MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This bike is too darned pretty to sell but heck, I've ridden it about 200 miles in the last 4 years and had nothing but issues.

Now it has an oil leak. Its proving difficult to see where its coming from because the bike is so clean and so is the oil. I thought it was the oil pan (sump) so I changed the gasket. It still leaked. Did another gasket. It still leaked. I'm now on gasket #3 and there is no frigging way its coming from the gasket now. I sealed it so well I doubt it'll ever come off again!

From what little I can trace, it seems to be coming from the left side, just above the water pump. Is this common? I did a search and found this thread:

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=96913&highlight=oil+leak

It may be the same issue. Question is, do I have to remove the motor to remedy it if it is this seal?

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
For my self I would clean the area. sprinkle talc ( preferably Johnnsons lol ) around there, start her up and pinpoint precisely the point where the oil is leaking from.

joe

·
Registered
465 Posts
Just remove the clutch slave cylinder and feel or taste if it's brake fluid or oil, much easier.
What does brake fluid taste like?

·
Administrator
19,518 Posts
I must try that....I know 90 weight has a pungent flavor compared to 10-60 synthetic, but hadn't tried brake fluid....wonder if DOT 3-4 is tastier than DOT 5?

:koolaid:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm pretty sure I could smell the difference. I don't fancy tasting it :barfalot: Its definitely oil as there a pools of it under the bike after a while.

Brilliant idea about the talc BTW

I spent most of last night trolling thru the threads and saw a number of instances where oil was leaking from either the clutch slave area or the output shaft. I'll pull them this weekend and take a look.

Donsy - I saw you'd commented on a number of those threads. Can you confirm that those seals are replaceable without removing the motor?

Cheers mate!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Synthetic oil will glow under a black light.
Small hand held black lights are cheap.
Good tool if you run synthetic.

Ed:)

·
Registered
819 Posts
I think all oils will react to the UV light spectrum as they all have some form of hydro carbons. An LED black light that can be focused(flash light style) would probably be best for sussing out a leak. Although, in order to do this one would need to completely clean the engine before being able to pinpoint the problem. Brake clean works well but can be expensive and fairly caustic to parts and especially to paint, so be super careful if using it around the bike.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
I'm pretty sure I could smell the difference. I don't fancy tasting it :barfalot: Its definitely oil as there a pools of it under the bike after a while.

Brilliant idea about the talc BTW

I spent most of last night trolling thru the threads and saw a number of instances where oil was leaking from either the clutch slave area or the output shaft. I'll pull them this weekend and take a look.

Donsy - I saw you'd commented on a number of those threads. Can you confirm that those seals are replaceable without removing the motor?

Cheers mate!
Okay good, great to see you do homework first mate.

This is how I see this going down, if the fluid is leaking out at the bottom of the clutch slave cylinder, and you seem to be sure it's not the clutch hydraulic fluid, then it's oil coming from the engine.

Now if it's leaking out from the clutch push rod, the the gearbox has to be pulled to replace that little seal.

You do not have to pull the motor out to replace this seal !

In my opinion, this seal does not leak very often, but it's not impossible, it's a big job to pull the gearbox if you've not done this before, we've gone through quite a few of these operations on the forum with other guys, hopefully we can find links to this operation.

If you need help and I don't respond on the forum, please email me, a bit busy over here at the moment, and seem to be missing forum notifications.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Appreciated (once again) my friend. I'll pull it and take some pics this weekend.

Cheers

M

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
No worries mate, I just uploaded some pics into my photo album about removing the gearbox, in case you need it. Make sure you go through the workshop manual first, there's important note's on how to avoid breaking your neutral indicator switch by making sure the gearbox is in gear before pulling it out.
The clutch come's out as well.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here we go. I pulled it apart today and here's what I found. Take a look at the pics and tell me if u think its the clutch pushrods seal or the water pump o-ring. I'm leaning towards the o-ring....

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dammit. iPad only allowing one pic at a time. :(. You can see an oil droplet on the bottom of the clutch actuator bolt

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There was a fair bit o dirt in there but not really very oily

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The water pump on the other hand...

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's what the back side looked like

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another shot

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think it's the water pump o ring seal. What do y'all think?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Okay Marc, you're looking at two completely different things now.
If you have fluid leaking out from the clutch slave location, and it does not feel oily as you say, then the fluid leaking out is form the clutch salve seal.

Is there anything (oil) leaking out from the bottom of your waterpump? You never mentioned this leak before, if it is dripping oil over there, then it can only be that o-ring on the waterpump, it's normal to have oil in there, it's there to lube the waterpump bearings.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts