MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Just noticed oil in the belly pan, are MV's noted for doing this as just purchased
What model year? As I've posted previously, my '09 has made three or four separate trips to the dealer for leak repairs around the transmission/shifter, the water pump, oil cooler, and now the clutch slave cylinder. I do not believe the leaks are because of inherent flaws; rather, that the previous owner did not regularly run the bike and some of the seals dried out.

·
Registered
14,304 Posts
leaky bitch?

ULSTERTOM;
99% sure its the pan bolts near the side stand...

just retorque them
check;
the heat exchanger center bolt
the drain plug
and look at the left front of the motor.....the valve cover weeps if not sealed

clean the motor.....
after a few 100 mi spray powder deodorant or foot powder on the motor......the leak will instantly show its location
:drummer:

if you are a larger person, don't spend a lot of time sitting on the bike on the stand

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have tightened sump bolts and its a big leak, only drove 1 mile and i would say a cap full of oil has been lost.If its on the gear shift side what are all the possibilties. Thanks for all comments.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Wow, well I would suggest you take the fairings of and run the bike, if it's leaking this bad you should be able to see where it's coming from.
+1

Just to let you know up front, I'm just an IT security guy and not mechanically minded enough to work on these high-end F4s beyond oil changes, chain adjustments, etc. (simple stuff). Since these bikes fall into the exotic category, I added a warranty when I bought mine (but that's a discussion for another thread).

On to your leak...

It sounds like you're experiencing the same symptoms I did when mine was leaking around the water pump and transmission cover/shifter shaft. I attached a photo of the work order showing the parts replaced. They also replaced a different water pump oil seal during a separate visit (part number 8000A6708).

With that, I defer to Donsy and theknurl; their knowledge and experience far eclipses mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Is it definitely engine oil? There are a couple of other things it could be around that area:

1) Clutch fluid leaking past the seal in the slave cylinder and into the sprocket cover.

2) Chain lube collects on the inside of the sprocket cover and then runs down when the bike is hot and running.

What is the colour and consistency of the leaked oil?

Si

1 - 13 of 13 Posts