MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have the dragster, while checking the oil level today. oil felt quite thin and also had a smell of petrol. Oil level was above max mark.

what could be the causes and how could i fix this problem.

Running rich is one of the causes of oil smelling of gas, when the mixture is too rich and doesn't burn the fuel, which then seeps down the cylinder. Was just wondering if there was anything else i need to be looking into.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
How many km?

Does it have the latest fuel map? Wouldn't ride it with contaminated oil. Possibly a leaky fuel injector?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bike only has 2100 kilometers on the clock.
About a month ago I had crashed my bike due to a speed wobble and the bike was sliding on its right for over 100 meters or more.
Since then been putting the bike back together. And noticed the oil level and smell of petrol in oil.
Have started the bike couple times and a friend rode it for 20 kilometers.

The bike was updated with the current map before I purchased

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
So you crashed it and haven't changed the oil yet?

Well then change the oil and filter and see what it does after 100km. Maybe that alone should be ok.

Diluted oil will cause major headaches for you (bearing and crank failures). Change it now.

Also get out of the habit of starting it in the garage and not riding it. That also creates a lot of issues down the line. The only way to get the bike to operating temperature is to start it and ride it. Idling in the garage allows serious condensation to form in the exhaust (and motor). I did it once and it was like I filled the exhaust with a hose.

·
Old Wing Nut
22,159 Posts
Only a couple of ways for fuel to get in the oil on an injected bike like yours.....washing down the cylinders from extremely rich and mis-firing combustion (the bike would have to run like crap and would be blowing lots of black smoke and flames if it was that rich), or from an injector leaking from residual fuel line pressure when the engine has been shut down.

Good advice from PTsalas......change the oil now!! Then keep an eye on it. When you crashed (wobble? wow..Dragster must not handle as well as other MVs??) the tip-over switch would have killed ignition and fuel pump, but the engine may still have been turning as you slid along. The injectors would still be firing, but the ignition would not, so the pump pressure would all flow unburned into your intake tracts via the injectors until the engine stopped turning.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Hope the crash wasn't too bad and you are OK.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PTsales & esq'z me,

thanks for the advise. I shall do the complete oil change tomorrow some time. Was waiting for the weekend so i would have more time in my hand to do the service in peace.

The only reason i had been starting the bike on its stand, is due to the scaphoid fracture i got while i crashed. Cast finally came out, however i am on a wrist thump spica for the next month then physio. Still can't ride for another 6-8 weeks.

got the speed wobble at over 140 kph, thought earlier crashed at slower speeds. But went back to the crash site and measured the distance, and the bike was sliding for just a little short of 200 meters. lol. Luckily only had a scaphoid fracture. Bike is fixed and ready to be on the road. Just waiting for two more fairings to complete along with the oil change and figuring out the correct suspension setting for my weight.

·
Old Wing Nut
22,159 Posts
Yikes....scaphoid (navicular) is a hard one to heal. My right wrist was broken in a motocross race in 1973. They didn't know how to treat them back then like they do today. They didn't even find the break in x-rays until 3 weeks later when water skiing pulled it apart a bit more.

Whatever else you do, follow your doctor's orders on this one. and don't rush it. 40+ years later my right wrist has very little flexibility, and surgery was required to ease the pain 8 years ago.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
esq'z… dayum so must have taken you forever to heal.. even in this day and age. i am still getting miss diagnosed with my drs now lol…. they just found a second break on my wrist after the scaphoid with tons of ligament damage. lol…. seems like its gonna be while till i hit the road hard again lol.

is there a possibility that the valves may be sticking or bent which causing the fuel to come down into the oil sump?

·
Old Wing Nut
22,159 Posts
is there a possibility that the valves may be sticking or bent which causing the fuel to come down into the oil sump?
No.

·
Registered
14,741 Posts
gas in the oil.....?

its from the crash......probably through the breather while sliding or being

put back on its wheels

it basically won't make it past the piston rings

I've seen a lot of abused motors rarely is there gas in the oil.......

now water :jsm::jsm:

·
Super Moderator
24,098 Posts
Cindy's 1090RR had to suffer through lying on its side for FOUR HOURS while waiting for me to get home from work. (A little mishap in the driveway.)

Anyway, I stood the bike up, let it sit for a day, and then fired that pig up. It fogged the neighborhood for about five minutes and it's been fine ever since.

If you are still concerned, change the oil. All should be well.

·
Super Moderator
24,098 Posts
She's much smarter than that.:nerd:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts