1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
22,354 Posts
Dave, Dave, Dave....there have been extensive threads and studies, and studies of threads on oil, and oil filters, and tires, and, and, and.....

Of those listed, the Purolator PL14612 blows away the competition for filtering and price.

Will it never end....

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will NEVER end ;)
But in all honesty if we all change our oil every 5000km and use top quality oil, I feel like a fram 6607 will be as good as anything else.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I changed my Oil pan gasket yesterday and there was a tiny bit of sludge in the pan and a few small metal shavings in the sump plastic filter element. Nothing I would ever be concerned about.

·
Super Moderator
22,354 Posts
It will NEVER end ;)
But in all honesty if we all change our oil every 5000km and use top quality oil, I feel like a fram 6607 will be as good as anything else.

Ok, don't look up the research and see the difference.

Use The Force and Feel which is best....:stickpoke

·
Super Moderator
22,354 Posts
Here is a You Tube comparison of those two brands (FRAM and Purolator) for a Camary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIcFgjEikUY

Aside from the construction, look at the amount of filter media....

Can you feel it?

·
Registered
14,502 Posts
? No they're not the same

In Chuck's video they compared a Fram and a Purolator "L" series filter......in

comparison the Fram is a POS......

"L" series filters are made in China....they're white

You want the "PL-14612" it's sort of yellow and made in the US ...... The Mobil 1 M-108

is of equal quality but has less filter media and costs ~80% more

We've had members post pictures of K & N that cracked around the welded on nut for

filter removal..... :wtf::wtf:

:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The amount of filters available is truly mind blowing. Would you say that if its made in the USA that its of reasonable quality? Champ labs seems to make tons of them. Hell there's even one that has a John Deere stamp on it. Made in the USA. $7 Canadian dollars.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The amount of filters available is truly mind blowing. Would you say that if its made in the USA that its of reasonable quality? Champ labs seems to make tons of them. Hell there's even one that has a John Deere stamp on it. Made in the USA. $7 Canadian dollars.[/QUOTE

Or just use a Purolator PL-14612 as the experts suggest

·
Registered
14,502 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Might have been brought up before but I didn't know that Oil filters for our first gen bikes are used in tons of cars! Several models of Nissan, Subaru, Infiniti etc. I did a search for my 2008 Nissan Sentra 2.0 oil filter and its the same as the 2005 F4 1000. Bosch 3300, Mobile 1 M1-108, Purolator PL14612, FRAM PH 6607, WIX 51358, K&N 1008 series and more!
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Oil+Filter/C0289/C0023.oap?model=Sentra&vi=1441154&year=2008&make=Nissan
And you missed Hi-Flow HF554, who has now left the K7N partnership and make a well recommended race filter too.
http://www.hiflofiltro.com/catalogue/filter/HF554

·
Registered
1,221 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,354 Posts
What the difference in the HiFlo filters ?
They quote one for the 1000S and another number for the 1000R312 which then they also do the 'race version'

The difference is probably the height of the filter. Some of these bikes have headers that run closer to the engine and require a shorter filter.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
There list shows just 1mm difference if I remember !

Noel's purolator is like an inch longer and fits them all !

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
There list shows just 1mm difference if I remember !

Noel's purolator is like an inch longer and fits them all !
You have the "other" Purolator or something Adam, maybe the longer version which Noel has listed, which hit's a lot of header pipes.

The regular/original Hi-Flowfilter HF 554 is only +/-10mm shorter that the PL146012, we cant get any Purolator's in Aus.

From what I remember the HF 204 was the original K&N / Hi-Flo combined filter, do not quote me on this though.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Well I bought the, by the Knurl. recommended Purolater PureONE back in December.
I bought the longer and the shorter version PL14610 and PL14612.
Guess what?
The PL14612 doesn't fit my F4S unless You disassemble the right hand headers.
So of to O'Reiley's I went and got a Mobil 1 M-108 which fits.
Just my 0,02 on the worlds leading filter.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Personally, I buy the original manufacturers filter with MV stamped on it. For the few extra bucks it costs and it comes with the clamp its the right choice. Wouldnt buy a Veyron and fit some cheapo filter on it, so why do it to your MV

1 - 20 of 40 Posts