MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the belly pan off after a ride today and noticed the inside was gooey and had lots of road debris stuck to it. Though it was kinda strange and inspected more. It looks like i have a very very small oil leak coming from the seal of the oil pan right behind the kickstand. Before i go out and get a new gasket is this something that anyone else has seen before? I dont know the torque specs for the bolts but where its leaking the bolt didnt seem to be too tight. Though after tightening it a very little it still was dripping one or two drops an hour.

any suggestions or remedies.

anybody know the part number for the oil pan gasket...hopefully i dont need a full oil pan :eek:nthecan:

2002 F4

thanks guys

·
Registered
108 Posts
My Brutale has had a leak from the end of the shaft just above the side stand and this leaked down onto that area. I had it fixed under warranty and it went again so I had it fixed not under waranty (by a different dealer) and it is OK. I was told this was quite common.

I think it was caused originally by the dealer over filling the bike with oil. ALthough they denied it. But after the service the oil was above the window even with the bike on its side stand and after losing a pint or so of oil. BUT they still denied it? They aslo said that the original seal had been installed wrong.

John

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Are you completely sure it's not just chain lube that's sprayed around the inside of the front sprocket guard and dribbled down? I get that on mine. I also find the clutch piston seal on my 748 leaks like crazy in the same spot, as do they all. Perhaps it's a fault common to both?

Si

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I would have also suggested the chain lube idea first. If possible, before going through the trouble of the oil pan gasket, can you tape some paper towel above the gasket to ensure it's not running down from a higher location? Some people puff baby powder over the area so you can really trace the oil run. Just make sure you have the correct culprit :)

If it turns out to be the oil pan gasket it's: 800087786

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i put a paper towel under the bike and there were no dripps whatsoever today. Thinking about it i did lube the chain pretty well this past week. Ill just have to keep a closer eye one it for a while.

thanks for the help

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
same problem..leaking oil

I think
I have the same problem with my 1000.....
Oil is gathering on the botton face of the oil pan and dripping off the sump plug...

Very annoying.

I'll check the oil pan bolts....but I'm sure it's the oil pan gasket, as the engine is dry above....

Pete.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I had oil dripping off the bottom of my engine at the back end, and it actually turned out that it was leaking from the filter at the front and running along.

Si

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
funny you guys shoud start this thread, i just got my bike back from the dealer, it had the fullllllll service done, and i just noticeds yesterday that it has a leak, same as u guys mentioned it, it looks like its leaking from the drain plug. im going to take the bike back to them. its still under warranty.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wipe the bike down around the oil pan and let the bike sit for a little while..maybe even take it for a short spin.......mine would gather around the plug but came from a different spot behind the bracket for the side stand

·
Registered
583 Posts
I am going to have to jump on this as my baby leaks also. I noticed it a couple weeks ago but haven't done anything because I am waitting for a oil filter in the mail. I want to change my oil and then degreasse the whole area and see if it does it again. I have already cleaned it up and ran the bike, and noticed it came back. I have noticed a nice build up of it right at the drain plug. Anyone have any ideas on what to do? Mine is a 06 F4 1000s.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Seems to be a bit more common these days, I saw a BRAND new 910 in the dealer with a puddle under it :jsm: he said it was the sump plug, but when I looked under it it was the sump gasket :ahhh:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had this problem last fall on my 05 1000. Seepage on the oil pan below the gasket. The leak wasn't static. It only occurred when the engine had been run at higher rpm. I carefully tightened the oil pan bolts and that fixed the problem.

Joe

·
Registered
583 Posts
Thanks for the heads up I'll try that. JC I was up in your area this weekend. Beautiful country. Great qoute you got also.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
jcmaxwell said:
I had this problem last fall on my 05 1000. Seepage on the oil pan below the gasket. The leak wasn't static. It only occurred when the engine had been run at higher rpm. I carefully tightened the oil pan bolts and that fixed the problem.

Joe
Mines the same..only appears after the bike has been running...booked in tuesday, I'll ley you guys know the outcome...

Seems oil leaks are far more common on the 1000's than the 750's

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
mv2envy said:
funny you guys shoud start this thread, i just got my bike back from the dealer, it had the fullllllll service done, and i just noticeds yesterday that it has a leak, same as u guys mentioned it, it looks like its leaking from the drain plug. im going to take the bike back to them. its still under warranty.
It's like point and shoot leak?

·
Registered
18 Posts
i also had a leak, it turned out to be a seal behind the generator.
it was replaced under warranty.
its not funny to oil in the belly pan.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine is a F4 750 '01 model.
Had the same problem as there were oil leaking dripping down to the side stand.

Went to the mech today and they have to keep the bike to furthur check till the next few day.

Cheers!

·
Registered
337 Posts
i'm having the same problem.....i keep getting oil in the belly pan...i took the fairings off two weeks ago....cleaned the sides of the oil pan and wiped the floor...yesterday...puddle.....it seems to be leaking from the gasket where the side stand is.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts