MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This should be a familiar sight for anybody who has lowsided their F4 on the right side. It was a really low speed drop, the plastics took most of the damage. unfortunately there was just enough case rash to cause a small pinhole leak. I cleaned up the rash with my dremel and tried JB weld to repair it, oil just leaked right thru that. then I tried a high temp quik steel that has held together for the last year. I pulled the fairing off today and the patch material was just flaking off.

anybody got any recommendations short of splitting the engine cases that will fill that pinhole?

·
Administrator
19,829 Posts
You are at a pressurized oil galley....but if you do a proper clean up the JB Weld should hold!!
3M makes an aluminium alloy epoxy that is good for crankcase repairs. Expensive and hard to find.
I wonder if the expansion variance between the "steel" epoxy and the aluminum case is causing the failure??

I suspect a really talented welder could patch that up.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are at a pressurized oil galley....but if you do a proper clean up the JB Weld should hold!!
3M makes an aluminium alloy epoxy that is good for crankcase repairs. Expensive and hard to find.
I wonder if the expansion variance between the "steel" epoxy and the aluminum case is causing the failure??

I suspect a really talented welder could patch that up.

I am a semi decent tig welder now, but all I've worked with is carbon steel. I don't think I want my test piece to be my MV. first time I tried JB weld I cleaned up the rashed area with the dremel, cleaned all the surrounding metal with rubbing alcohol and then applied the JB weld. I let it cure for almost two days and it was leaking right past it. I'll have to see if I can find some of that 3M aluminum epoxy, it's got to be available online somewhere.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Can try Marine JB weld. I repaired my pinhole damage on my radiator and its been holding more than half a year. Its been in freezing temps and high heat. Marine JB Weld is for aluminum so maybe its expansion matches that of the aluminum and holds better in the long run?

·
Registered
926 Posts
From your title I thought you wanted someone to recommend where to have one lol. Mine has one out the sump plug every year.......sorry....I will go back in my box.

·
Super Moderator
22,328 Posts

·
Registered
14,499 Posts
?

white07zx6r;
I'm in Redondo Beach, got a bike trailer? Clean all the JB Weld off and bring it on down Saturday or Sunday afternoon
I go Trap Shooting Sunday mornings
You're buying lunch >:)
Text me, the number is in my signature

:wink2:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Noel I unfortunately no longer have a truck or a trailer to tow the bike with. The picture at the top is as the bike currently sits, I plan to clean it really well and try a high temp aluminum epoxy and see if that does the trick. I haven't even had time to pull that bike out of the garage in a couple of weeks

·
Super Moderator
22,328 Posts
From your title I thought you wanted someone to recommend where to have one lol. Mine has one out the sump plug every year.......sorry....I will go back in my box.

First thing I thought was...Don't have one! :grin2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts