1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
trying to fix an oil leak, not a big one
location around sidestand

i don`t think the oil pan is involved at all (previous owner seems to have sealed it without gasket)

i think it`s coming from behind the gear shift cover (36), i don`t think the gear box cover (1) is leaking, it`s just getting peed on from above, the gear shift retainer cover (37) seems to be dry too

could this just be O-Ring (39)?
Question1: Is oil supposed to be behind the gear shift cover, or is a retainer dried up in the gear box cover?
Question 2: To get to the gear shift cover, i have to remove the shift leaver, sprocket cover, clutch slave and water pump, right?
Question 3: Does removing the water pump in one piece without damaging any gaskets or seals present a problem?

thx best regards

---
i hope i don`t have to take the chain/ sprocket off to get to the gear box cover, i have no torque wrench to set the pinch bolts (mv spec too high, i know) and i don`t want to mess with the hub at all if i can avoid it
check out what the previous owner (railroad engineer, died unfortunately) did with the hub, there is a plate in the swingarm (cheap china caliper says pretty much exactly 2mm), never seen that done before, maybe he measured when the pinch bolts squeeze the hub into an egg and kill the bearings and put something inbetween to stop the deformation :unsure:
hub seems to have survived so far

Attachments

·
Old Wing Nut
22,200 Posts
Sump gasket leaks are pretty common as the side stand puts pressure directly there. The sumo pan bolts tend to loosen up. Common repair to just use a sealant and no gasket.

Question1: Is oil supposed to be behind the gear shift cover, or is a retainer dried up in the gear box cover?
Yes, there is oil in the shift change compartment.
Question 2: To get to the gear shift cover, i have to remove the shift leaver, sprocket cover, clutch slave and water pump, right?
Yes, that is correct. It can be done without removing the chain and sprocket
Question 3: Does removing the water pump in one piece without damaging any gaskets or seals present a problem?
You can move the water pump out of the way without draining the system. You should not damage any seal or o-rings in the process with due care.
Go for it....use patience and common sense. Your MV is easy to work on.

Now that swingarm pinch bolt spacer thing??? Get rid of that.

Reactions: mitchy

·
Vendor
5,642 Posts
Buy a torque wrench and get rid of that shim in your swingarm.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Nr. 9 ist auch möglich (wenn die Ölwannendichtung bzw. Dichtmasse bei dir ok ist) und Ritzelsimmerring 100% ausschließen kannst) O-Ring vom kl. Seitendeckel wäre zu einfach aber mögilch) wie bei mir und ich habe auch gesucht fast ohne Ende....... um den Simmerring zu wechseln muss das kpl. Getriebe raus.....(was aber auch kein Problem ist) nur sollte man alle Dichtungen dafür liegen haben...

bis nicht auch in MV Forum D unterwegs oder gewesen?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^ D Forum ist voller Saftsäcke, hier ist es viel angenehmer, welches Forum will meine genaue Privatadresse und dann soll ich mich auch noch vorstellen...
---
oil pan seems bone dry
Question: How is the gear box cover sealed, is that gasket 2, or would the problem be the 7 or 9 retainer, is that a major operation?

·
Registered
265 Posts
ja seit die Admin wechselt haben (Husky) jetzt als neuer Ober Admin ist das Forum nicht mehr das was es mal war und für was das MV Forum stand, vor allem die wachsinnigen Themen die nichts mit Motorrad zu tun haben , (es wandern auch immer mehr User ab inkl. Moderatoren) aber mit sehr viel Kindergarten , ich war seit 2004 dabei , hier ist das wirklich alles sehr viel angenehmer und das ohne Stunk , ok Englisch ist nicht meine Muttersprache aber man kommt klar.

·
Vendor
5,642 Posts
A
ja seit die Admin wechselt haben (Husky) jetzt als neuer Ober Admin ist das Forum nicht mehr das was es mal war und für was das MV Forum stand, vor allem die wachsinnigen Themen die nichts mit Motorrad zu tun haben , (es wandern auch immer mehr User ab inkl. Moderatoren) aber mit sehr viel Kindergarten , ich war seit 2004 dabei , hier ist das wirklich alles sehr viel angenehmer und das ohne Stunk , ok Englisch ist nicht meine Muttersprache aber man kommt klar.
Any chance you can translate to English?

·
Registered
265 Posts
yes of course, but you too But no language in the world is prescribed or ;)

·
Registered
265 Posts
ok sorry, a misunderstanding on my part yes his assessment is completely correct and true

·
Registered
265 Posts
amazing how the MV Forum Germany is not popular worldwide and that only by the admin and a few users

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
after some more investigation, to get to the problematic retainer/ seal, the gear shift cover has to come out, the gearbox is assembled on the cover, to get the cover off the clutch has to be taken out on the right, the cover is then hammered out to the left
the engine manual is ok, but i have found a video about the clutch/ gearbox assembly which is better
unfortunately it doesn`t show how to remove the mainshaft to get to retainer 9 that seals the clutch push rod
Question 1: i`m guessing the whole gear assembly has to be pulled in one piece?
Question 2: does anybody know what size retainer 9 is?
the retainer that seals the countershaft/ sprocket is 35x47x7 nbr as(stands for version with dust lip on inside) but it`s dry on my bike, apparently you can change it from the outside aswell
the little subber seal 2 seems to have gone bad too

btw isn`t my clutch push rod in the wrong way, i thought the rifled part is supposed to be at the right clutch side

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
24,123 Posts
Both the Engine and the Frame manuals are unclear on this. The only picture I could find has a hint of spiral showing, I think....

Not that it matter in this case, but is this a Brutale or an F4? Year?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hallo So hat die Öldichtung aus der Kupplungsdruckstange, wie ich vermutete Nr. 9 Diese Simmerrin bricht gerne, wenn Sie die KupplungSpuder stange den ganzen Weg nach außen und wieder in die Stange setzen, die eine spiralförmige Nut hat, die sehr, sehr schafkantig ist und die köchelnde !!! für die Reparatur muss das Getriebe herausgenommen werden alles weiter erklärt sich viel Spaß

Simmerring wird von innen auswechsel:(:rolleyes: ( 8x16x5 MV 800064296)

IMG_20210620_151723.jpg
IMG_20210620_151728.jpg

·
Registered
265 Posts
after some more investigation, to get to the problematic retainer/ seal, the gear shift cover has to come out, the gearbox is assembled on the cover, to get the cover off the clutch has to be taken out on the right, the cover is then hammered out to the left
the engine manual is ok, but i have found a video about the clutch/ gearbox assembly which is better
unfortunately it doesn`t show how to remove the mainshaft to get to retainer 9 that seals the clutch push rod
the retainer that seals the countershaft/ sprocket is 35x47x7 nbr as(stands for version with dust lip on inside) but it`s dry on my bike, apparently you can change it from the outside aswell

btw isn`t my clutch push rod in the wrong way, i thought the rifled part is supposed to be at the right clutch side
the rod comes in the other way around and that is also a problem for the oil seal, it often breaks through the sharp groove!

·
Registered
265 Posts

your push rod is inserted the wrong way round

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i think the early engines are all basicly the same

yes, the rod seems to be in the wrong way, i have found only one other reference regarding the rifled/ grooved end anywhere and apparently it should go into the clutch, a bit weird, i don`t think the engine has ever been opened, snafu at factory maybe
thx, push rod seal is 8x16x5 NBR Shore 70 was/ basl(stands for dustlip) and is also freely available

that just leaves how to seperate the gear box from the cover without the mv tool

1 - 18 of 18 Posts