MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago I noticed a drop of oil under my B3. It was dripping from the bottom of the oil pan right where the oil drain plug is. I figured maybe the dealer hadn't tightened the plug enough.

As I looked closer I noticed the oil was actually coming from above the oil pan and flowing down the side of the pan. It seemed to be coming from an area around the chain guard just above the kick stand.

At first I thought it was just chain grease that had built up and as the engine warmed it ran down the side of the engine. BUT, my chain is pretty dry and I use a spray that is for chains (Motul). The drops have the consistency and feel of motor oil, not chain grease.

Anyone notice the same? Attached are 2 photos. They are both taken from the kick stand side of the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
742 Posts
Is your sprocket still tightened properly? Some bikes will leak when the front sprocket comes lose. The oil seal behind the sprocket starts to leak. Don't know if it's the same with an MV.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Raider, was it an easy fix for the dealer?

Gonzo, I assume you could see your leak coming from the head or did it look like mine? Reason I ask, my cylinder head was one of many pulled before the bike was sold. Had something to do with replacing the valve springs.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thanks guys. Raider, was it an easy fix for the dealer?

Gonzo, I assume you could see your leak coming from the head or did it look like mine? Reason I ask, my cylinder head was one of many pulled before the bike was sold. Had something to do with replacing the valve springs.
It looked similar except mine was coming down the right side more. They replaced the cylinder head and some other stuff. I'd have to look at the repair statement to see what else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My bike has just popped the oil seal behind the main chain sprocket. She has 2700 km on the clock. Gone in for warranty repair. I cannot believe how crap it is to be riding my BMW K1200GT again. It feels like I'm sitting in a Panzer with a hole for my legs to go through so I can push.

·
Registered
742 Posts
My bike has just popped the oil seal behind the main chain sprocket. She has 2700 km on the clock. Gone in for warranty repair. I cannot believe how crap it is to be riding my BMW K1200GT again. It feels like I'm sitting in a Panzer with a hole for my legs to go through so I can push.
No danger? My previous bike had a major leak this way. Allmost crashed it big time.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Dammit, mine is leaking slightly from the engine valve cover seal at front left portion where the cam chain runs.

Looks like the seal swelled slightly?

Happened shortly after changing to Motul 300v. Not quite sure why though, don't think the oil itself would do that?

·
Administrator
19,553 Posts
Common spot for an oil leak. That's where the hot oil pools when the bike is leaning on the side stand.....if the valve cover was removed to inspect valve clearance and the gasket not sealed well (or replaced) then that is why. You may also simply need to retorque the valve cover bolts.

Clean it off and see if it comes back. I wouldn't worry with it if it is very slight and only needs cleaning up every once in a while.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Oil leaking? :jsm: That's a good thing - means there's oil in it. :smoking: At least that's what my Porsche mechanic told me 25 years ago. :wtf:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts