problems with oil filters on this model? I see that there's something in the workshop manual about cleaning up the area where it threads in. I have no idea if this was done when it had it's 600 mile service, (before I owned it.)

Anyone else had this problem?

Si

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
There was a deburring procedure on the filter threads for the early bikes. Are you the original owner? It may be worth it to carry out the procedure regardless, let us know if you need it.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, I'm not the original owner. I've seen mention of the deburring in the workshop manual. It needs a service anyhow, so I'll get it looked at when I do that.

Si

·
Registered
144 Posts
That happened to me shortly after I had my filter replaced, I just got another filter and haven't had a problem since. Made a mess on my exhaust headers, belly pan and all over my swing arm. I didn't know I had that problem for a while, I think I had rode about 30 miles before I came to a stop and noticed the smoke. Those poor cages that were behind me....

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got around to changing the filter today. I bought a filter tool from Forza Italia at Silverstone for £15, (black pressed sheet metal, not as substantial as the eMoto one, but it's only for a filter..) but it wouldn't fit! It would fit on the new filter ok, so it's the right size, but I couldn't get it passed my headers and onto the old one.

So, I just used the hammer and screwdriver method to get the old one off and it came off *very* easily. I think it had worked loose, though there was a circlip in place...

Anyway, I got the new filter on ok, re-filled with oil and up and running in about half an hour. There's no oil leak now, though it did take a while to burn off all the excess I managed to spill on my headers when removing the filter!

Si

1 - 11 of 11 Posts