MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a little search and couldn't figure out consensus on this topic.

Do you all change per miles or per duration (days/months) ?

Some of us will never get 3K in a year, so whats the solution to a situation like that?

With oil being a lot more advanced and engines being way more efficient, the whole 3K/3M thing seem a little bit of waste IMO.

Whats all your thoughts?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Mine's done every 6000km. I easily do that in about 6 months though.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I would suggest not to exeed MV's given milage, keep in mind that oil in a motorcycle aging faster as in a car due the wet clutch & gearbox attributes

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I do mine every 2000km , its quick and easy and oil is cheap. Granted I do some track days in those 2000km. That's about the time it starts getting dark.

Do check your oil for silver glitter. Mine is at 10000km and I'm still getting aluminium glitter in the oil so I will keep changing oil at 2000km until its clear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Oil change should be done every 15,000km(9,000 miles) according to MV Agusta. http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=237346

Ducati 1299 Panigale, Kawasaki ZX10R, Yamaha R1, etc... all recommend every 12,000km(7,500 miles) but I guess MV has longer maintenance interval.

Some people said that you can even go a little longer too.

Changing oil every 2,000 km is not only waste of your money, but waste of our limited resources.
Oil technology has improved significantly compare to back in the day, frequent change is not needed especially you use synthetic.

If you do Google research, there are so many article showing all the lab results about how oil barely even downgraded at 10,000+ miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I do mine every 2000km , its quick and easy and oil is cheap. Granted I do some track days in those 2000km. That's about the time it starts getting dark.

Do check your oil for silver glitter. Mine is at 10000km and I'm still getting aluminium glitter in the oil so I will keep changing oil at 2000km until its clear.
oh you do get silver glitter...interesting...then maybe in that case frequent change might be fine

·
Registered
590 Posts
Oil change should be done every 15,000km(9,000 miles) according to MV Agusta. http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=237346

Ducati 1299 Panigale, Kawasaki ZX10R, Yamaha R1, etc... all recommend every 12,000km(7,500 miles) but I guess MV has longer maintenance interval.

Some people said that you can even go a little longer too.

Changing oil every 2,000 km is not only waste of your money, but waste of our limited resources.
Oil technology has improved significantly compare to back in the day, frequent change is not needed especially you use synthetic.

If you do Google research, there are so many article showing all the lab results about how oil barely even downgraded at 10,000+ miles.
That schedule you've linked is for the TV, for the B3/Dragster etc it says change every 6000km

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Turismo Veloce every 15000km all the other MV's 6000km. The power and torque on the TV is much lower than on the other bikes so it doesn't stress the engine's internal parts as much.

I change every year or mileage, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Smell your oil every time you check the level , if it smells gasoline ,change it , it contains lot more diluted organics and thefore loose ability to endure higher stresses.
I work for a big oil racing company (F1 and motogp) they are following they products constantly , they can prevent big issues like Yamaha this last sunday.(they forget more fuel=more power=more stress)
Every time you start a cold engine , the oil takes a dilution>> ride6000 km in a row it's better than 1km 6000times at cold start . There is no a sure rule, you have to adapt your feeling; for me every 3500KM because only a few fresh oil is changed (2,5 liters and 1 liter remains in the crank =dilution, dilution ) I use my bike like racing but only revving when warmed. I use DEI for the cooling aspect (cold is bad but too hot also). I regrease the rear hub every 12000km too for the same goal >>efficiency-reliable:stickpoke:f4:

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
A good idea to change oil/filter annually even if you don't do a lot of miles, Especially if you live somewhere where it gets cold/isn't used in the winter as condensation will form inside the engine casings and mix with the oil.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts