MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oil leaked out of the head gasket of my F3, have the same trouble?
It is running at 2600 km
We ordered the parts but we still have not received it yet so we are looking at the situation with tightening

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,321 Posts
Are you sure it isn't from the valve cover gasket and just running down to there?

·
Registered
79 Posts
My F3 looked to have the same issue, but it was the valve cover leaking - more so on the left hand side.

Initially tried tightening bolts, but eventually just redid it.

·
Administrator
19,817 Posts
Don't ASSUME it's the head gasket. Do a proper powder test and confirm the source before you throw parts at it.

This stuff makes an awesome powder for oil leak detection.

https://www.huronindustrial.com/crown-by-aervoe-8-5-oz-fault-finder-developer

Just clean the area completely with brake clean. Let it dry, spray the powder in the areas you suspect are the leak source. Start the engine and watch for the powder to turn dark.

·
Administrator
19,817 Posts
Yes I removed the cowl and tank and confirmed it

With a powder test? or just visual inspection of where oil accumulated? If you haven't seen it leaking you can be fooled.
Head gasket leakage on a MV is very unusual.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I removed the cowl and tank and confirmed it

With a powder test? or just visual inspection of where oil accumulated? If you haven't seen it leaking you can be fooled.
Head gasket leakage on a MV is very unusual.
I also expected leakage from the cover, but there was no oil above the head gasket

·
Administrator
19,817 Posts
I also expected leakage from the cover, but there was no oil above the head gasket
Do the powder test...oil is very thin when hot, flows down and sits on any ledge. Confirm before attempting repair. Visual only is not a good diagnosis....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do the powder test...oil is very thin when hot, flows down and sits on any ledge. Confirm before attempting repair. Visual only is not a good diagnosis....
Now I am watching the state by tightening the head bolt in a prescribed way. I will try out a leak check spray as well Thank you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts