MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the life of me, I can't remove the oil filler plug on the 910R!

As I normally do when I work on things mechanical, I made sure that I could get to everything and loosen things I needed to remove later. The sump plug was very tight, but I managed to undo it - but I can't budge the top plug (see pic below).

Does anyone have any ideas/hints/tips? Does the engine have to be hot in order for the plug to loosen etc.?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Make sure you have the hex fully inserted. Don't try to apply steady pressure, instead give a few jolts to break it loose. If I remember correctly mine was tight. I had warmed up the engine before draining the oil but it wasn't very hot by the time I pulled the filler plug.

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Koop. I did have the hex fully inserted, but I'll give the jolting a try.

·
Registered
284 Posts
use the hex, if you cant undo it by hand, put a closed wrench small enough to catch the end of the hex on it, this will give you more leverage, sort of like a breaker bar kinda. I use tools all the times, those hex wrenches can be a pain. Next time save yourself the trouble and buy a set of T handle hex wrenches or a socket set of hexes with the ratchet.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I use sockets from snap-on so can fit all the usual bars and ratchets to them. Also you can then use an impact wrench to give it a jolt ans save the nut. Bit too far for a run to try mine?

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

That depends john348 - where are you? :)

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm on the way! It should have worked itself loose by the time I get there! :)

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Its a little extreme but as a last resort I would use an impact wrench.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts