MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike is a 2012 1090RR with about 22500km, I've had it since 18000ish.

In that time I have lubed the chain once, lets say at about 19000.

I'm still getting "oil" on the rear tyre like there is too much lube on the chain. Also on the swing arm just in front of the sprocket.

Not a lot of oil, but enough that when traveling on a the freeway/motorway for 400km I felt the need to wipe it off before I did any serious corner work. I'd say this isn't a new or getting worse issue just that normally I get to tip it into a few corners and that cleans most of it off.

Thoughts ?

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Hi Rich.
That doesn't sound right mate. You should be oiling your chain almost every 500km's, depending on what you're using and what weather you're riding in.
But in saying that, there's no way could you still have lube coming from your chain after 3000km's. I think a seal in the front sprocket might be gone.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Donsy, that was my thought too, but if it is it's only weeping a little as there is never any oil on the garage floor...

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Hhhmm, I'm sort of thinking that if it's the countershaft seal leaking, then it might only leak when the bikes is moving, because any other time it sits above the oil level Rich.
I'm just guessing here, but I think it's well worth pulling the clutch slave cylinder and front sprocket cover for a look.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well bugger me with a fish fork, but less than 12 months later and the bloody seal is leaking again. It was replaced under warranty at 24000km and now at 44000km I have that self lubing chain again. At least the clutch slave isn't leaking as I replaced that with an STM one after the 3rd slave started leaking.

Has anyone else suffered from the countershaft seal leaking ?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Reopening this thread as I think that Sharon's 910s is suffering from the same problem! It's great having a self lubing chain, but no so good with gunk being thrown onto the rear wheel, and certainly not when it gets onto the rear tyre.
If the problem lies with the countershaft seal, is that a job I could realistically do myself or is it better to book it into the bike shop?
How much work is needed to change the seal? And what sort of cost should I expect?
How did you sort the problem the second time Richard?
I'd really appreciate any help guys. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got the mechanics to do it when I had a service done. Basically Remove front sprocket (and what ever else is necessary to do that), dig out old seal, carefully put new one in. No more leaks yet, but I suspect like the radiator this seal will be a service item every 20-30000km...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts