MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So considering my recently purchased F4 hasn't had an oil change in 6 years, during which time it's only done about 500 miles, I thought it'd be prudent to change the oil and filter in case the oil had started to break-down, (or whatever it is that old oil does..)

I bought some oil and a filter, got home, stripped the plastics, and then found I couldn't get the filter off. At least, not without figuring out how to remove the radiator and cooler vent - (single rad F4.)

So, I decided to drain the oil and replace it and leave the filter in place. I know this means there's about 1/4 litre old oil remaining, and you shouldn't mix old and new, but do you think it'd really make a difference? It's not like the filter's done many miles.

That reminds me also: does anybody routinely drill and lockwire their sump plugs? A friend of mine had his fall out the day after a dealer service(!) and nearly cost him his bike, not to mention his life. Seems like a really sensible thing to do, but is so frowned upon incase it's viewed as evidence the bike's been raced. I'm surprised more people don't do it. (Can always replace it before selling a bike anyhow.)

Si

·
Registered
479 Posts
Get that filter off. You're going to HAVE to do it at some point anyway. If you can't do it, bite the bullet and pay a mechanic.

My plug is safety wired. (the filter would be too if MV didn't provide the neat little "recall" bracket) There was already a hole in the small web in front of the plug. I took a drill and drilled the bolt in about a minute (still in the bike). Very easy job to do.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you search there is a few posts on cutting an easily found oil filter wrench so that it will clear the headers.. or punch it through with an awl and use that as a fulcrum.

Coleman.

(I think thats the first time I have ever typed the word "awl"

-

1 - 3 of 3 Posts