MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I popped in to my dealer yesterday and he has two new Brutale's side by side, one had a puddle of oil under it :jsm: A quick look underneath and it appears to be coming from it's sump/oil pan gasket, not the kind of thing you expect from a new/unused bike, but maybe a pointer for the few people who have an oil leak and have not been able to locate it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,560 Posts
Wow. That would put me off of buying one. My dealer has some newer bikes and there are no puddles. This kind of thing really shouldn't be a problem these days.

I think we still have problems with valve cover gaskets leaking though, don't we? Mine isn't right now, but it did before... I guess you have to run the bike for that to happen though...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
That is pretty disappointing, the new Harley's dont even leak anymore, havent for a good 15 years. What are the gaskets made of, just paper? They should switch to cometic mls gaskets if thats the case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,937 Posts
Some Guy said:
That is pretty disappointing, the new Harley's dont even leak anymore, havent for a good 15 years. What are the gaskets made of, just paper? They should switch to cometic mls gaskets if thats the case.
The point I was trying to make is that it's the same gasket from 1999 to the latest 1000R/Sennas yet we are only recently hearing of leaks there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,448 Posts
mikef4uk said:
I popped in to my dealer yesterday and he has two new Brutale's side by side, one had a puddle of oil under it :jsm: A quick look underneath and it appears to be coming from it's sump/oil pan gasket, not the kind of thing you expect from a new/unused bike, but maybe a pointer for the few people who have an oil leak and have not been able to locate it

May be they were trying to sell it as a Norton Commando Mike! :laughing:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
JamesC said:
The point I was trying to make is that it's the same gasket from 1999 to the latest 1000R/Sennas yet we are only recently hearing of leaks there.

I got ya, its still bizzare in todays bikes. Its my understandig that alot of the new hondas dont even use gaskets on some parts anymore, the tolerances are so tight that its unnecessary. If it is infact the identical gasket, and it did not leak before, then there must be a discrepency in the manufacturing process between then and now of the oil pan itself, or the crankcase.......scary thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
john said:
May be they were trying to sell it as a Norton Commando Mike! :laughing:
He actually sells Royal Enfield as well :jsm: but he says he has never had one of those leak......................
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,448 Posts
mikef4uk said:
He actually sells Royal Enfield as well :jsm: but he says he has never had one of those leak......................
Isn't that where the Queen keeps her chickens? The Royal Hen Field???? Sorry very old joke!!! :jsm: But I couldn't resist it!!! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,125 Posts
Yeah either that, or they changed the casting methods on the casings?...
I don't know but I had the same problem (alone with some others) and personally I think someone needs to get shot. :bandit:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There appear to be a lot of changes on the 1000R that are only obvious if you've owned MV's before, like for one instance the radiators have a different finish, maybe it's the same manufacurer? and maybe it's not.
The R runs hotter than the S and even this weather temps at standstill run up to 106c easily and DON'T come down, a quick look at the top rad and the iner most side of the cooling fan is about 1/2 inch away from the rad, I never noticed this before? I think they are constantly changing manufactures, and the oil pan leak is just one eg of this, they have probably gone for either a cheaper finish on the oil pan face, or maybe a cheaper gasket.
One thing I think is pretty much certain having owned 3 MV's from early 2000 is the quality is/has dropped slightly :bawling: , it probably needed to to make any money on the bike.

Another example is the rear subframe, early one's were anodised, mine on the R is painted (I think) whatever it is if you rub it, it comes off on your fingers, it's gonna loook real shit in the coming years :stickpoke
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,448 Posts
Thats not good news Mike :cross:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,839 Posts
mikef4uk said:
Another example is the rear subframe, early one's were anodised, mine on the R is painted (I think) whatever it is if you rub it, it comes off on your fingers, it's gonna loook real shit in the coming years :stickpoke
This rubbing off was discussed in a previous thread and is also a problem on some S models.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top